KRS-One threatens journalist at hip-hop conference

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Lawrence "KRS-One" Parker this past weekend, during the Know-The-Ledge Hip Hop conference at Stanford University, used a discussion about the difference between hip hop and rap to berate hip hop journalist Adisa Banjoko.

"What I wanna do is jump across the table and beat your fuckin ass," said Parker after Banjoko challenged him to a debate.

Tension mounted when, during his opening remarks, Parker said that, as opposed to a rapper, a hip hop artist points out truth on the spot. He proceeded to accuse Banjoko of slandering his name, calling him "a fraud," "a enemy to our culture," and even accusing him of being "a FBI agent in disguise."

Banjoko responded by yelling "stop the violence," a statement made often by Parker in the past. Parker continued, saying "you ain’t thug," to which Banjoko asked does he have to be? Parker responded, "with me you do. Today you do." Banjoko then accused Parker of sending him a death threat, a claim Parker denied. He continued calling Banjoko a fraud and undercover agent, and warned, "…and don’t let us be somewhere." KRS-One maintained that Banjoko had previously slandered his name in public.

Banjoko, who disputes Parker’s claim that his self and others "are hip hop," because it is simply too large, said, "I’m not hip hop. I’m a black man and I got enough sense to know it. I got enough sense to know I’m a black man in America." Banjoko claims he has challenged Parker to debate about whether an individual can in fact be hip hop, and said Parker responded with insulting e-mails and personal attacks.

In an interview Banjoko said, "I got lots of emails from MCs, DJs, B-boys, from all over the world – many of whom are famous. You know what they said to me? They said, "You are 1000% correct. KRS is on some bullshit, and I’ve been tired of it, but nobody would say anything." But these cats won’t say it publicly."

Adissa BanJoko is a good brother. I had the privelege of meeting him a whillllllllle back at the MCA with brother Anas Cannon....Honestly...KRS1 was a great artist to me. But by him acting like a dick in the past couple of years...i've lost respect 4 dude

KRS is legendary in the rap game. I love him for being a full of life MC and character, there's no one like him.

He does seem to have a few sour grapes though, it's as if he's looking for respect in places he shouldn't bother.

I reckon challenging KRS to a debate over the personification of hip-hop is pretty fucking cocky and ridiculous.

Still though, stupid and unnecessary comments from KRS.

YOu know what...? Most of you who respond on this site think that Jim Jones is nice! Or that 'HIP HOP' is platinum sales and heavy MTV rotation. KRS ONE IS HIP HOP! He helped propell the sport to what it is today. Lyrical content, Legendary battle, author of 'Criminal Minded' and 'By All Means Necessary', one of the first to let you savages know that biblical figures were Black, etc, etc...

Yeah, Kris is a little opinionated sometimes, but that comes with one who made positive contributions to the game...watching it transform into nothing more than another JewMans playground and way to feed their kids.

You negroes and coons who talk bad about your elder Black artist are the same reason that Rock N Roll, Jazz, Blues and even RNB (sooner or later) are considered white creations. White kids do not bash their forefathers in the arts. They worship their creativity and carry their throne, if need be.

RESPECT, little children. Learn it!
Before they start saying hip hop started in 99 with Eminem.

G.WELL

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.