Meet KRS-One in Southern California!

I'm in my fifth year at UC Irvine, and I read on our weekly e-mails entailing each week's events that KRS-One is going to make an appearance to discuss the history of hip-hop. It looks like it's free for everyone. If anyone wants to go, it is in HIB100 (Humanities Lecture Hall) on the UCI campus. Check out www.myspace.com/hiphopcongressuci for more info.

It's a long shot, but any chance you guys could tape it - either video or audio?

That would be something I'd love to attend, there's just a bit of a distance barrier.

I'd imagine some others would also appreciate hearing what he has to say.

While you consider it I will just sit here and remain eternally jealous.

^ If I go (and I should, seeing that I go to UCI), I'll try to record it. I got another digital camera with a gigabyte memory card, so I'll try to at least capture some cool stuff. I'll probably bring a couple things to try to get them signed (like the VIBE history of hip hop book or the Beef DVD or someting). In the spirit of KRS, I figured I'd watch his portion of the Beef DVD, and I saw something interesting that I forgot about... he said on the DVD that as an exercise, every year he writes a battle rap to each of the top ten rappers that year, a rap that would "end their career" as he put it... so if I get a chance to talk to him I'll ask if he still does it and maybe if he could flow a few lines that he wrote or whatever. I'd love to hear what he has to say about 50 or any one of those top 10 guys.

hey deeez, if i go there we should meet up. wernt you the one who wanted DPG dillinger & young gotti album? ill give ya a burned copy :thumb:

DUB CEE said:
hey deeez, if i go there we should meet up. wernt you the one who wanted DPG dillinger & young gotti album? ill give ya a burned copy :thumb:
Yeah, that was me. Is it a burn of the CD, or is it 192kbps mp3s burned onto a CD? I'm trying to rip my entire collection in 320kbps on my hard drive... or at least Death Row and affilated music

DeeezNuuuts83 said:
Yeah, that was me. Is it a burn of the CD, or is it 192kbps mp3s burned onto a CD? I'm trying to rip my entire collection in 320kbps on my hard drive... or at least Death Row and affilated music
naw i downloaded that album off the internet. ill be buying the album sometime

UPDATE!

The KRS-One lecture was earlier tonight, and I was left amazed at how truly intelligent KRS is... not that I ever doubted it, but I got a taste of it.

I got there at around 6:15PM just to be sure, and I was the first person in line and pretty much the first person to get in, other than the man himself and the people affiliated with the organization who put the event together. (By the way, while I was waiting, I saw KRS-One get there and go inside, I was probably one of the first people to see and greet him.)

The lecture was awesome and went well beyond the subject of Hip Hop; it was also about philosophy and life... very insightful. And what was even more interesting was that it wasn't all about him. He only talked referred to a few of his own experiences (not even really about himself) a few times, but in the context of the point he was trying to make. The only time he really talked about himself was when he was talking about how people need to respect their elders, then he used Hip Hop as an example of that, saying how when it comes to rhyming skills, he is #1, even at 40. And I respect that. Overall, I managed to fit around 25 minutes of random footage here and there (mostly in three-minute clips) onto my 512MB card in my smaller Canon digital camera. My other camera (a higher-quality Canon digital camera that I reserve mostly for picture-taking) has about 100MB of high-quality pictures. After the entire lecture was over, he was kind enough to take pictures and sign autographs; I took a couple pictures with him then left at around 11:30PM.

I'll try posting some pictures later, but if anyone has some webspace that they're willing to let me use, the footage can be uploaded.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.