Mixtapes- Recommend 'em

I'm looking at buying some new mixtapes because I'm always looking for new music, but on the mainstream front, there just ain't anything new I'm interested in.

As far as underground goes, I don't sweat buying that shit because you have to know the right places anyway to go to by underground stuff.

So, someone give me the names of a few mixtape albums that are really good.

saltynuts said:
Well, that's a step in the right direction. The only problem is a lot of posters in that thread just say stuf like "the new papoose mixtape", and not actually stating the album names.

You got a website for me where I can browse a whole bunch of 'em?

also, salty, it'd be nice if you recommend some by name.

Also, just for the record, can someone tell me why One MC... keeps replying to messages of mine AFTER I told him Ive put him on ignore? All that comes up from his messages is his name and then a line where the text would be reminding me that I have him on ignore and gives me the option to take him off.

Hurts...don't bother dogg, I can't see what you're saying anyway, and I intend to keep you on ignore.

S. Fourteen

I haven't been paying much attention to the mixtape scene so I can't help you out as much as I want but one mixtape stands out, and that is DJ Whoo Kid & Saigon - Abandoned Nation.

PS. I don't know what the issue is with Hurts and Jason but you two need to get over it. Hurts is posting up info that is helpful to you so that's that.

Nobody wants to read all that shit so keep it out of your posts. (That was a general statement Jason)

I haven't been paying much attention to the mixtape scene so I can't help you out as much as I want but one mixtape stands out, and that is DJ Whoo Kid & Saigon - Abandoned Nation.
Aiight. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look for that one.

PS. I don't know what the issue is with Hurts and Jason but you two need to get over it. Hurts is posting up info that is helpful to you so that's that.
The issue goes back a while ago and there's nothing to get over. He's a kid who think he's just got the answers to everything. The epitome of the reason that I started ghosting the boards for a month or so. In one post he verbally rips me a part telling me what a piece of shit I am, the next, he's claiming he's trying to be nice. I think he's a schitzo or some shit. Either way, nothing he says toward me will considered "helpful", and he's on ignore, so anytime he makes a post directed at me, he's doing nothing but wasting his time.

Nobody wants to read all that shit so keep it out of your posts. (That was a general statement Jason)
I agree with you. I don't care about stuff going on between other members and don't want to read it either. The whole reason I put him on ignore is so that I don't have to see his bullshit anymore.

Guess I'll just have to start even ignoring the sight of his name. And so yes, from here on out, I'll keep it out of my posts. I apologize.

roaches

You can't go looking for mixtapes like you do albums. You're gonna have to do random listening to figure out what you like. You listen to a mixtape because a) you like the rappers on it, or b) you trust the DJ who put it together.

Popular mixtape rappers:
- Saigon
- Papoose
- The Diplomats
- etc.

Popular DJs:
- Whoo Kid
- Kay Slay
- Drama
- Clue
- Big Mike
- Green Lantern
- Envy
- Smallz
- etc.

My two favorite mixtapes this year are JR Writer's (of the Diplomats) Writer's Block, Volume 2 and Young Money's Lil Wayne Presents Young Money: The Mixtape, Volume 1 (which you can download for free at http://www.youngmoneyent.com/)

How did I know to pick these up? The Diplomats have consistently put out hot shit on mixtapes, and JR Writer's one of the sharpest cats in the group. When I heard he had new shit, I scooped it up. I heard Lil' Wayne (my favorite mixtape rapper - check the SQAD mixtapes, 10,000 Bars, both Droughts, and The Prefix) was doing a mixtape with DJ Drama, but it was taking too long so Lil' Wayne and his new group took the material they'd recorded and released it for free - so I knew to get the Young Money joint (Drama and Wayne did end up releasing a mixtape together, I haven't heard it).

Once you listen to a few mixtapes - I'm assuming you're going to pick the ones you start out with based on this thread - you'll figure out which DJs you can trust, and which rappers you think perform well on mixtapes (you really have to listen to mixtapes to figure this out - Cassidy, Fabolous, and Jadakiss aren't really giving you their best on what you seen on 106 & Park). When you hear about new mixtapes, you'll evaluate them based on who's on them and who's putting them together.

A good way to get your head up on the latest mixtapes is by going to where you can find bootlegs. If you live in the city, this could be a corner store, or a specific street where cats sell their shit, or the (black) barbershop. I generally consider buying mixtapes on the Internet a bad idea - they usually go for around $7 a pop, whereas a decent bootlegger will give you 3 mixtapes for $10. Or just download them - you don't have to worry about robbing your favorite makers of hip-hop of their money, because the mixtape game doesn't really work the same way direct album sales do.

2Pac- Rap Phenomenom 2

It has some really good mixes and some are better than the OGs like "If ya reallly Want it" (Let Em' Have it over G-Units I Smell Pussy beat)

If you are a non phixion fan you prolly already got this..but you can always order the green cd/mixtape...Or just download it whatever you want...

For non phixion fans it was pretty cool.

roaches said:
You can't go looking for mixtapes like you do albums. You're gonna have to do random listening to figure out what you like. You listen to a mixtape because a) you like the rappers on it, or b) you trust the DJ who put it together.

Popular mixtape rappers:
- Saigon
- Papoose
- The Diplomats
- etc.

