My Late Registration Review

It's a bit late (no pun intended), but I know there are some people still undecided about this CD. Here's a review I wrote, feedback on both the review and the CD would be appreciated :)

To say Kanye West has a lot to live up to is an understatement. After a stellar debut, West received critical acclaim, legions of fans, and 10 Grammy nominations. With his sophomore effort, West has not only lived up to the hype, but also surpassed it with an album that is overall better than his first.

Second albums are difficult for any artist to create. West had to somehow stay true to his own sound, but experiment enough so that Late Registration wasn’t seen as a simple rehash of his debut. To help him, West enlisted the services of Jon Brion – a multi talented musician who can play anything with strings. While at first hearing about this seemed strange, it was an excellent move by West, and many of the better songs on Late Registration are co-produced by Brion.

The album starts off with a skit, then grooves into the soulful “Heard ‘Em Say”, featuring Adam Levine of Maroon 5. The soft piano and soothing “oohs and ahhs” of the Maroon 5 man, along with Kanye West’s calm, slow flow make for great music. The song then bounces into “Touch The Sky” the only track on the album not produced by West (produced by Just Blaze). West obviously has great trust in Blaze’s abilities, and hearing this, it’s easy to see why. It’s up-tempo, it’s lifting and it’s catchy – I challenge anybody not to sing along with West’s “la la’s” after his first verse. Lupe Fiasco drops in a guest verse, and the song really comes together.

From here, the crooning of Jamie Foxx is heard as West cleverly uses a Ray Charles sample and gives Foxx the vocals. The result is “Gold Digger” the second single off the album. Catchy and fun, this carries much of the same bouncy vibe as parts of The College Dropout. West holds his own on the rap, and the sample, whilst at first annoying grows on you to the point of driving you insane as you sing along to Foxx’s vocals in the background. The album progresses into another skit which should be quickly skipped to reach one of the albums true gems – “Drive Slow” featuring Paul Wall and GLC. The track is mellow, and sums up the vibe for the next few cuts on the CD. The sample is well used, and is the same as the old 2Pac classic “Shorty Wanna Be a Thug”, though it is altered. Great guest appearances and beat, the track is a highlight.

The mellow mood continues with the short “On My Way Home”, featuring Common. Common, as usual, is great on the track and the sample is well picked as Kanye shows his knack for choosing suitable samples. This had the potential to be a classic, but at not even two minutes and lacking a Kanye verse, it falls short. Still, a great track for what it is. The song fades into “Crack Music” featuring The Game. It is rumored that The Game had a verse on the song, removed before release. I am not sure of the validity of these reports, but if true, I don’t think The Game’s gangsta raps would have fit in with the overall mood of the CD anyway. Regardless, this track is hot – a simple but powerful beat, as Kanye spits about how Blacks have risen from the introduction of slavery, government oppression and crack to sell their “Crack Music”, as the “former slaves trade their hooks for Grammy’s”. Definitely a hard track.

Kanye switches the mood again back to mellow with “Roses” as he explains the different emotions he and his family went through with their Grandma in hospital. The sample is once again a highlight, as the chorus is heartfelt, the beat is dramatic and the track really hits home. Once again it’s difficult not to sing along to the chorus’s cry of “I….smile…when roses come to see me…and I….”. The dramatic mood is maintained as Brandy makes an appearance on “Bring Me Down”. Kanye’s verse is recycled from an earlier mixtape song, but it doesn’t stop it from being a hot track. Kanye has some great lines, “There’ll always be haters, that’s the way it is, hater niggas marry hater bitches and have hater kids”, and “Your girl don’t like me how long has she been gay?”. Brandy does her usual thing, a heartfelt chorus and short verse. A very good track, even though it is a little overproduced, it still hits home.

