Mos Def in court over child support

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Rapper/actor Mos Def is coming up short on child support payments, according to the New York Post, citing business problems and financial obligations to his other children.

The Brooklyn native, born Dante Smith, was ordered to pay $10,000 monthly after filing for divorce from his ex-wife, Maria Yepes-Smith, to support their 7- and 8-year-old daughters. Since the order went into effect on January 1st, Mos Def has reportedly come up short both times by about $2,000.

“It’s the best he can do under the circumstances,” said Steven Goldfeder, Mos Def’s attorney, during a recent hearing in Brooklyn Supreme Court. “He has several children. He’s always provided for them,” Goldfeder said, referring to Def’s three other children.

“I’m the only person who’s providing for my children,” Mos Def told Judge Sarah Krauss. Goldfeder requested that his client's payment should be reduced because Yepes-Smith reneged on a promise to home school the girls.

"Please tell your client not to talk anymore," said Krauss, who chided Mos Def and his lawyer for not filing an amended claim that specifies grounds for divorce.

Yepes-Smith’s lawyer, Karen Blaustein, expressed doubts about Mos Def's alleged business problems. "I've been seeing him in these commercials with Bruce Willis for his new movie," Blaustein said. "I'm sure he made enough money to pay his child support for his 7- and 8-year-old daughters.”

Mos Def is starring in a new action thriller, 16 Blocks, set for release in theaters next month, and is also working on his third album tentatively titled The Undeniable Free Flaco on Geffen Records.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.