Kody Scott - Monster

Kody Scott -=MONSTER=-

Hey guys, I was wondering what you knew anything about Kody Scott's (sp?) book Monster. If you are uninformed, he was a child in 80's L.A. who joined the crips at age 12 and led a gang life until he was arrested before 20. Anyways, the book is an autobiography penned from penitentary, where he is serving several life sentences. I was wondering if you guys had read it and/or if you had any other stories relating to Monster? I live in Winnipeg so I know I'm extremely removed from the situation described in the book, but I found it very compelling, eye-opening, and a valuable piece of writing. Was anybody around that area at the time? I'm sorry if this is a taboo request and I'm too ignorant to realize it. Just me and my friends all enjoyed the persepective the book provided, and any additional perspective you could offer would help in our understanding of what went on during that time. If you havn't read the book, especially if you're from a place where you only see guns once in a while; it's manditory. It shows the horror and method to the ghetto's of 80's L.A. I believe it was even more so taking place in the late 70's, for crack hadn't come out yet and they were smokin angel dust heavily. But the book does show how destructive crack is, for there were many less drug-related instances than I would have expected to hear about, most of the violence was over territory or beefs, as opposed to a paper chase.

If you like rap, you can't dislike this book, if you're interested in people in other places, and L.A. is a place other than where you are, you can't dislike this book. I think it's a few years old, but you should be able to find it pretty easy, it was at McNally Robinson's (Walmart of bookstores over here it seems, big fuccin place, but it was right there in the biography section) so definately check it out if you havn't already.

Anybody got any after thoughts on the book Monster, Kody Scott, or the time-line in question?

ya that part kinda scared the shit outta me... fucking with the wrong people obviously.. then again they did his sister about as bad...

ArtsyGirl

Yeah Redemption was great! The book was aswell I think every hip hop fan should read it and should be mandatory reading for schools lol not that that will ever happen but it might scare kids from gangs. I got a copy from the library and then bought my own copy, I been meaning to re-read it but I got so many other books to get through.
If you loved Monster go cop Uprising its a book about how the rival gangs can find peace, it interviews all OG's from both gangs. Definately a must read.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.