Lawsuits filed over Biggie Smalls CD

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
A Nashville jury will hear a complicated lawsuit over samples used by the late Notorious B.I.G. on his 1994 album, Ready to Die.

Music publisher Bridgeport Music Inc., and its sister company, Westbound Records, filed a copyright infringement suit in Nashville federal court against the estate of the late rapper, born Christopher Wallace, Bad Boy Records and Universal Records, AllHipHop.com reported.

The suit claims B.I.G. illegally incorporated "Singing in the Morning" by the Ohio Players and Horny Horns' "Up for the Down Stroke," in two of his raps on the album.

Attorneys for Bad Boy and Universal argued before the judge last week "Singing in the Morning" was recorded before songs had federal copyright protection, AllHipHop.com said.

Bridgeport and Westbound attorney Richard Busch maintained the publisher does have a federal copyright on the song along with hundreds of other 1970s funk recordings.

Bridgeport has filed 477 similar lawsuits since 2001 but this will be the first to go to trial if a settlement is not reached by March.

Kareem

why the hell do these people always wait like 10 ta 12 years and after the album dropped and the artist is dead to file some stupid law suit?

EDouble

Will suck off black men for a dime
Kareem said:
why the hell do these people always wait like 10 ta 12 years and after the album dropped and the artist is dead to file some stupid law suit?
BECAUSE THEY'RE LIL DICK BASTARDS
OR THEY JUST HEAR IT :CONFUSED:

Doesnt matter if hes dead or not fools. Bad Boy was the most talentless copying rip-off record company EVER especially on biggy and mase and did it so blatantly its what pissed me off about their artists so much. Copying Rocky music, David bowie, Sting, Ron isley, Luniz, GOd knows I cant be bothered remembering the rest. Dickheads like that deserve to be shafted so people stop remaking and feeding off original artists and try being creative for once. I'm surprised Bad Boy hasnt got thousands of lawsuits they lucky if they invented one original track in their whole shit existence. Worse thing is, the chinless wonder CEO of puff daddy has created an empire and goes around like hes some kind of Don, even disgracing the Carlitos Way movie which I am a big fan of.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
taffy415 said:
Doesnt matter if hes dead or not fools. Bad Boy was the most talentless copying rip-off record company EVER especially on biggy and mase and did it so blatantly its what pissed me off about their artists so much. Copying Rocky music, David bowie, Sting, Ron isley, Luniz, GOd knows I cant be bothered remembering the rest. Dickheads like that deserve to be shafted so people stop remaking and feeding off original artists and try being creative for once. I'm surprised Bad Boy hasnt got thousands of lawsuits they lucky if they invented one original track in their whole shit existence. Worse thing is, the chinless wonder CEO of puff daddy has created an empire and goes around like hes some kind of Don, even disgracing the Carlitos Way movie which I am a big fan of.

Do you know what sampling is and how hip-hop was built on it?

Theres a difference between sampling on the odd occasion and blatantly ripping off other peoples hard on 99.9% of tracks in an album work through lack of using ones own imagination. Bad Boy was king of this type of crap. You "ALi G homies" wont appreciate this but go on and buy this kind of stuff. Its like they sit there playing through tunes "gee lets use that and change the words it sounds good ma main", compared to people like doctor dre in the studio making their own beats or improvising and making an effort to make them sound original at least by tweaking them.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
taffy415 said:
Theres a difference between sampling on the odd occasion and blatantly ripping off other peoples hard on 99.9% of tracks in an album work through lack of using ones own imagination. Bad Boy was king of this type of crap. You "ALi G homies" wont appreciate this but go on and buy this kind of stuff. Its like they sit there playing through tunes "gee lets use that and change the words it sounds good ma main", compared to people like doctor dre in the studio making their own beats or improvising and making an effort to make them sound original at least by tweaking them.

Check out NWA!! Is that a small sample from Dre? Or the same thing that Bad Boy did. You are a Diddy hater, it's obvious from your post.
There's different production methods, Bad Boy were huge in the 90's, obviously there approach worked.

Seems us "Ali G homies" know a lot more than you.

Pittsey said:
Check out NWA!! Is that a small sample from Dre? Or the same thing that Bad Boy did. You are a Diddy hater, it's obvious from your post.
There's different production methods, Bad Boy were huge in the 90's, obviously there approach worked.

Seems us "Ali G homies" know a lot more than you.
what exactly do you know? do you know anything about music? you ever played music? you ever written music? or are you just one of the general american brainless population that likes music 'because it sounds good' and have no idea what actually is going on. there are different ways to sample, incase you didnt know. you can do it-a.)by taking another persons whole fucking song, increasing the bass and adding a few more kick drums(bad boy style, which is pathetic and effortless);-b.)taking small parts of another song and building something new around it;-c).cutting up small parts of another song, changing the melody a bit, and building new all around it(not easy so none of you can probably do it);-d.)taking different parts of a song, overlapping them, and building around it; there can be other ways but you see, the main element to this is BUILDING NEW SHIT AROUND IT. bad boy does nothing of the sort, its brainless bullshit music that appeals to an idiotic population. I'm not gonna argue it makes money, but hell, there is ZERO musicianship in doing it. if you are a musician with zero musicianship, you're nothing but a fraud. a good sampler can sample something and make it sound little to nothing like the song he sampled. Yes, we know that hip hop started as a sampling music, but that was when technology wasn't that great and we didnt have much to work with. now you have so much at your fingertips, to not use it is a crime. As far as Dr. Dre goes, yeah some NWA tracks used a bit of a sample but that was when, 1988? And yeah, Whats My Name is a pretty big sample on Atomic Dog but it was well done, snoop crushed the track, and not every song on that album was a fucking dead rip off sample. Once in a while its OK to do that, but if you think making an entire living off that is legit you lose all credibility in music discussion and should leave this forum immediately.

