Listening to the Singles

S. Fourteen

How many of you download the singles and play the shit out of it?
You know when an album leaks like The Documentary and 1/3 of the album was leaked before the album (Westside Story,Hate It Or Love It aka Envy Me,Higher,How We Do,Runnin).
Some of those songs were already in my playlist and I had been listening to it for weeks. Does that make any difference to the whole feel of the album? Does it ruin the feel? Does it make nay difference to you at all?

Feedback Please.

DPG iz all I C

Yeah i listen to them and sometimes it takes away the eagerness about an album but if the song is good and has decent replay value them its a good thing.

saltynuts said:
Does it ruin the feel?
Most definitely. I very rarely download songs leaked before an album drops, and if i do i will only listen to them a couple of times at most. For example, i hadn't heard any of the songs off The Documentary until i heard the album. Same with Streets Desciple - i only listened to Thief's Theme maybe 3 times and then deleted it. That way, when you get to the song you've already heard a million times when you get the album, you don't skip it straight away, and you can hear the album in it's entirety first time.

Singles influence your view and feelings about an album..So logically if the 1st and 2nd single are banging you'll appreciate the album more..same thing if both singles suck. As you know artists try to give you that great feeling in other words try to manipulate you..That is one of the reasons why ppl dislike Eminem...

BUt to me...I'd rather hear just 2 songs b4 the album drops...or b4 I download it...If I hear too much of it like others said it can take away the special feeling it is suppose to have. You gotta keep in mind that albums arent made to download so the artists try to give back a lil quality for your money unfortunately sometimes that quality is only in the singles...and there ya go now im off topic but thats one of the reasons ppl download albums...

I do it all the time, for instance I'm playing the shit out of Kanye West's "Diamonds Are Forever", same goes for Common. When I get their CD's I'll still play them to death.

S. Fourteen

This brings back memories.

I guess I'll answer my question. As for The Documentary, I think it made a little bit of a difference in the whole feel. When the album leaked, I skipped a few songs (Westside Story, How We Do & Higher) because I wanted to hear the rest of the songs I hadn't heard yet. I still thought the album was 'bangin' but it makes me wonder how my reaction would have been different if all of the songs were fresh to me... I think I would have liked it more to be honest.

aloivas' post made me think when I made this thread months ago. I don't play the shit out of singles anymore. Like the Kanye song.. I've heard it about 3 times total and I think the song is good (I'm not a fan of Kanye - just throwing that in there) but I'm waiting on the album. I don't download singles as much as I used to anymore... I think I prefer listening to albums and having the whole thing be fresh....

Is there anything wrong with that? (I guess I'm asking the 'heads')

How many of you download the singles and play the shit out of it?
Yup. For instance, "Get Wild" off the next Double R disc, got it yesterday and I've been playing the shit out of it, and Styles P's "Pop The Clutch".

Does that make any difference to the whole feel of the album? Does it ruin the feel? Does it make nay difference to you at all?
imo, it doesn't "ruin the feel", it just serves to further hype me up for the eventual release of the album.

DPG iz all I C said:
Yeah i listen to them and sometimes it takes away the eagerness about an album but if the song is good and has decent replay value them its a good thing.
true i always end up skipping the singles if they ve been overplayed or overheard and all of the street leaks........doesnt sound as fresh then. :(

yeah i got higher a long time before the rest of the documentary and thrashed it. i loved it so much, but now when its comes on i skip it...

a shame really.

aloivas' post made me think when I made this thread months ago. I don't play the shit out of singles anymore. Like the Kanye song.. I've heard it about 3 times total and I think the song is good (I'm not a fan of Kanye - just throwing that in there) but I'm waiting on the album. I don't download singles as much as I used to anymore... I think I prefer listening to albums and having the whole thing be fresh....

Is there anything wrong with that? (I guess I'm asking the 'heads')
I doubt there is anything wrong with it...I think artists make albums to play it all the way through...Singles are just something to get you buying that album...I know that Tonedeff asked his fans not to download it ( His album Archetype) for a couple of reasons...

Downloading doesn't help him sales wise...it does give him some more attention tho..

One other reason he said was...He wanted his fans to experience his album as 1 piece of work..Meaning you gotta listen to it all the way through without skipping 1 song...

That made me think..

I think every artists thinks about his or her album like that...Wouldn't you as an artist suck if you only had singles on ya album..but than I think does it matter? As long as those singles are hot ppl will listen to it...Without having a subject..I mean for Tonedeff it was making a step towards to the new hip-hop,the future trying to open ppl the fuck up...With artists as the Game who give me the impression they have to put nething on their album just make it sell...Im not so sure if those artists need that active listening...
For those I sometimes think an album is really only 80 minute cd filled with singles...

Im still thinking about this...If it is only meant 4 singles than why name the album The Documentury..and not Game's Hot singles...This is something I still have to work out...Maybe yall could help..

I thought it would be ok to share...since it is still related to topic...

I know that the many leaked tracks from The Documentary influenced my perception of the album as a whole. I flipped right through Westside Story, Dreams, Hate It or Love It, Higher, How We Do and Runnin' when I copped the album. Not the same as when The Chronic dropped in '92 and I listened to it from start to finish everyday for five months. Damn the Internet (just kidding).

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.