My review of 50 Cent - The Massacre

I'm high as hell, bored, and I know more about hip-hop than you do. :D
Here's my review of 50 Cent's The Massacre....

Intro: 2/5
Pretty unimagitive as far as intros go. Gunshots going off.. its been done in so many skits before it barely has an effect this time around.. Would have rather have heard another coin drop instead.. Whatever..

In My Hood: 4.5/5
Good first track.. production is very tight. 50 runs thru the usual "niggaz is grimey in my hood, they pop gats and shit" talk he's so well known for.. His flow and lyrics are both tight in this track. The drum loop sounds eerily similar to "I Can" by Nas...

This Is 50: 4/5
Menacing gangster beat... 50 rocks a nice flow, stretching out the last word in every line.. he says he's "tired of telling niggaz over and over" that he's a gangsta and whatnot, he'll clap u, etc.. well some of us are tired of hearing it as well... The hook sounds a lot like shit he's put out before.. This song fails to come across as a definite banger, and already we've lost the consistency that made GRODT the album it was.

I'm Supposed To Die Tonight: 4.5/5
Eminem comes thru with a not-so Eminemish beat, which is a nice relief. The same slow, melodramatic strings are here, but Slim makes use of a nice sharp snare and kicks I've never really heard from him before. As for 50, he kills the hook as is the case for most songs on the CD.. as for the verses, they are decent, but he's not beng as deep as he was on "Many Men"...

Piggy Bank: 3.5/5
The infamous "call-out" song... takes shots at Nas, Fat Joe, Jadakiss & Shyne.. Needlz's beat is pretty nice and 50 keeps things interesting with his shit-talking and catchy hook and bridge. His verses are short and besides the shots he takes at the other rappers, aimless as well. His rhyme scheme is so elementary I wonder if he even bothers to ever revise or edit anything he writes. The 2nd verse ends with, "these are warning shots, after your next move I'll give u what I got." He shoulda said "all I got".. it rhymes better. Em woulda known that... 50 rhymes are seriously very weak considering how much he hyped up this track.

Gatman & Robbin': 2.5/5
What the fuck is this shit? Eminem is obviously obsessed with the original Batman series. I can understand to an extent, I used to watch the show myself... but Em has already had a track ("Business" off The Eminem Show) that jacks the whole Batman idea.. not to mention the video for "Without Me" has Em dressed up as Robin and Dre driving what I remember to be the Batmobile.. Anyhow, the beat samples the Batman theme and it sounds so cheesy I don't know how the fuck this song made the cut. I read somewhere that 50 recorded over 60 songs for this album.. if this track is better than some 40-odd tracks that were cut, then 50 just sucks. Maybe they thought Em's "hey I rap completely to beat!" verse would impress people, but it fails in comparison to the other times he's done this and actually did it well ("Like Toy Soldiers")... this track is just pure cheese. Their creative juices must be dry from all that money they have...

Candy Shop: 4/5
Scott Storch tries to get that "Lean Back" feeling once more, and although he doesn't come as hard, the beat is still a nice club rhythm... 50 actually raps well in this track.. it's all about fuckin and sex so that gives him a topic besides the usual gun-clap/u know what i'm about/crack/rims/money shit this album dwells on. Good club track, but not on the level of "In Da Club".... which brings us to....

Outta Control: 3/5
Here we go... Dre & 50 once more. It's gon be insane right?? Nah... not really. Dre really must be saving his heat for the Detox album because this beat is basically "Not Today" by Mary J. Blige and "Higher" by The Game meshed together.. 50's rhymes, hook and everything in between go nowhere. Aimless is the word I'm looking for. On top of that, 50 jacks the hook from the title track to the "Set It Off" original soundtrack... whatever, this song in the club will still get u shaking ur ass, but it's not worth actually listening to.

Get In My Car: 4/5
This song is good enough to be on GRODT. Hi-Tek's beat doesn't sound like anything else on the album, and 50 comes thru with lines we actually haven't heard from him a million times... for fuck's sake, 50, all u need to do is come with NEW lyrics and we love you... The hook is catchy as well. Not quite single material, but a good track nonetheless.

Ski Mask Way: 4.5/5
So 50's rapping about being a crook... the beat is sick with some nice vocal samples. This just works.. good track.

A Baltimore Love Thing: 3.5/5
50 hyped this track up in many interviews as well. It doesn't quite live up to what it could have been... beat is decent, hook is decent... 50 raps from the perspective of heroin as if its in love with an addict. The concept itself sounds much better than the verses are.. 50 is so direct with his language there really is no metaphor at all..

Rider Music: 4.5/5
Hi-Tek comes through with a nice moving bassline, much like in "Running" by The Game.. 50 comes nice on this track. As the name implies, it sounds real nice in a car system... tight track.

