Milk Dee - What More Can I Say

SicC

Dying Breed
Staff member
MC Milk Dee came into the game in 1988 as one half of the rap group Audio Two with his brother and partner in rhyme, DJ Giz, with their classic debut album, What More Can I Say. While most of today’s hip-hop fans probably know Milk Dee as the man behind the voice of the chorus on 50 Cent’s smash single, 'I Get Money', Milk has been sampled on several hit records by Biggie and R. Kelly, among others.

But there is more to the legendary MC. The brother of MC Lyte, the pioneering female rapper, Milk also released I Don’t Care, Never Dated, and the classic hit single "Top Billin’". In addition to his abilities on the mic, Milk stays busy by putting his production skills to good use.

A couple of years ago he discovered and groomed R&B sensation Eamon, as well as produced the hit single “Fuck It (I Don’t Want You Back).

With Milk setting up to regroup First Priority music and dabbling in music of all genres the future is looking bright for the hip-ho legend. Sixshot.com sat down with Milk Dee to discuss everything from "Top Billin’" to "I Get Money".

You came into the game in 1988, "The Golden Era". Was this time as good for hip-hop as everybody thinks it was?

This era was great for the Hip Hop culture. The foundation of hip hop becoming the financial monster it is today was laid then, not to mention the high level of innovation and creativity.

MC Lyte is your sister, was she a big musical influence on you?

We had a big influence on each other. One of the things I admired most about her was her spunky-ness, it inspired me.

Top Billi n' was a big hit, were you happy with the response?

As an artist you always expect big things. I am very fortunate and couldn’t be happier with the response then and now. It’s a beautiful thing to have so much impact.

What More Can I Say is a classic album. When you were putting it together, what did you want the fans to get from it?

I just did what I felt, and I’m glad the fans could relate.

Was it hard to survive in the business as gangster rap was taking over?

I think you have to be smart, be strong and stay focused in order to survive in this fickle music business.

How was it working with Ad Rock on the classic but overlooked "Spam"?

It was great, Ad Rock is a very talented artist and a real cool bugged out dude. I had a lot of fun working with him and hope to work with him again.

You were signed to Rick Rubin's Def American. What was that experience like?

It was a wonderful experience, I learned a lot and got a chance to meet and work with many interesting people. Rick Rubin is one of my idols and “I feel” the way he gets down, he’s a brave innovator.

Do you and Giz still work together?

Giz and I don’t work together anymore.

How is it to have your voice sampled on a huge hit?

It’s amazing, I feel grateful and honored every time someone samples me. Especially premiere artist like Fifty, Biggie, Dre, R. Kelly and Mary J Blige.

Did you accomplish everything you wanted to accomplish in the rap game?

I’ve accomplished a lot and I still have a lot of goals for the future.

You're producing for Eamon. How do you feel about him as an artist?

Eamon is an extreme talent, more than people know, and a cool, funny guy. Look for the new album, Love and Pain.

Do you prefer producing to rapping?

I love doing both they have different types of gratification.

Have you ever considered dropping a new Audio Two album?

We are re-launching First Priority Music as an independent label and I’m in the lab working on new Milk Dee Music.

What projects can we expect to see from you?

We have a roster that includes hip hop, pop and rock . Look for our new artist John Lardieri, June Luva, TMarvin and Russ.

What should some of the younger fans know about your career?

I think the younger fans should explore the history of hip hop in general, so they can have a greater appreciation of the culture.

What mark do you feel you left on hip-hop?

I feel like I’ve made a mark in music. My songs have influenced generations of artist from all genres.

Anything you'd like to say to the fans at Sixshot.Com?

First I would like to thank Sixshot.com for doing the interview. I would like to thank the fans for all of the support over the years. Look for new Milk Dee and First Priority Music. You can contact me at milkdee@firstprioritymusic.com, or myspace.com/mcmilkdee. Keep Chillin’.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.