My Random thoughts about Hip Hop PT. 5

- I’ve heard people refer to him as Whoopie Goldberg, but does anyone else think Lil Wayne bears more than a passing resemblance to a Tattoo adorned Pokémon?

- In a in a velour-exhaustive game room in the L.A. suburbs, Snoop Dogg is sitting at home, wondering why he never got a call to quest appear on the new T.I. Album.

- I have no intention of listening to Hip Hop Lives. Beyond the ability to craft belligerent personal diatribes in an attempt to arouse the genre cognoscenti KRS One no longer serves a purpose in the game. Its like he ate a bad mushroom in the mid nineties and never quite made it back to our world.

- Instead of writing this I should be queuing like a Nintendo and/or Star Trek enthusiast to obtain a copy of the new Lord Finesse.

- Red Gone Wild is disappointing. That’s not to say it’s wack album, it’s just not the stirring return to form I was hoping for.

- Prodigy does nothing on Return Of The Mac to convince me that he’s returned to form. It’s basically the same old misanthropic crack endorsing shit that pervaded Blood Money with some extra macho bombast lashings and worse beats.

- The Kool Keith collaboration with Karen O that has just leaked is some surreal old-school blaze shit. I hope they are talking about ice cream or I’m going to throw up my burrito.

- I’ve recently been reading Faking It: The Quest for Authenticity in Popular Music by Hugh Barker. There are some refreshingly informative chapters about promotion by major hip hop labels and corporate media, of individualistic, tough, misogynist males to the exclusion of the musically eclectic underground. Very interesting.

- Right now, Pusha T is So fly, he's got pterodactyl wings.

- Why has DJ Manipulator put out the Kill Ugly Remix when no one has heard the original?

- The New Devlin the Dude is stuck on repeat. I was worried by blog type whisperings it might be a more 'mature' album a la last years Ludacris effort, but no such fear. It's generally off the meat rack.

- The new Dälek opus is the stuff of a paranoiac's dream. Rooted as it is in golden-age Public Enemy hip-hop, the production style is brazenly unorthodox and the industrial aesthetic cungers images of looming apocalypse. In other words, they don’t miss the turntable guy.

- I’d recommend copping Ruff Draft. Although it’s not very long in length, the dreamy mish mash of electro soul, backward samples and low end brigadier shit make it a must for any J Dilla fan.

- Speaking of Stones Throw, it’s ghastly that Rasco’s The Unassisted has been left off the two compilations they’ve dropped this year.

- The stylistically eclectic line-up for Rock The Bells 2007 is bananas.

- In what many are calling a career artistic coup, the new Buckwild offering breathes fresh life into a number of classics from the nineties. It’s one of those rare albums that encompasses a large number of remixes sounding better than the originals that preceded them.

- I’m thinking of starting a petition in an effort to end the 4th grade dispute between Prince Paul and Dan The Automator for the sole purpose of hearing some new Handsome Boy Modelling School. Check out their myspace page where they demonstrate why they are the only dudes who can make a Jack Johnson joint listenable.

tHuG $TyLe

Staff member
Red Gone Wild is disappointing. That’s not to say it’s wack album, it’s just not the stirring return to form I was hoping for.

- Prodigy does nothing on Return Of The Mac to convince me that he’s returned to form. It’s basically the same old misanthropic crack endorsing shit that pervaded Blood Money with some extra macho bombast lashings and worse beats.
:thumb: I was pretty disappointed with Redmans album

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.