Mos Def arrested outside VMA's

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Even though it was a fairly tame (MTV) Video Music Awards by its own standards inside Radio City Music Hall Thursday night, outside it was on and poppin'. Rapper and actor Mos Def was arrested for disorderly conduct after an unauthorized performance in front of the venerable venue.

Mos Def, according to authorities, stopped off at RCMH in a flatbed truck around 10 p.m. for an impromptu show for the audience gathered there. An NYPD spokesperson said officers asked him and members of his entourage to shut it down.

But before police took action, Mos Def performed "Katrina Clap," described as a freestyle indictment of the Bush administration's slow response to last year's hurricane victims in New Orleans.

A source told MTV that officers then approached the rapper demanding the operation be stopped immediately (on the grounds that a permit had not been issued). The order wasn't communicated to Mos Def immediately, so the rapper didn't end his performance right away, the source said. Police then began making arrests, including the rapper, his entourage and his brother. It was unclear whether or not a permit was granted. Meantime, Mos Def was released early this morning, Friday, September 1.

In a statement, Carleen Donovan, Mos Def's publicist, called the NYPD's treatment of the rapper excessive.

"Mos Def was unjustly arrested tonight while performing on a flatbed track in New York City outside the Video Music Awards," said Donovan. "Mos Def was not out to break any laws. His only goal was to heighten the awareness of a serious situation that still exists in our country. He does not want people to forget that although it's one year later, the people and cities hit by the hurricane still need the help of the American people."

He should've known better when he was performing without a permit. I love Mos, but it's common sense. They weren't arresting him for what he was saying. They were arresting him because he was performing outside a big event with no permission. Try doing that. Your ass would get arrested quicker than his did.

ArtsyGirl

Bit of a shame it wasnt passed on to Mos, but I'm pretty sure it wouldnt have stopped him no how. I think he woulda known what could happen when he decided to do it. I woulda loved to see the show up n til the point of arrest though :thumb:

jbrolax

pretty sure he knew this was gonna happen, it makes a bigger statement...

like when rage against the machine did a video infront of the stock exchange i think it was...

PuffnScruff

i finally saw the whole video. it was obviously a huge stunt that he and his people set up. mos def isnt a dumb person and either are the people that work with him (managers etc). they know you need a permit, especially in new york city. i mean what if something got out of hand and someone got hurt or even killed. those injured or the familys of the victims would be taking someone to court. if no permits were issued and the performance was basically and illegal one, those victims could take the city to court and win lots of money.

the police were doing their job and did the right thing.

i've lost a little bit of respect for mos def for doing such a stunt like this all for publicity. it's not like he needs it.

PuffnScruff

Kadafi Son said:
That wasn't 4 publicity PuffnScruff, it was for awareness...understand
lol, you would have to be living under a rock for the past year to not be aware of the event of katrina and the aftermath one year later. not too mention his views on the whole thing are a bit squed as well.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.