Popular DJs:
- Whoo Kid
- Kay Slay
- Drama
- Clue
- Big Mike
- Green Lantern
- Envy
- Smallz
- etc.

My two favorite mixtapes this year are JR Writer's (of the Diplomats) Writer's Block, Volume 2 and Young Money's Lil Wayne Presents Young Money: The Mixtape, Volume 1 (which you can download for free at http://www.youngmoneyent.com/)

How did I know to pick these up? The Diplomats have consistently put out hot shit on mixtapes, and JR Writer's one of the sharpest cats in the group. When I heard he had new shit, I scooped it up. I heard Lil' Wayne (my favorite mixtape rapper - check the SQAD mixtapes, 10,000 Bars, both Droughts, and The Prefix) was doing a mixtape with DJ Drama, but it was taking too long so Lil' Wayne and his new group took the material they'd recorded and released it for free - so I knew to get the Young Money joint (Drama and Wayne did end up releasing a mixtape together, I haven't heard it).

Once you listen to a few mixtapes - I'm assuming you're going to pick the ones you start out with based on this thread - you'll figure out which DJs you can trust, and which rappers you think perform well on mixtapes (you really have to listen to mixtapes to figure this out - Cassidy, Fabolous, and Jadakiss aren't really giving you their best on what you seen on 106 & Park). When you hear about new mixtapes, you'll evaluate them based on who's on them and who's putting them together.

A good way to get your head up on the latest mixtapes is by going to where you can find bootlegs. If you live in the city, this could be a corner store, or a specific street where cats sell their shit, or the (black) barbershop. I generally consider buying mixtapes on the Internet a bad idea - they usually go for around $7 a pop, whereas a decent bootlegger will give you 3 mixtapes for $10. Or just download them - you don't have to worry about robbing your favorite makers of hip-hop of their money, because the mixtape game doesn't really work the same way direct album sales do.
Yeah, I know who the popular DJ's are. And, knowing that Jim Jones and Camron are part of the Diplomats, is the group as bad as they are solo? Because I have "On My Way To Church" by Jim Jones and "Purple Haze" by Cam and BOTH albums are HORRENDOUS.

Jim Jones really disappoints me because that dude has a great voice, but his lyrics and flow are some of the worst I've ever heard.

Anyway, thanks for the info Roaches, you've seriously been a big help.

And I know you can't search for mixtapes like you do albums, which is why I asked y'all to recommend some.

If you like Texas rap pick up:

Magnificent - The Newprint
DJ Whoo Kid & Chamillionaire - The Truth
DJ Whoo Kid & Chamillionaire - The Truth (Screwed & Chopped by OG Ron C)
Chamillionaire - Chamillitary Vol. 1
DJ Obscene & Chamillionaire - Houston We Have A Problem
DJ Ideal & Chamillionaire - Da Bottom Vol. 2
Lil Flip & Z-Ro - Kings of the South
DJ Michael Watts - Choppin Em Up Pt. 9
DJ Rapid Ric, Killa Kyleon & Bun B - Whut It Dew Pt. 2
DJ Ideal & Bun B - Da Bottom Vol. 4
Boss Hogg Outlawz - Headed to the Kappa 2K5
Boss Hogg Outlawz - In The Beginning 2K5
DJ Ideal & Slim Thug - Da Bottom Vol. 3
SUC - Straight Wreckin Mixtape Vol. 1

You can pick all of these up at www.sosouth.com or www.iap-tv.com

one mc on dj said:
If you are a non phixion fan you prolly already got this..but you can always order the green cd/mixtape...Or just download it whatever you want...

For non phixion fans it was pretty cool.
yeah i got that shit and i like it.

txbarrebaby said:
If you like Texas rap pick up:

Magnificent - The Newprint
DJ Whoo Kid & Chamillionaire - The Truth
DJ Whoo Kid & Chamillionaire - The Truth (Screwed & Chopped by OG Ron C)
Chamillionaire - Chamillitary Vol. 1
DJ Obscene & Chamillionaire - Houston We Have A Problem
DJ Ideal & Chamillionaire - Da Bottom Vol. 2
Lil Flip & Z-Ro - Kings of the South
DJ Michael Watts - Choppin Em Up Pt. 9
DJ Rapid Ric, Killa Kyleon & Bun B - Whut It Dew Pt. 2
DJ Ideal & Bun B - Da Bottom Vol. 4
Boss Hogg Outlawz - Headed to the Kappa 2K5
Boss Hogg Outlawz - In The Beginning 2K5
DJ Ideal & Slim Thug - Da Bottom Vol. 3
SUC - Straight Wreckin Mixtape Vol. 1

You can pick all of these up at www.sosouth.com or www.iap-tv.com
LOL, I don't know if I liked "Texas rap" but I'm willing to give anything a shot that I haven't already.

I want to thank everyone though for helping me out in this thread. I thought it would turn into a bunch of my haters coming in here and ridiculing me about how if I don't have mixtapes I don't belong listening to hip hop or some shit.

Glad to see for once that a thread I started maintained as a thread with substance and sharing rather than beef.

Thank you all who helped me out and suggested names of tapes and so forth. All of your suggestions whether I take them or not are appreciated.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.