Master P: Clean act

Maverick

Master P has cleaned up his rap and now he wants the rest of the hip-hop world to do the same.

The reformed gangsta rapper who is pioneering clean lyrics will testify today at a congressional hearing on stereotypes and degradation in rap and hip-hop.

"I used to be part of the problem, but I've matured," Master P, whose real name is Percy Miller, said during a recent trip to Harlem.

So far, Miller is the only rap artist who has agreed to testify at the hearing, "From Imus to Industry: The Business of Stereotypes and Degradation."

"I am not trying to take away anyone's freedom of speech," said Miller, 40. "I'm concerned about the constant use of profanity."

He said he started singing a new song when he constantly had to turn down the radio to avoid raunchy lyrics when he and his wife, Sonya, were with their seven children.

He went on to create his own record label to promote performers with clean lyrics.

Miller and his actor-rapper son lil' Romeo formed the Miller Boyz under the label and recently released the album "Hip-Hop History."

They've got an exclusive deal to sell the profanity-free CD in Wal-Mart.

The rapper insisted he's not trying to put down other rappers who use explicit lyrics. He blames music moguls who encourage hip-hop artists to push the envelope.

"We need to clean up our lyrics, but not turn our backs on the entire hip-hop community, because they're not the problem," said Miller. "The artists are the puppets who are controlled by the puppeteers. It's time for accountability."

SOURCE: FREEP.COM

Prize Gotti

Boots N Cats
Staff member
Master P has cleaned up his rap and now he wants the rest of the hip-hop world to do the same.

The reformed gangsta rapper who is pioneering clean lyrics will testify today at a congressional hearing on stereotypes and degradation in rap and hip-hop.

"I used to be part of the problem, but I've matured," Master P, whose real name is Percy Miller, said during a recent trip to Harlem.

So far, Miller is the only rap artist who has agreed to testify at the hearing, "From Imus to Industry: The Business of Stereotypes and Degradation."

"I am not trying to take away anyone's freedom of speech," said Miller, 40. "I'm concerned about the constant use of profanity."

He said he started singing a new song when he constantly had to turn down the radio to avoid raunchy lyrics when he and his wife, Sonya, were with their seven children.

He went on to create his own record label to promote performers with clean lyrics.

Miller and his actor-rapper son lil' Romeo formed the Miller Boyz under the label and recently released the album "Hip-Hop History."

They've got an exclusive deal to sell the profanity-free CD in Wal-Mart.

The rapper insisted he's not trying to put down other rappers who use explicit lyrics. He blames music moguls who encourage hip-hop artists to push the envelope.

"We need to clean up our lyrics, but not turn our backs on the entire hip-hop community, because they're not the problem," said Miller. "The artists are the puppets who are controlled by the puppeteers. It's time for accountability."
Ceasar, this is like a year old.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.