Yes, I hate Diddy wowee big deal I love to admit it. guys a chinless talentless wonder who butts in the background of his artists songs just to say "ugh" or "yeah thats right" not to mention their videos as well as jacking whole songs left right and centre. I respect your opinion for favouring the dude but respect mine too for allowing me to believe he's the biggest piece of plagiaristic shite on this star system. True about snoop and Dre sampling (to some extent but at least they changed the beats too), but I've yet to hear anyone ever complain about their music being copied or crap, or complain at all lol, they actually made the tunes their own. Crap music sells regardless, Master P being a case in point with his "UUUgh" like he's havin a hard crap. Pittsey you dont like bein wrong. Say what you want but am not gonna do the "I'l have the last word" thing. Oh, and if the best excuse Bad Boy Attorneys have in this case is "there were no copywrite laws at the time we jacked the track", then I feel sorry for the people who can even defend these scroats.

taffy415 said:
Yes, I hate Diddy wowee big deal I love to admit it. guys a chinless talentless wonder who butts in the background of his artists songs just to say "ugh" or "yeah thats right" not to mention their videos as well as jacking whole songs left right and centre. I respect your opinion for favouring the turd but respect mine too for allowing me to believe he's the biggest piece of plagiaristic shite on this star system. True about snoop and Dre sampling (to some extent but at least they changed the beats too), but I've yet to hear anyone ever complain about their music being copied or crap, or complain at all lol, they actually made the tunes their own. Crap music sells regardless, (Master P being a shining case in point with his "UUUgh" like he's havin a hard crap). Pittsey you dont like bein wrong. Say what you want but am not gonna do the "I'l have the last word" thing. Oh, and if the best excuse Bad Boy Attorneys have in this case is "there were no copywrite laws at the time we jacked the track", then I feel sorry for the people who can even defend these scroats.
. PS. its their approach son not there.

^Well take a look at that Gwen Stefani song with Slim Thug...that's just a straight up rip off. The song still sounds good though. I'll agree that it's an effortless way to make money and get credit for making a beat but as long as they get the sample cleared then I don't see a problem with it. In this case though, when your dealing with a song that came out THAT long ago and the artist is dead...it's just ridiculous.

taffy415 said:
let him diss carlitos way cuz it sucked homie

SonOf2pac

i like sampling... if the song sounds good to you then it is... leave it at that... who cares who wrote it or who produced it... it's fuckin' music... :woah: buggy :woah: buggy :woah: buggy :woah: buggy buggy :woah: buggy

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Unmentionable said:
what exactly do you know? do you know anything about music? you ever played music? you ever written music? or are you just one of the general american brainless population that likes music 'because it sounds good' and have no idea what actually is going on. there are different ways to sample, incase you didnt know. you can do it-a.)by taking another persons whole fucking song, increasing the bass and adding a few more kick drums(bad boy style, which is pathetic and effortless);-b.)taking small parts of another song and building something new around it;-c).cutting up small parts of another song, changing the melody a bit, and building new all around it(not easy so none of you can probably do it);-d.)taking different parts of a song, overlapping them, and building around it; there can be other ways but you see, the main element to this is BUILDING NEW SHIT AROUND IT. bad boy does nothing of the sort, its brainless bullshit music that appeals to an idiotic population. I'm not gonna argue it makes money, but hell, there is ZERO musicianship in doing it. if you are a musician with zero musicianship, you're nothing but a fraud. a good sampler can sample something and make it sound little to nothing like the song he sampled. Yes, we know that hip hop started as a sampling music, but that was when technology wasn't that great and we didnt have much to work with. now you have so much at your fingertips, to not use it is a crime. As far as Dr. Dre goes, yeah some NWA tracks used a bit of a sample but that was when, 1988? And yeah, Whats My Name is a pretty big sample on Atomic Dog but it was well done, snoop crushed the track, and not every song on that album was a fucking dead rip off sample. Once in a while its OK to do that, but if you think making an entire living off that is legit you lose all credibility in music discussion and should leave this forum immediately.

I'm not going to justify it. Hip-Hop was built on sampling. You are wrong. It's your opinion if you don't like it, but you can't argue with history.

I'm not going to post my music CV, I don't need to justify anything.

Also I'm not American, and I'm not leaving.

Unmentionable said:
Once in a while its OK to do that, but if you think making an entire living off that is legit you lose all credibility in music discussion and should leave this forum immediately.

Diddy's $500 million disagrees with you.

taffy415 said:
Yes, I hate Diddy wowee big deal I love to admit it. guys a chinless talentless wonder who butts in the background of his artists songs just to say "ugh" or "yeah thats right" not to mention their videos as well as jacking whole songs left right and centre. I respect your opinion for favouring the dude but respect mine too for allowing me to believe he's the biggest piece of plagiaristic shite on this star system. True about snoop and Dre sampling (to some extent but at least they changed the beats too), but I've yet to hear anyone ever complain about their music being copied or crap, or complain at all lol, they actually made the tunes their own. Crap music sells regardless, Master P being a case in point with his "UUUgh" like he's havin a hard crap. Pittsey you dont like bein wrong. Say what you want but am not gonna do the "I'l have the last word" thing. Oh, and if the best excuse Bad Boy Attorneys have in this case is "there were no copywrite laws at the time we jacked the track", then I feel sorry for the people who can even defend these scroats.

I don't favour Bad Boy. Although I am a Biggie fan.

All I said was that hip-hop was built on sampling. So don't attack the art form that created rap music. I don't mind being wrong, but in this case I'm not.

taffy415 said:
i hate buffy too! more for him being a faggot than a producer....:horny:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online