Lloyd Banks "The Big Withdraw", review

7 Syns

The Big Withdraw, the sophomore Lloyd Banks album which by the looks of it will be forced into obscurity. Due to an extremely early leak, which the record was unmastered and even more embarrasing left in the back of some broads car.

But to the fans, not to worry. Another album is on it's way, now titled "Gang Green" and rumored to only feature 10% of the leaked "The Big Withdraw" it should satisfy fans and hip-hop nomads at that. This is an early review of "The Big Withdraw" and why you should or shouldn't download it, atleast to just check it out.

The album kicks off with a soulful intro (The Wait is Over..) where Banks kicks a few bars hyping himself and what follows after, not bad. The beat is slightly uptemp, almost Just Blaze-y sounding. We imidiately sail into (Whip Pussy) a laid back track which perhaps isn't the best song to start an album off with, usually artists tend to leave the more mellow songs toward the middle-end of their albums. Banks flows smoothly, rhymes are what is expected from the title with sex-capades and slick pimp talk. Overall not a bad song, as it does it's part and doesn't run too long.

(This Is My Hood) a Tony Yayo featured cut proceeds, with Banks and Yayo trading a verse each over a dark menacing instrumental. The song could almost be classified as a follow up to "The Hunger For More's" (Ain't No Click). A few punchlines and alot of hustler talk hit you from a solid delivery from Banks, but the surprising factor is that Tony Yayo out-does his whole debut (Thoughts Of A Predict Felon) with his verse. A solid cut which leads us into (A Lil' Bit Colder), a punchline rhymefest song reminicent of his previously done (Playboy), where again it's his flow that shines on.

(It's Simple) plays next, a 50 Cent-hook featured song, with "single" possibility written all over it. The 2nd verse is the stand-out, as Banks send subliminals at former G-Unit member The Game with "....here is a little story I would like to tell/ about a certain individual perpatrating like hell, well/ you seen him around imitating legends/ tough as hell on his records but terrified of my presence/... his career only lasted a couple of seconds, begging for attention/dropping names every sentence...".

(Everywhere We Go) is a soulful song, uptempo and very similar to 50 Cent's (Build You Up, So Amazing..) directed more at the ladies and it can be seen as this records version of his previously done (Karma). Not a bad song as it's short and doesn't cross the line as being corny.

But the next song is one of the albums best cuts the D-Block/Fat Joe shot directed (It Ain't A Secret), a smooth flow over a chanting instrumental with Banks rhyming "...my bread's long and quiet big, so Im comfortable to go into the courtroom in PJ's like Mike did.." and then "..I'm gonna still be here when D-Block flops, I got more cash then them in my Reebok box...". "..I thought about clappin Joe, but why hit him with the iron?/when he's one big mac(k) away from dying".

(6 Figga Nigga) is as an anthem-escé track with an uptempo beat and a enthusiastic flow by Banks, which is followed by (Gettin' Money). Both are decent songs, they add nothing but don't hold the album back either.

The Scott Storch sounding (Turn You Into A Customer) sounds almost like it was recorded to be a single, a good song with a typical Banks delivery. As we head into (Victim of Society) another stand-out track, Banks changes topics touching on ghetto struggles and every day occurances in the neighbourhood "young mothers, fatherless babies, murdered friends.." it's a show of maturity and growth as an artist.

(Ground Y'all Niggaz) really adds nothing to the album, braggacio gun talk and iced out lines become boring but the fact thats it's a short track it still manages to stay playable. (Nobody Believes Me) Banks talks from the perspective of a groupie who is in love with him, been there done that. The beat is beautifully composed and even though the chorus sounds mad suspect I do believe that due to it being unmastered it wouldve eventually been re-done by an R&B diva.

(You's A Hoe) is a worthless under-a-minute skit/song. (If You Ain't Holdin') is the first real song that sounds like a generic G-Unit track with punchlines, bragging and fuck-a-hoe talk are the subjects. Heard it all before. (My City "New York") is another standout song with the chorus flowing ".. Now this is my home, this is where we live/ it's not the best place to raise up your kids/ but i'm glad my ma' did/ get to see everything how it is.." and with lines like ".. and it's crazy that there's 14 year old having babies and some of them is younger/ where the fuck is the mother, where the fuck is the rubber, who the fuck is the lover/ if his a grown ass man he needs his ass whipped/ because there's no explanation for that shit.." .

