Lil' Kim - Ms G.O.A.T.L: Greatest of all time

Tha_Wood

Underboss
Staff member
“Ms. G.O.A.T: Greatest of All Time”

A year and a half ago Lil’ Kim was released from prison, having served a federal sentence for perjury. The charge stemmed from testimony she gave about a shootout in 2001 outside the New York radio station Hot 97. Since then she has been relatively quiet, but she broke her musical silence this month with a mixtape, “Ms. G.O.A.T.: Greatest of All Time,” compiled by Whoo Kid and Mister Cee.

Record companies have complicated feelings about mixtapes, which promote top rappers while also violating copyright law. (Since no royalties are paid, they can’t legally be sold or even given away.) But these days that’s not Lil’ Kim’s problem. She recently told MTV that she was leaving her longtime home, Atlantic Records. “They’re letting me fly,” she said.

To celebrate, she has made a fitfully entertaining mixtape. Some of her rhymes are alarmingly clumsy. (For example: “Some wanna play Queen Bee like she dumb/I burn rappers like tanning under the sun.”) But it’s a relief to hear her sounding as brash as ever, even after a few difficult years.

There remains something pleasingly paradoxical about her approach. The more she brags about her sexual appeal, the more she de-emphasizes it, underscoring the notion that she would rather be powerful than desirable. “Men see the video/And go lick the TV, slow,” she rhymes, shifting her (and our) focus from the image on screen to the salivators in front of it.

Elsewhere she borrows beats from Lauryn Hill and the Lady of Rage; remakes a famous Notorious B.I.G. skit; adds her voice to hits by Britney Spears (“Gimme More”) and Gucci Mane (“Freaky Gurl”); and mercilessly taunts the competition, especially in the sing-song Track 10. You won’t be reading its title here. Suffice it to say that prison hasn’t given her any extra sympathy for her detractors.

source: nytimes.com

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.