Disco Inferno: 3.5/5
50 has realized something: "The flow sounds sicker over Dre drums, nigga".... very perceptive, 50.. but what in the fuck are u talking about? Although it sounds extremely Dre-ish, the song was not actually produced by Dr. Dre.. I don't get it... Despite it not being Dre, the song is completely about the beat, which will rock in the clubs... the lyrics are possibly the worst shit I've ever heard in my life... It's like 50 doesn't want to ruin the song by rhyming anything but the purest of nonsense.. I guess it's destracting to think about words and such when a girl is shake, shake, shakin that ass.... whoaaa....

A Lil Bit: 4.5/5
By far, the best club track on the album... but with "Candy Shop" and "Disco Inferno" already released as singles, it would be a mistake to put this out anytime soon as they all follow the same formula.. Scott Storch's beat is just dirty... 50's hook is hypnotic, and is the vocal highlight of the song. nuff said..

Gunz Come Out: 4/5
Kinda a "Heat" part II, reuniting 50, Dre, and the use of gun sound effects... 50's flow is on point, but we've heard these lyrics before.. if you don't know what i mean, just remember, 50 has guns and will kill you so don't fuck with him. Dre's beat has some nice tamborines, but it has that damn bouncy piano chord sequence that he's used in damn near every song he's produced at the end of every 4 bars.. eh... whatever.

My Toy Soldier: 4.5/5
It's kinda weird that 50 would make a song with such a title since Em's last single was "Like Toy Soldiers"... even more bizarre is that the track is produced by Em himself... whatever... 50 has nice energy on this track and kinda takes on a Tupac-like flow on the hook... Tony Yayo comes thru with an above average verse.. not quite as nice as he came on Banks' and Buck's albums but at least he wasnt high on crack as he probably was for his appearance on The Game's CD.. overall, a nice track.. Em's beat sounds like nothing he's ever produced which is very nice to know..

Position Of Power: 5/5
By far, the best song on the album.. The beat is solid, some nice rolling pianos and high strings.. 50's hook is tight, and his lyrics have meaning and he doesn't sound half-asleep.. This track shoulda been the 3rd track on the album in my opinion. This song shows the mixtape-type street shit that 50 is capable of.

Build You Up: 4/5
Is that Jamie Foxx?? Doesn't sound like him really... Scott Storch laces this one for the ladies.. 50 comes thru with the bitch shit. Good track for what it's worth.

God Gave Me Style: 3/5
This track just sounds out of place on the CD.. I don't know what the hell 50 thinks he's proving by talking about nothing but gun-clapping & drugs then throwing this semi-positive, hopeful song.. It seems kind of phony. The hook sounds like Lloyd Banks to me...

So Amazing: 4/5
Olivia and 50 doing the Ja & Ashanti thing... 50 is such a hypocrite for this song.. singing to the bitches after hating on Ja for it.. If you can get past the hypocracy of it all, the song is well done and could be the next single (I hope to hell it's not though).

I Don't Need Em: 3/5
This beat was just used on Ghostface's "Pretty Toney" album where it features Ghost plus Sheek and Styles of the Lox.. Kind of funny, considering 50 had beef with Ghost in the past and now has beef with the Lox thru Jada.. I was a huge fan of the "Pretty Toney" album so this song just isnt listenable for me. Had I never heard Ghost's album I think I woulda liked this one.. it's not that bad at all..

Hate It Or Love It (Remix): 5/5
Gotta love how 50 basically took this song from Game after realizes how much people liked it.. so he throws a remix of it at the end of his album as a "bonus" track... hehe oh, 50.. he keeps his verse the same while Game drops another one, coming nice... Banks steals the show with his verse, multi-syllable rhymes out the ass.. Yayo comes kind of weak considering he was adding to a finished song with a feeling already established.. can't stop that crack talk, eh Yayo.. and Buck comes nice with his southern flow and voice, sharply contrasting the NY-sounding flows of the rest of the clique... Overall, the song is classic G-Unit shit, showcasing the very first time all 5 have been on the same track.

There you have it..
Overall, I give the album a 4/5... the beats are all just too well produced to hate on the CD. 50 needs to step up has rap game if he wants people to actually believe he is as good as he thinks he is.. The worst part of the album is how 50 hasn't strayed at all from the subject matter of GRODT.. and it's been 2 full years since.. Most of these tracks could come directly after any GRODT tracks and no one would know the difference in 50 as an artist.. he hasn't shown any growth at all.. I really thought 50 was gonna flip the script with this album and not rap so fuckin slow like he did on GRODT.. after his verses on Em's "Never Enough" and Game's "Hate It Or Love It", I expected much more out of him.. His lyrics are just not very well written.. basic, obvious rhymes, completely relying on flow and catchy hooks to get by on most tracks.. lucky for 50 his flow is nice. Furthermore, he basically tried to recreate "In Da Club" on 3 separate tracks, never coming close.. ah well.. I think it'll go at least 4x platinum with ease then depending on the singles, maybe more...

Sad but true, The Documentary is much better than The Massacre.

Holla with ur opinions, ppl...

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.