Napoleon on Aussie TV??

did anyone else catch 'Insight' on the SBS just then?

it was a debate about gangs in australia, i only walked in last 10 minutes, but Napoleon (i'm pretty damn sure it was him; his name was Napoleon & he was from the States as they said & looked like him; so i'm 99.5% sure) ... at the end the host wanted just some final words from the key players & she named him & said that he had been quiet & just listenin & then he spoke how he believed the Police task force "Operation Middle Eastern" or alike was the most racist thing he'd ever heard of.. anyone else catch this?

i woulda been interested to see how he was introduced... maybe someone from WA can catch it..maybe even cap it? some Napo fans may be interested

part 2, what is he doing in Australia? concerts? anyone heard..i'd be sure to catch him if he is....any info would be appreciated !

Napolean came maybe over a month ago. He did a talk at Homebush I think about his life and religion. My mate who trains at Lidcombe Boxing Gym seen him there and met him. A few boys there went to put on a 2Pac cd and Napoleon told them not too; he supposedly said that music was bad and he didn't want to listen to it.

Anyways, yea that was him on SBS. I jus walked in the last 5 mins so I missed all of it. They have a repeat of the progam on at 1PM on Friday so catch it then. There is another repeat on Sunday too I think.

There was a piece about him at the beginning of the show, how he had changed and everything from the "gangster rapper with connections with the Bloods" to one who is guided by faith.

thanks for the info simo, what is you guys experience with gangs in australia?.. i dont get it to be honest, from my experience the type of person who seems to be attracted to gangs are the same guys who acted fools all thru school...were too cool to sit quiet & listen & then find themselves to only be understood by other slackers...& then they fall back on there reasons for anti-social behaviour cause theres no jobs for them & whinge..i do agree having an Operation Middle Eastern" or whatever it was aint right...but like the copper said they are finding guns & knifes, so why not target more (is what they must think)

the reality is, what is the violence or need to in a gang for? to defend against other gangs thats it...do they even realise they are the problem & soloution? ... most of its just copycat crap, like the bloods?

most need to work out why they are angry, what they are unhappy about & do something positive to better the situation, joining an anti-social gang aint gonna help u fit into the community is it? no, u'll only be targeted by the police, so what? u can complain about police harrassment?

sure your thoughts...

Fonzy` said:
the reality is, what is the violence or need to in a gang for? to defend against other gangs thats it...do they even realise they are the problem & soloution?
No, I wouldn't say that at all. Perhaps joining a gang gives someone an easily accessible means to identify with something bigger than themselves, since the Cronulla-going, mainstream Australian public considers them an abhorrence.

most need to work out why they are angry, what they are unhappy about & do something positive to better the situation, joining an anti-social gang aint gonna help u fit into the community is it? no, u'll only be targeted by the police, so what? u can complain about police harrassment?

sure your thoughts...
It's only their fault that they are angry? I mean sure, if it is a middle-class, white male with anger issues, then you could say he is in a position where he threw a whole lot of material wealth and potential away to join a gang, but when the community doesn't really want someone to fit in, then what use is not joining an "anti-social" gang going to do? Learned helplessness, people may have got to a point where they give up attempts at assimilation after they are bombarded with media representations of themselves as "gang rapists" and "gangsters".

I need to make it clear that I don't mean to imply all, or perhaps even most, cases are from youth being rejected by the mainstream community. However, I am sure that the number entering gangs via these means is growing and growing. Instead of pointing fingers to blame, saying these kids are simply the cause of the conflict, why not see them as more of an effect of something greater? I assume the answer to that is the lack of reflecting that we Australians like to do. We have a Prime Minister who refuses to focus on the down-side of our country, he continually reminds us of how proud we should be, at the expense of all those who are not considered the "average Australian" (basically everyone except a straight, white male).

i just realised how racist the middle eastern crime force thing sounds... lol.. "middle eastern". i could not imagine an openly titled "african american crime force" existing in the US, no matter how much statistsics suggest things. how fucking racist!

tAKEN FROM tRU-pRINCIPLES THREAD "UPDATE ON NAPOLEON" IN NAPOLEONS FORUM

Give up your guns or face the music
Simon Kearney says policing and a campaign against the message of gangsta rap may cut crime in Sydney's suburbs
July 01, 2006
MUTAH Beale may not be familiar in mainstream circles, but to the Muslim gangs of western Sydney he is a music star. Better known as Napoleon, the offsider of slain American gangsta rapper Tupac Shakur, Beale, 29, is coming to Sydney later this month on a mission to convince notoriously violent gang members to give up their guns.

