Mary J Blige

I was thinking today, Mary J Blige has been out since 1992. That means that her first joint, What's The 411, came out when I was 7 years old. Now, I'm 21 years old, and she's still getting killin the charts and getting nominated for 8 Grammys...I've always respected Mary J, I think the reason that she's been around for so long is because all of her shit just has a realness to it - she's not even the greatest vocalist, but her emotional delivery really takes her a long way.

Also, as a tangent, I think this also speaks to R&B music, and how much they actually respect the people who have made a long-term difference and who stick around. Hip-hop doesn't really reward people like that (just a thought)...

_carmi

me, myself & us
it's true that Mary J Blige has been there for a long time now and is still killing it. i guess it's because she's been true to herself all along. she is one emotional singer though.

ArtsyGirl

Yeah you can tell the real from the fake, and the real are usually the last ones standing. I got a live DVD of hers ( I want the live in LA one but its still $48! Must be good ) and she sings "Children of the Ghetto" and by the end she's in tears, and you can tell its for real.. You gotta respect that kind of honesty. I see similar things in Alicia Keys I think her career will have the same kind of longevity.

There no doubt that Mary is FIRE. If by no other unit of measurement, the fact that she has 8 Grammy nominations. Not only does she have 8 nominations, but she is LEADING the Grammys with the most nominations. Besides, who doesn't like Mary J. Blige?! She's not a artist that you hear people talking bad about. But in the way of her nominations, of the 8, I think that she will at least take 4 home. What if she took all 8! Wouldn't that be fly?!

ARon

Last time the Grammy' snubbed her she sang "No More Drama" in one of the best performaces I've ever seen. Lets hope something like that happens again, even though thats not why she sang with such emotion that night but whatever.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.