LL Cool J teams up with CSI creator for TV project

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
LL Cool J will co-develop, produce and star in a new CBS drama under the rapper/actor’s new talent deal with the network.

Born James Todd Smith, the artist will team with CSI creator Anthony Zuiker for The Man, which will star the actor as an undercover LAPD officer who works nights in various sting operations and spends days raising his three adopted children: an abused boy with an aggression problem, a former streetwalker girl he put in community college and a skateboarder boy who is a recovering drug addict, reports Reuters.

The cop's cover is being The man – or the go-to hustler who can hook up LA’s elite with anything, from getting into the hottest nightclubs to scoring Lakers tickets.

"He is the only honest man on the wrong side of the law," said Zuiker, the one-time Las Vegas tram operator who has been listening to LL’s music since he was a kid. To craft the main character, Zuiker said he used bits and pieces from LL’s own life as a rapper who balances his career with being a father of four.

"He can be a talented multi-platinum rapper and an amazing father," Zuiker said. "He has such an amazing spirit and has a great connection with the audience."

For Zuiker, working with LL Cool J is a "childhood dream come true," he said. "I remember going to his concert when I was 14 years old, wanting to be as famous as him."

The Man first took root in August, when CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler called Zuiker and asked if he would be interested in developing a series for LL, who had just signed a talent deal with the network. That same night, Zuiker came up with the show’s premise and couldn’t wait to pitch the show to his childhood idol.

"He loved it, and we're now officially in business," Zuiker said, adding the show will be a mix of procedural crime drama and character-driven drama, with the city of Los Angeles playing a major role just as Las Vegas, Miami and New York figure into Zuiker’s three CSI dramas.

"We're going to have a different sting every week, while the children's stories will be serialized," Zuiker further explained of the story structure. Also, music will factor largely into the show, with Motown classics and contemporary tunes providing much of the soundtrack.

Zuiker is writing The Man and will executive produce the project. LL and his manager, Jason Barrett, will serve as producers.

I know everyone hates LL for not being a gangsta rapper, but i still love him as a rapper and actor. This show seems kinda dumb tho... but i will check it out. Honest man, three adopted kids, one abused one an addict and one a hooker, he turns them all around and is the go to snitch for cops... very lifelike huh... im sure we can all relate (rollin eyes)

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.