MTV Video Music Awards nominations

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
After nearly missing a hit from Hurricane Katrina last year, the 2006 MTV Video Music Awards is moving the ceremony from Miami to New York’s Radio City Music Hall this month to honor the year’s best and brightest in music videos.

To announce the Aug. 31 ceremony, MTV brought forth Beyonce, T.I. and Justin Timberlake – three of the six artists confirmed so far to perform during the 23rd annual telecast. They were paraded before the press Monday during a press event atop New York’s Rockefeller Center.

"The VMA's is the first place you'll see Justin Timberlake perform, an all new show stopping performance from Beyonce, the much anticipated return of The Killers, T.I., hip hop's newest mega star and the breakout band, Panic! At The Disco," said MTV President, Christina Norman. "This is the beginning of what will no doubt be the most star-studded event and the hottest ticket of the year."

Ludacris, who recently showed up at a concert in Seattle with a shorn head, (his trademark cornrows – or Ben Wallace afro when they’ve been taken out – was completely gone and replaced by a closely-cropped fro that faded ever-so-subtly on the sides), is also scheduled to perform his latest single "Money Maker" during the ceremony.

The rapper says his decision to get rid of the extra hair is rooted in an overall shift in direction marked by his upcoming album.

"Release Therapy marks a new phase in my life," the Atlanta rapper said in a statement. "I'm very excited to move forward and try new things. Life is all about change and this album will hopefully reflect some of my growth as an artist and a person. With that said, it only makes sense that I 'shake things up' and try something different. Who knows what I'll come up with next?"

While Shakira and The Red Hot Chili Peppers topped the list with seven nods each for "Hips Don't Lie" and "Dani California" respectively, other nominees included Jamie Foxx, T.I., Common, Kanye West, Chamillionaire, and Chris Brown.

Below are the best Rap video and best Hip-Hop video nominations. Although personally I don't see how you can have the two categories when they are describing the same thing.

BEST RAP VIDEO
50 Cent "Window Shopper"
Director: Benny Boom
T.I. "What You Know"
Director: Chris Robinson
Busta Rhymes featuring Mary J. Blige, Rah Digga, Missy Elliott, Lloyd
Banks, Papoose & DMX "Touch It (Remix)"
Director: Benny Boom and Busta Rhymes
Yung Joc featuring Nitty "It's Goin' Down"
Director: Lenny Bass
Chamillionaire featuring Krayzie Bone "Ridin'"
Director: Life Garland

BEST HIP HOP VIDEO
Black Eyed Peas "My Humps"
Director: Fatima Robinson and Malik Sayeed
Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx "Gold Digger"
Director: Hype Williams
Common "Testify"
Director: Anthony Mandler
Three 6 Mafia "Stay Fly"
Director: Bernard Gourley
Daddy Yankee "Rompe"
Director: Jessy Terrero and Carlos Perez

sad choices for videos... i hope busta wins, not because of busta (not a big fan of his) but because of papoose, banks and dmx. and i guess i want three six to win hip hop vid. between them and BEP, pretty easy decision.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.