Next is probably one of the best tracks on the CD, “Addiction”. The beat is deceptively simple, and is, well, addictive to listen to. It’s an incredible song, showing Kanye’s amazing creativity. Changing a song “My Sweet Valentine” into a depressing song about human addiction, as West asks, “Why is every that’s supposed to be bad, make me feel so good?”. Skipping (another) worthless skit, leads to one of the most creative songs I have heard in rap, “Diamonds from Sierra Leone [Remix]”. West takes a sample from a James Bond theme, and turns it into a song about his record company, bling, and slavery/child labour in Africa. He spits some quality lines, such as “Over here, it’s a drug trade, we die from drugs, over there they die from what we buy from drugs”. Jay Z, as usual, comes out with a strong verse when appearing on a Kanye produced track. One of the albums highlights.

One of the more anticipated tracks on the album would be the Nas/Kanye collaboration on “We Major”. The beat is a jazzy, almost 70’s beat – overwhelming at first, but after a few listens it takes a backseat to some great lyrics. While most of the time, admittedly, the beats take priority over lyrics on Kanye’s songs, here it’s the lyrics that really take the fore: “Feeling better then some head on a Sunday afternoon, better than a chick that say yes too soon, until you have a daughter, that’s what I call karma, and you pray to God she don’t grow breasts too soon”. Nas spits a heartfelt verse, while Really Doe also holds his own. Good track, could have been classic if the beat was as strong as the lyrics. Skipping (yes another worthless) skit, leads you to the feel good “Hey Mama”. Over a happy, catchy, beat, Kanye does the obligatory rapper song to his mama. As stereotypical as it is, still, the track is enjoyable, cheery and catchy. Another highlight of the album, and sure to be played on Mother’s day by people all over.

“Celebration” comes next, and is another good track, albeit not up to the quality of the earlier offerings in the album. Still, the beat, an almost 70s jazzy love groove forms an interesting juxtaposition with Kanye’s “It’s a celebration bitches!” and “After that I’ll grab your ass”. Skipping another worthless skit leads you to what I believe is the crowning achievement of the CD – “Gone”. The beat is dynamic and changing – pianos, violins, amazing string arrangements, it’s all here. Lyrically, the song is one of Kanye’s best – after a long intermission, where the beat climaxes, Kanye returns for his last (non-bonus) verse, where he spits, “I’ve romanced and though of leaving it all behind, Kanye step away from the lime-light-like when I was on the grind in the 1-9-9-9”. Cam’ron is also on fire in this track, and Consequence holds his own too. Probably the perfect end for the CD, but there are two “bonus tracks”, namely “Diamonds From Sierra Leone” and “Late”. Both are worthy additions, and both have some witty lines and good beats (though, disappointingly, the two “Diamonds From Sierra Leone” beats are identical).

Overall, just reading what I have written hear, I saw how many times I wrote “highlight” or “best track on here” or something to that effect, and I realized that nearly every track on West’s masterpiece is gold. So why not 5 stars? Well, the skits are pointless and just add nothing to the album. Also, there are a few mishits, namely “We Major” with its slightly overbearing beat, and “Celebration” – while both fairly good tracks, they are in a CD with other tracks with so much polish that these two just seem a little out of place. “Late Registration” is an album that surpasses “The College Dropout” – and is one that has cemented Kanye West’s position amongst hip hop’s elite.

4.5/5.

TCD

Am I the only one who doesn't feel "Addiction"? imo it's the weakest song on a album that has no bad songs. That and Celebration along with the skits and some of the songs only having 1 verse stop this album from being 5/5. I don't mind not having 3 verses but on great songs like "My Way Home" and "Bring me down" you are left craving for atleast 1 more hot verse from Kanye or whoever.

I love "We Major" if I smoked weed and I'd definitely do it to that track.
Late Registration= Classic (imo)

roaches

I didn't like "Addiction" either. The beat is boring and Kanye's flow is annoying. Some people have written it off as a Native Tongues tribute or whatever, but I don't see that at all.

I don't think most people got the point of "My Way Home." One, it's an interlude. Two, Gil Scott-Heron is a notorious crackhead.

