Mariah Carey overtakes 50 Cent

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Capping one of pop music's biggest comebacks, Mariah Carey has overtaken rap star 50 Cent in a year-end battle to claim the hottest-selling album of 2005.

Carey's Grammy-nominated The Emancipation of Mimi climbed to the No. 1 spot for the year on U.S. sales of 290,000 copies during the week ending December 25, raising her 37-week total to 4.87 million units, retail tracker Nielsen SoundScan reported on Wednesday.

Assuming Mimi stays the course through the post-Christmas sales rush, Carey would become the first female solo artist to boast the year's top album since Alanis Morissette in 1996 with Jagged Little Pill.

50 Cent slipped to No. 2 for 2005 as his sophomore set The Massacre posted sales of 30,000 copies last week, taking his 43-week tally to 4.83 million units, Nielsen SoundScan said.

The rapper stands little chance of regaining the lead from Carey so long as the final week of the year -- traditionally the busiest in music sales -- brings another six-figure tally for Mimi, as expected.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
he only sold 4..sumthin mills of his album? i always thought he woulda done more. that seems like a low number.

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
Pittsey said:
US sales only. Seems reasonable to me.

yea but he released it twice. and the second one had videos for every1 of the tracks..woulda thought it woulda sold more then mariah'z once released cd.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
I don't know many people who bought the second 1. I think I was the only 1. And there was very little promotion for it.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.