(It's OK) sounds played out before you finish listening to the entire track, decent but there's already a few songs on the album which cover it's basis. (Anotha Dolla) is beautiful song with a lush instrumental with rhymes about climbing from the bottom to the top, Banks spits everyday lines like ".. old ladies open their mouth in disbelieve as young nigga lift their middle fingers to diss police..".

(Without My Glock) another standout cut, Banks sounds hungry as he rips the song line for line. An in your face delivery, .. gimme a year and i'll be rocking the garden/ you'll still be in the bricks same bitch same sloppy apartment/ bubble gum on top of your carpet/ food stains on your clothes/ you can't catch dude changing his flows, more than his hoes..".

(Get Low) which was also featured on 50's soundtrack to (Get Rich Or Die Tryin') movie comes next, (Why We Waitin') is another ballad for the ladies and (When I Was Down) where Banks concludes his feelings about coming up in the game and going from broke to rich. Not forgetting his beginnings and the places he came from. Finally the record ends with (Get The Fuck Up Now) a southern sounding beat where Banks again rhymes punches, glossy talk.

All in all it's an above average sounding record, the best factors about the album is that Banks doesn't push to sell himself out to the mainstream like his boss. Keeps the albums sounds true to New York's rythems and brings a solid game with his lyrics. Great flows and deliveries, also with only 3 songs exceeding 4 minutes it's hard to get bored with Banks this time around.

He sounds enthusiastic. "The Big Withdraw" is a step above "The Hunger For More". Now we'll just have to wait for the real album "Gang Green". 7.5/8 out of 10.

peace.

7 Syns said:
But to the fans, not to worry. Another album is on it's way, now titled "Gang Green" and rumored to only feature 10% of the leaked "The Big Withdraw" it should satisfy fans and hip-hop nomads at that.
Looks like dude is going to be living in a recording studio for the Summer. Oh well, at least now we'll be spared his wack mixtape joints. *Crosses fingers*

Sarr

Wishes he was on probation
yea downloaded this about 3 months ago...

LOVED IT....beats were very grimey and gritty...

cant wait for the new banks PROPER album...the man is a lyrical monster with a cool style

i disagree with some of the review. "yous a hoe" and "in the ground with ya niggaz" are really mad songs...short and sweet

"whip pussy" is a mad song because i feel ALOT of guys need to listen to it...and not get so pussy whipped

anyway...i heard the chic who banks left this in her car sold it for like 75 000 bucks

2Pax

D/L yesterday, havn't stopped listening to it, great album, shows why he's the best member of G-unit in my opinion. Only downside with this album is that Banks sings too many hooks and he's not a hook singer well at least I can't get to like his hooks, speaking of hooks 50 Cent kills it on 'It's Simple', "It's simple ain't it// the D's trying to find out if it's gang related// i'm riding in my old school candy painted/ the unit on top and they mad we made it// we can't be faded//it's simple ain't it//" - Catchy as hell.

Solid 8 outta 10. Looking forward to Gang Green. :thumb:

Sarr

Wishes he was on probation
^
i disagree. I think he pulls off the singing well most of the time. Like "it feels good when you come up, cause i remember hooowww iitt was when i was ddoowwwn"

and the other one. "now this rap shit, has been good to me, it keeps me in cars, keeps me in jewellery..."etc

the one where he goes "sometime i feel uugglllyyy" sounds good too

7 Syns

eh.

The hooks are decent, some are good and well thought of, others seemed rushed as fuck. All in all I believe half the hooks wouldn't have survived the final cut. Example "Nobody Believe's Me" just screams out that an R&B diva wouldve laced vocals for the hook and Banks is just putting it down how he wants it to be done etc.

peace.

I think Banks needs to bring in some more guys for his real release. Listening to only Lloyd banks for 14 songs in a row, for me it's impossible not to get bored. None of it was really terrible, I just didn't really like it. I guess if I could put all my feelings into one word it would be... mediocracy.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.