FroDawgg

the only 3 songs i don't feel are addiction, celebration, and late. take those off and it's a flawless album, even though it's close now

FroDawgg said:
the only 3 songs i don't feel are addiction, celebration, and late. take those off and it's a flawless album, even though it's close now

I liked all them songs actaully hahaha

but my review from another board:
the songs on this lp are like Mr. Films said more moody/darker in tone but we also must remember that Jon Brion also helped so his influnece must have really impacted Kanye. HEard Em Say is a very beautiful song indeed that incorpated both Adam Levine and the instrumental very well. Just Blaze came tight on Touch the Sky as well with the Lupe cat come nice on his verse as well, I like when Kanye story tells bout his struggle to make into the game. Gold Digger has been disccused. The Skits are way better and more funny, and true, on this lp too. Drive Slow is a great track but like I said just sucks that Jonny J, who produced alot of 2pac's music and that song for All Eyez on Me, might not be given credit for using that sample first, but Kanye used it properly though.

My Way Home, like mentioned, wasnt allowed to take off like it could too short but Common kills it.Crack Music was done exceptionally well I love the key changes/breakdown with one of the singers ( either Charlie Wilson or Penfire) singing. Roses was a very soulful track, insightful story telling about his grandmaz, very visual. Even though bring me down was musically one of the best songs on the lp, I just dont like Brandy on the hook, should have put A.Keys but thats just me. Addiction is suprisingly very dark, airy it definately has a "bout to get it on" sound to it. I also like how Kanye switched his style, in terms of rapping, on that song he rides the beat great. Diamonds remix his verse to me is so-so, it just doesnt sound like it works on the remix but Jigga came good up untill he started self-hyping the Roc. Pretty clever, wheter intentional or not, to have Nas/Jay-Z have back to back tracks, but Nas came tight with his verse, speaking on his contrdictions and basically summing up his whole carrer in one verse.

Hey Mama was a good song I just wasnt feeling the beat to this though, but the lyrics are real, I dig that and his singing isnt that bad (he's at least in tone unlike 50).Celebration is very video game sounding, like early Sonic or something, I dont know why but I always loved songs like that, and he comes clever with the lyrics, and John Legend kills it. The fact that alot of instrumentation is live is very impreesive as well. Gone is a strong ending even made Killa Cam sound right, and excellent use of Otis Reddings sample. My favorite track though, so far, is Feel Like which gives me the feeling of just driving round in the late night or something. Most the songs really give you an idea of how the video could look like, which can be contributed to the sample and how he used them

I think with this lp he tried to show that he could advance in terms of production, casue even though his rapping has improved (such lyrical songs as Feel Like, Touch the Sky, Addiction) his musical skills have jumped by leaps and bounds, meaning this doesnt sound like sterotypical Kanye West produced songs . This was more showcasing his musical skills, while TCD was more his rapping. The one thing that sticks out is how not one song really sticks out. When I think TCD, like MR. Films said, theres som songs that dont go and some that do, all the songs on Late Reg. sound like they belong on this lp, even if they dont match lyrically the music matches. And wheter this is a bad or good, there isnt a Jesus Walks, Two Words, Spaceship song that stands out becasue songs like BReathe In Breathe Out, Workout Plan force them up front more. Theres no contrast.

This is a great CD I think, I give him props, they'll be haters and shit but fuck em, this dude CD, musically if anything, is better then the majority of mainstream coming out. Its like them wannabe underground/ture hip-hop heads want, a CD thats unique and diffrent then the norm which it is. Lets see they still attack like the hypocrites they are. This might worthy of the 4 stars out of 4 they given it(when compared to College Dropout and the hype this LP gave Late Reg.), at least 3 1/2 when compared to the other rap lp's coming

xxx

i agree with the reviewer on most parts except for "addiction" where i dont get a depressing vibe at all, but almost a party/get high type of song.

And the "we major" beat is my absolute fav. on the album, where the reviewer talks about the lyrics overpowering the average beat.

TCD

Is "Feel Like" the American bonus track? as I do not have that on my CD. The UK bonus track is "We Can Make It Better" which is fire as well.

Kanye was right when he said some great songs didn't make this album because it didn't fit. Every song on LR is like a piece of a jigsaw.

Roll on Graduation.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.