He is seen as a modern-day Cat Stevens. Until last year, Napoleon was singing about carrying his Glock pistol and praying to Allah while holding his "loaded 45"; but, like Stevens, he has recently given up music in deference to his Islamic faith and hopes by example to turn others from a life of crime.

"I come from the lifestyle where we was preaching gangsta music and also we was really doing most of that stuff," he tells Inquirer.

"The kids on the street they want to go do it, they end up in jail, or killing someone, or on drugs, something like that."

His visit is part of an effort by a Muslim youth group in Sydney's west to do something about gang violence that earlier this year led to three deaths in a spate of drive-by shootings.

The murders of two men, Bassam Chami and Ibrahim Assad, on a Granville street on March 29 led to the creation of a permanent police squad targeting Middle Eastern crime and a policy of zero tolerance.

"You've got to hit (the people responsible) at all levels," says the Middle Eastern organised crime squad's commander Ken McKay. "The blokes that are criminals have a total contempt for the law; (when) they're not doing the high-level stuff, they're driving around without licences. In the first month we've arrested over 55 people, everything from disqualified drivers to murder, drug and gun matters."

McKay rates his squad a success but it is early days. His intelligence tells him the criminal networks he's up against are unlike anything else operating in NSW.

Not everyone in the Muslim community agrees with the squad's approach. The death of Chami hit Muslim youth leader Fadi Rahman hard. He knew the promising young boxer, who he believes was putting his chequered past behind him.

Rahman believes police heavy-handedness cannot change people such as Chami, who had served a prison term for manslaughter.

"Taskforces are the totally wrong approach. What you're doing is taking a minor criminal, putting them in prison with hardened criminals, (and) when they come out they're more hardened than when they went in," Rahman says.

Beale was raised amid horrific violence, witnessing at the age of three the murder of his parents and, at 19, the 1996 drive-by killing of Tupac in Las Vegas. Later that year, his childhood friend and fellow rapper Kadafi was shot and killed in a drug-fuelled accident.

He agrees with Rahman that a tough police approach will not diminish a propensity towards violence. "The police can do anything they want, they don't stop nothing," he says. "It's really up to the people in the neighbourhood to start with one person to change, then somebody might follow him, and then somebody will follow him."

Rahman hopes more than 2000 people will turn up to hear Beale speak on July 14 at Sydney's Homebush Sports Centre. The message is simple, says Beale: ignore the music, return to your religion and look to others setting a good example.

"There's people in my neighbourhood, they used to be criminals, they used to be bank robbers, they used to be killers. They became Muslim and nobody would even hear a cuss word coming out of their mouth," he says.

"Music glorifies everything that is totally against Islam. It glorifies lying, stealing, murder, raping. They're feeding this stuff to our kids. If you listen to this stuff, you get brainwashed into believing it."

In the community the influence of artists such as Tupac is well known.

"This is all because of listening to Tupac," a middle-aged father said at the scene of another western Sydney murder in April, that of 22-year-old Iraqi Ashor Audisho.

University of Sydney academic Ian Maxwell, who has studied the influence of hip-hop music in Australia, says gangsta rap gives alienated young men an identity and a philosophy that fits neatly with their situation and beliefs.

Maxwell says gangsta rap has links with the American Nation of Islam movement and glorifies a violent life, and deaths such as Tupac's.

"It's a redemption through living violently, this idea that there's a kind of authenticity and truthfulness in living in a violent way," he says.

But former NSW detective and University of Western Sydney academic Michael Kennedy says gangsta rap is a "grossly inadequate explanation" for violence.

" (Violence) is about jobs, it's about housing, it's about public health," he says.

Unemployment among first-generation Lebanese in Sydney is high: 39 per cent of men between 25 and 44 are jobless, a Monash University study found recently.

"When the opportunities to get out of the mess are limited, they turn to crime," Kennedy says. And crime means guns.

"It's just part and parcel of being a good crook. They carry them because other people carry them. They fire them because they're worried other people will fire first or to retaliate," he says.

