Ludacris and Kanye cleared

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
A New York court cleared rapper Chris "Ludacris" Bridges and producer Kanye West last week of copyright infringement in a case brought by a New Jersey rap group over Ludacris’ song, "Stand Up."

The group I.O.F., which stands for It’s Only Family, were claiming that the pair breached copyright laws by stealing lyrics and style from their song "Straight Like That." Lawyers for I.O.F. argued that their clients distributed copies of the song to music executives in 2002 and 2003, months before they say elements of their song were heard in Ludacris' "Stand Up," co-produced by West.

Mel Sachs, a lawyer representing I.O.F., said the group would appeal the judge’s decision on grounds that a music expert they had planned to call as a witness was excluded by the judge as part of sanctions against another lawyer who represented them before.

"The verdict was disappointing but understandable in the wake of this order to preclude the plaintiffs' expert in the case," Sachs said.

Meanwhile, I.O.F.’s manager, Jeff Billingsley, remarked: "Probably Ludacris feels good that he got over this, but he has not gotten away."

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.