"Manhattan Keeps on making it Brooklyn keeps on taking it"

As I sit reading and chilling at home alone today I have BDP's Classic anthem "The Bridge Is Over" on my speakers just pounding.

Without a dout a Classic, yet KRS got me thinking today
How has Hip-Hop changed since then?
what beef's will be loved as much as this one?
What are the boroughs nowadays?

and point blank is it not just incredible and overwhelming how Hip-Hop is such a powerful and proud people that boroughs will go at each other for supremecy like this.

So in conclusion lets appriciate how great that track is and debate its affect nowadays plus compare and contrast 2 hip-hop today.

Who's making it now?
Whos Taking it?
Who's Creating it?
Who's Faking It?
How Dramatically has hip-hop changed since the golden era?

roaches

Who's making it now?
G-Unit, the third coast.
Whos Taking it?
The entire country, world, whatever.
Who's Creating it?
The south.
Who's Faking It?
New York.

How Dramatically has hip-hop changed since the golden era?
* New York no longer sets the critical standard.
*Labels know more about hip-hop and how to distinguish successful hip-hop (I know they're supposedly happy and cakey on their own label... but do you think the same major labels that signed Souls of Mischief, Del, etc. a decade ago would sign them today? Fuck no),
* and at the same time cats are smarter about making moves independently.

Musically, we're headed towards rap music not just being Hip-Hop With a Capital H-H but part of the web of black music in general.

I think a lot of heads have given up fight to keep R&B and hip-hop separate (*listens to Mary J Blige w/ Smif N Wessun and/or Black Star, Aaliyah's "Are You That Somebody" remix with Danja Mowf and Mad Skillz, and prays for Rich Harrison to do some hip-hop tracks. Sob*), and the mainstream/critical success of people like Nelly, Outkast, and 50 Cent (he really did set the movement back - we embraced him as being the anti-Ja Rule... and look what he turned out to be).

There was a very minor argument over live instrumentation, and it was settled. The consensus on most people is = we don't give a shit, just give me something that bangs. The heads have accepted that it's been around since the beginning and sampling is better, but as long as it's sample-based (and trust me... ALL of it is) and it results in some dope shit, who cares? But we're still gonna get annoyed when people start nutting themselves over the Roots.

Authenticity and virtuosity still plays a major role in hip-hop, even though it's basically a fraud. We like rappers who have authentic backgrounds, who came up paying their dues, and who can really rip the mic and say some unfiltered, don't-give-a-fuck shit (Let's use the most popular rapper right now as an example - 50 Cent while he was on his mixtape grind. Or, if you want an example that we actually like right now, Saigon or the Diplomats). At the same time, what's going on in the industry? We assemble the best producers/songwriters, research what fans want to hear and is effective, and assemble some great music that also adheres to a formula while presenting it all with a good face (possibly - The Game? Or, an example that we all like, Illmatic.).

The reality is somewhat inbetween, and always has been. NWA and Dr. Dre are responsible for some of the best don't-give-a-fuck-fuck-you-motherfucker real-shit ever, but behind the scenes you have the D.O.C. writing the rhymes and Daz/Yella/Warren G or whoever who deserve a little/some/damn near all of Dre's credit. And on the other hand, we have Jay-Z and 50 Cent making good/great music that is formulaic as hell, but they have authentic hip-hop backgrounds and really are great Masters of Ceremonies.

Hip-hop isn't going to become homogenous and lean one way or another, obviously. The end will always justify the whole R&Besque means, but authenticity and virtuosity help make it more interesting.

So where does hip-hop go? If it's going to stay on the same path, it should grow to help justify the compromises that have been made:
a) The market should be able to support larger independent scenes
b) Songwriting in hip-hop should improve (I don't mean it the way 50 Cent means it)
c) Lyrical content should become more refined, mature, whatever you want to call it

I just realized that I've taken this thread off-topic.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.