Lupe Fiasco album leaks over the weekend

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
After learning about the internet leaking of his unmastered album, Food & Liquor, Chicago rapper Lupe Fiasco released an online statement addressing the unfortunate situation.

"Hey shit happens. An unmixed version of Food & Liquor got leaked yesterday," Lupe said. "It’s stuff like this that makes you wanna just be like, fuck it."

Lupe has been working on his would-be debut for about five years, and after seeing the release date get pushed back several times, and now having it leaked on to the internet months before its summer release, the 23-year-old rapper expressed his frustration.

"Lotta time and money and bullshit went into creating that album. Over the years I’ve had my people die, get locked up, my company get shut down, weak ass niggas in my own crew turn against me and just when things are starting to look good… [and] later learn that everything I worked for just got leaked all over the internet kinda had me fucked up."

The Atlantic recording artist also said the album may be permanently shelved, and chocked it up as an impromptu episode in his Fahrenheit 1/15th mixtape series -- minus appearances from Jay-Z, Pharrell, Jill Scott, 3-6 Mafia and others who were expected to make the final version.

"Everything happens for a reason, and God wills what He wills when He wills, so I gotta take this one and keep it moving. I’m going to take some time out and refocus on some other things for a minute, maybe my sneaker and toy stuff. Eventually, God willing, get back in the studio and get back to work."

"I hope it doesn’t hit the streets as a bootleg, but I got this real deep feeling that it will, so I’m writing off Food & Liquor as you know it or may have heard it, and starting over. Thanks for the support and the love. Stay tuned. FNF Up!"

TCD

I read this on another site a couple of days ago and was gunna start a thread.

Bad news, if I where him I'd go straight back into the studio keep 5 songs off the original, add the new cuts,make it 12 songs long and make the other four songs.

Didn't The College Dropout leak twice before it came out?

I was really anticipating the album as well... :angry:

Dante

Meyer & Dante Best Friends4eva
when an album leaks, artists have nothing to do bust to ask who had the whole thing, and then trace the leak from there. several artists i know will not let the same person have all completed tracks until the final mastering phase. it's just smart business.

likewise, this is also a lesson to get your product done and out fast. spend time on pre-production so a studio session isn't a first take...

i think he's being a little dramatic here too. albums leak all the time. those who were going to buy the album will when it comes out fully mastered, and those who'd be content accessing an unmastered and unfinished album are limited to the net. artists think once something hits the net it stops sales, but that's not necessairly true.

SonOf2pac

DPG iz all I C said:
Shit happens as he says, im downloading it right now.
LOL

but on the real... i already got it but i was definately gonna buy it... kick push is a sweet track and he can really tell a story... damn... fuckin bootleggers

ArtsyGirl

Sounds a bit stupid to not get back into the studio or continue with the album anyway, he has alot of momentum behind him at the moment if he goes back to making toys he might not get another chance like this. Like Dante said this happens all the time, nothing new.

Dante said:
when an album leaks, artists have nothing to do bust to ask who had the whole thing, and then trace the leak from there. several artists i know will not let the same person have all completed tracks until the final mastering phase. it's just smart business.

likewise, this is also a lesson to get your product done and out fast. spend time on pre-production so a studio session isn't a first take...

i think he's being a little dramatic here too. albums leak all the time. those who were going to buy the album will when it comes out fully mastered, and those who'd be content accessing an unmastered and unfinished album are limited to the net. artists think once something hits the net it stops sales, but that's not necessairly true.
Well said :thumb:

should put it out just pull a Nas and record some new tracks for it....Kick Push and Touch the Sky got his hype at a high he can't afford to wait longer....because if he goes back and re-records a whole new LP we could be lookin, at the earliest, next year sometime. But shit, this sucks I mean if bootleggers hadn't gotten I Am (orginally a 2cd set) we might have never got the shit that is known as Nastradamus.....let alone the great tracks on Lost Tapes would have been shared even sooner (thus making it 3 classics Nas has had)

Damn.... it sucks for him because he put in 5 years of work. As for everyone that says just go back in the studio and record more tracks, it kinda sucks when you gotta pay for studio time AND buy more tracks from other producers. I say to anyone that downloads it: buy the retail album as well. Help out the dude.

TCD

Pittsey said:
Common album leaked unmastered 2 months before release. Didn't sell that well, I bought it.
Be scanned over 800,000.

Chria Brown retail album dropped like a month before it was released and that has sold platinum.

I still think if he makes it shorter,add the features and throws Kanye on 2 hot tracks that his album would sell.

SonOf2pac

this reminds me of slim thug's already platinum album... shit leaked real early... he went back in made a couple new tracks and it came out as one of the best h-town releases... his album leaked with some pretty big guest stars on it too... unlike Lupe's...

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.