Many features albums VS. Pure solos

Lok

Am I the only one that loves "pure" solos as oppose to projects with many features?
Most of todays Hip-Hop fan base seems to not only love albums with many features, but knock the albums with a few features.
I find that albums with a bunch of guest apperances get plaid out faster than the ones with almost no apperances.
Sure you got the classics which never get old, no matter how many folks are on the album; but I just find my self digging albums in which the cat (or a duo) rip the track by themselves without any help.

P.S: My definition of a "Pure" Solo Album: No more than one guest apperance & maybe one joint with a chick singing on the hook. No more than that.

Bigg Limn

Staff member
Yeah Im with you, and that's how I do it in my music 2 - albums I try 2 keep strictly solo. But like...I love Lynch - but a lot of his songs get destroyed by worse MCs. Only people like C-Bo, Tech, Droop, Raided, Cowboy, Sicx, etc can shine on a track with him. Everybody else just fucks up the track, and fucks up my listening experience cuz I have 2 fastforward thru their shit 2 get 2 the goods.

Mase

Limn said:
Yeah Im with you, and that's how I do it in my music 2 - albums I try 2 keep strictly solo. But like...I love Lynch - but a lot of his songs get destroyed by worse MCs. Only people like C-Bo, Tech, Droop, Raided, Cowboy, Sicx, etc can shine on a track with him. Everybody else just fucks up the track, and fucks up my listening experience cuz I have 2 fastforward thru their shit 2 get 2 the goods.
What songs are you reffering to?

I think it depends on the actual artist. Albums from my favourite artists I generally prefer solo songs, but some features are great.

7 Syns

depends really, if for example i see a record which has guest appearances that regularly come through eg. Meth, Bun or Luda plus others then it doesn't bother me if ofcourse the record itself is good. however if the guest appearances like limn said 'fucks up my listening' experience then it becomes a problem.

overall solo records have always been the standouts eg illmatic, doggystyle except for certain specials ones eg. only bult 4 cuban linx.., the chronic.

peace.

I definitely love pure solo albums over guest-infested albums. Illmatic has 8 solo tracks and one of the greatest guest verses of all time and stands as an all time Hip Hop classic. Pac always sounded better solo than when he had the Outlawz rhyming on a track with him because they could never match his intensity/passion on the track and always wound up getting outshined.

Albums that have alot of guest appearances don't allow you to really get a feel for who the artist is because they're trying to hard to cater to a specific group of people through each track. Only albums that are based off of having a billion guest appearances are listenable throughout. Both Chronic albums are an example of this.

Some of 2005's best releases have mostly been solo efforts (i.e. The Documentary, Be 'other than the Kanye hooks it's mostly Common on each track doing his own thing', 1988, and many more) and show that there is still room for artists to make great music by themselves and don't have to be with the top five emcees selling records in order to get any airplay (I guess naming Game and Common's albums weren't the best idea).

All in all, I do enjoy solo albums more than guest-filled albums.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.