Missy to score movie soundtrack

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Rapper Missy Elliott has joined forces with Mike Simpson of production duo the Dust Brothers to write the score for the Disney movie Stick It, starring Jeff Bridges.

The April 2006 theatrical release centers on the world of competitive gymnastics.

Elliott's Disney hookup emerged after the company asked to place Elliott's song, "We Run This," on the movie's soundtrack. "Run" is the third single from Elliott's Grammy-nominated album The Cookbook.

Elliott is definitely ready for the challenge. "I've always wondered what scoring a film would be like, and this fell into my lap at a great time," she says. "I've been doing the artist thing for so long that you get to the point where you want to venture into other projects."

Elliott says that working with Simpson (whose credits include Beck, the Beastie Boys and the Rolling Stones) eases some of the first-time pressure. The producers also helped her make the transition to film composer by placing temporary music in scenes to give her an idea of the tempo and tone they want.

"I've been in scarier situations," she says. "But this isn't like I'm left in limbo. I have an outline. I'm just anxious to see what comes of it. This is a big thing for me."

The rapper shot a video for "We Run This" earlier this month in Los Angeles. It features Olympic gold medalist Dominique Dawes in a cameo as Elliott's gymnastics coach.

Scenes from the "Run" video, due to premiere in February, range from a balance beam in the sky to uneven bars in a basement laundry room. Elliott assures the new video tackles the same innovative ground covered by her Grammy-nominated video for "Lose Control."

"It's crazy," Elliott says with a laugh. "When it comes to uptempo records, I always get creative."

Elliott is working on a tight schedule. The score is due at the end of January. "Studios work differently than artists and labels," Elliott adds. "They're on serious deadlines."

Also in the works is a new studio album -- not to mention writing songs for Monica and Fantasia.

However, Elliott definitely plans to squeeze in a visit to Los Angeles on February 8. "I wouldn't miss the Grammys for the world."

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.