That is the rationale behind McKay's strategy and why members of his 108-strong squad are out on Saturday nights searching hotted-up cars up and down strips popular with young Middle Eastern men, looking for guns and drugs. And it is likely the men being searched will be wearing chunky gold jewellery and baseball caps, and listening to their American idols, gangsta rappers such as Tupac and Napoleon.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
simo said:
A few boys there went to put on a 2Pac cd and Napoleon told them not too; he supposedly said that music was bad and he didn't want to listen to it.
If that is true than Napo has lost all of my respect and support.

Rukas said:
If that is true than Napo has lost all of my respect and support.
Why did he lose your respect, he is a practicing peaceful Muslim, he regrets everything he's done in the past, everyone should respect him. Napoleon has something 2pac never had, and that's Islam.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
† $ta$h † said:
Why did he lose your respect, he is a practicing peaceful Muslim, he regrets everything he's done in the past, everyone should respect him. Napoleon has something 2pac never had, and that's Islam.
You're telling me Islam makes Napoleon turn his back on the man who loved him, took him in, helped raise him, made him the man he was, saved his life, put food in his stomach and clothes on his back, gave him his name, gave him a career, etc etc?

I seriously doubt that, or else it's a pretty shitty religion, which I am sure you'll say it isnt, therefore, it's not Islam's doing, it is Napoleon's, and thus I lose respect for him.

You're telling me Islam makes Napoleon turn his back on the man who loved him, took him in, helped raise him, made him the man he was, saved his life, put food in his stomach and clothes on his back, gave him his name, gave him a career, etc etc?

I seriously doubt that, or else it's a pretty shitty religion, which I am sure you'll say it isnt, therefore, it's not Islam's doing, it is Napoleon's, and thus I lose respect for him.

It's a shitty religion? By that statement alone, the immaturity level you poses is apparent, I'm not going to have a big childish debate with someone ignorant of Islam.

Second, he still loves Tupac, more then you can imagine, but he doesn't want to listen to RAP, not only to Tupac, he doesn't want to hear about "gangsta poppin" and "shooting fo-fo's" and "busting caps". He's mature now, and found a religion that he is satisfied with.

I guess shitty religions have almost 210,000 converters yearly, and none from Islam that convert to other religions lol.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
† $ta$h † said:
It's a shitty religion? By that statement alone, the immaturity level you poses is apparent, I'm not going to have a big childish debate with someone ignorant of Islam.
I never said it was a shitty religion, therefore your lack of understanding nulifies the basis of any further debate on the topic.

I clearly stated it was not the case and therefore was not a shitty religion. Im not attacking Islam, and have a lot of respect for the faith. I have two homies in this world sitting on the couch next to me that Id kill for, die for and they would do the same. Out of the three of us, I am Christian, one is a none believer and one is muslim, therefore I am very open minded on all faiths and lack of faiths as learnt through many a drunken debates.

Dont think you know my stance on Islam based upon your understanding, or rather lack of understanding, of one sentance.

Second, he still loves Tupac, more then you can imagine, but he doesn't want to listen to RAP, not only to Tupac, he doesn't want to hear about "gangsta poppin" and "shooting fo-fo's" and "busting caps". He's mature now, and found a religion that he is satisfied with.
Therefore he should educate instead of telling them not to listen to Tupac, if you think that is all Pac rapped about you seriously need to re listen to your catalogue. He could have said, "sure Ill listen to some Pac wit ya all but put on something positive."

Pac and Hip-Hop saved his life, gave him a life for him his kids and his family, and by comments like that he is disrespecting them and turning his back on them, there is no explenation.

I guess shitty religions have almost 210,000 converters yearly, and none from Islam that convert to other religions lol.
Riiiiigghhhttt.... :rolleyes: (FYI, I know three people personally that converted from Islam.... But I am sure you know better, and this isnt a religious debate, refer back to my first paragraph and learn to read.)

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
I mean dont get me wrong, Ill always have respect for Napo as a man and for everything he has achieved, but I just dont agree wit him on this call. We both grown men and we allowed to have different opinions, and shit we could sit down and discuss it like to intellectuals anytime, because we both men, and thats what men do.... But that is my opinion.

If his is what he needs to get through then best of luck to him, he has my support, we just dont share the same view.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
† $ta$h † said:

You're talking like you and Napoleon are close. If that's so, then from your talking I guess he hasn't told you about the guest appearance on his brothers upcoming Rap album.

Can't dislike rap that much can he?

I'm guessing this report isn't accurate or there was a different reason why he asked for the cd to be turned off.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.