Kenn Starr Interview

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I first heard him on Foreign Exchange's Connected Album last year. He was on the song, "The Answer". After I heard his verse, I fell in love with him. I had to do google him up, dude is fucking tight. Here's the interview with Metaphoric Clothing. Y'all can check them out at www.metaphoricclothing.com They also have many other interviews with dope artists such as JUICE.

March 17, 2005
Heads are just starting to become familiar with your first single “If,” but people are still walking around blindfolded on some, “who the hell is this Kenn Starr guy?” So we thought it would be nice for you to give the readers a snazzy little intro to serve as a heads up, in other words who is Kenn Starr, and what makes him different then the million other emcees hitting open mics around the globe?
Kenn Starr, Halftooth Records recording artist, representing Low Budget. From Fort Washington, Maryland by way of Suffolk, Virginia. Up and coming lyricist, your future favorite emcee (you just don’t know it yet, haha). Nah but seriously, I don’t feel like there’s any particular type of gimmick or angle that separates me from the rest of the cats out here trying to do their thing. Basically I bring my own unique views and style to my work, and let people take it for what it is. I’m just here to make good music and hopefully carve out my own little niche in hip hop.

Ken Starr was the guy that tried to prosecute Bill Clinton, how did the name of the cat that was trying to impeach the former president become associated with the emcee that stands in front of us today, and are there any hidden or personal meanings to the moniker?
Initially it was just a nickname I was given. But once the the whole Clinton scandal jumped off, you would hear that name everyday on the news, so it really stuck after that. Looking back on it now, it holds more meaning to me. With that whole situation, I felt like dude (independent counsel Kenneth Starr) showed everybody that no one was untouchable, not even the President, and he was willing to go against the big dogs. So I bring that same mentality to my career. It’s like regardless of who you are or what you’ve accomplished, I’m willing to do whatever it takes to uphold what I believe in and what I’m trying to do. And also with the Starr Report (the document that went into the explicit details of Clinton’s sexual encounters with Monica Lewinsky) I feel like I bring that same level of intensity and vivid imagery to my music.

Even during your prepubescent days you were catching wreck as an emcee. What was your first experience with hip-hop music and culture, and with so many ways to express yourself within one art form what gravitated you to the vocal aspect of this culture?
My earliest memories of hip hop were being around older relatives who would play rap (this is late 80s, early 90s). I always naturally gravitated to that type of music, and it wasn’t long before I decided that it was something I wanted to take part in. Being at a young age, I didn’t initially realize that hip hop encompassed an entire culture. The rhyming aspect was all I knew, so that’s what I got into.

your first single “If/Walk the Walk” was just recently released on Half Tooth Records, are you happy with the response that the record has received from both consumers and college radio?
The response that the record has gotten has been great. The college radio DJ’s have definitely been supporting it over the last several months, something I’m greatly appreciative of. With this being my formal introduction to the hip hop community, I felt it was important that I make a good first impression. And from the feedback I’ve gotten thus far, I think I’ve accomplished that.

You have some big name guest appearances on your first single, both Talib Kweli and Asheru of the Unspoken Heard lend their voices to “If,” how did the collaboration come into effect, and what was it like working with the two seasoned veterans?
Basically the execs at Halftooth had the idea for the collaboration and made it happen. They gave me the track they had in mind and felt like myself, Asheru and Kweli would make a good combo. Me and Asheru linked up here in Maryland, came up with the concept and knocked out our part. Then later, me and Oddisee (who produced the track) went up to NY to link with Talib and sat in on his session while he recorded his part. The song came out good, and I felt privileged to have two established and respected emcees be a part of it.

Your debut album, “Starr Status,” will be hitting stores sometime this year. What producers and artists will you be working with on your debut record, and what can the readers expect “The Starr Status LP” to do to their necks, Techs, and tape decks?
The majority of the production on this album will be handled by my in-house producers, Kev Brown, Oddisee, Kenwood, and DJ Roddy Rod. I also have joints from Illmind & M-Phazes (from the Wax Reform crew). On the feature tip, I got cats from my crew, I got Wordsworth on there, as well as a couple very special guests I can’t speak on quite yet. As far as what listeners can expect: dope beats and dope rhymes, simple as that. I’m giving ‘em a decent variety of subject matter, just basically showin’ what I’m about as an artist.

Your debut album will be dropping on Half Tooth Records, how did you and the indie imprint first hook up, is this a permanent home for Kenn Starr, and with the talent that Half Tooth has on its’ roster what makes it different from the swarm of labels that are over saturating the market?
I hooked up with Halftooth through Oddisee. At the time, he was already signed with them, and made it possible for me to submit some material for the “You Don’t Know The Half” compilation. They really liked what they heard and felt like I’d be a strong addition to their roster, and here I am today. Without getting into the specifics of my contract, I’ll just say that I’m satisfied with them as label and happy to call Halftooth home. I think was separates them from some of the other independents is their focus on the artist. They maintain direct personal relationships with their artists and allow them the type of creative control that I feel is necessary to make quality music.

Give the readers a little heads up on your crew Low Budget, who makes up the crew, how did yahll link up, what does each member bring to the table, and do yahll plan on assembling the lions with a Low Budget full length for world domination any time soon?
Low Budget is a collective of emcees, producers and DJ’s, based out of Maryland (although all members aren’t from MD). Low Budget consists of myself, Kev Brown, Critically Acclaimed (Quartermaine, C.A.L.I.B.E.R., and DJ Marshall Law), Oddisee, Sean Born, Kaimbr, Cy Young, I.Q., DJ Roddy Rod, & DJ PMD. The core members linked up initially at the University of Maryland College Park, at their college radio station, and other members came into the picture later on. Each member brings their own flavor to the mix, whether it be with rhymes, their style of production, or their skills on the 1’s and 2’s. I think our strong point is that as strong as we are collectively, we can also stand on our own as individual artists. We’re slated to drop both a mixtape and a full length crew album later in the year, as well as individual projects from myself, Kev Brown, Critically Acclaimed & Isaac Jones (myself and Sean Born).

The producer that seemed to catch everybody’s ear in 2004 is Low Budget member Oddisee who produced “If.” Yahll seem to be like audio peanut butter and jelly, how did yahll hook up musically, and what is it that makes yahll two click so good together creatively?
Oddisee was actually one of the the first producers I worked with extensively. I think our creative chemistry stems from just being around each other in the lab, him understanding me as an emcee and me understanding him as a emcee and producer. We went through a lot of trial and error as far as the songs we’ve recorded in the past, but over the years we’ve found our groove, so to speak. It’s to the point now where he knows what beats I’d like, which beats I’d love, and which beats I’d pass on. So our collabos just come naturally now. And it doesn’t hurt that he’s as nice behind the mic as he is behind the boards.

You were featured on Foreign Exchange’s album “Connected” on the track “The Answer.” How did you get involved in the record that everybody is calling the album of 2004, and since Nicolay and Phonte never met while recording the album have you yet to meet either member of the critically acclaimed group face to face?
The whole Foreign Exchange situation was real impromptu. I tagged along with Critically Acclaimed and Oddisee on their road trip to North Carolina to work with Little Brother. Phonte, who was workin’ on the project at the time, let us hear some of Nicolay’s beats. He played the joint that would end up being “The Answer” and me and Oddisee just started kickin’ some stuff. He was feelin’ it & he suggested we hop on the song. We crashed on his living room floor and the next day we were up in the Chopp Shopp (Justus League studio) layin’ down vocals. And lemme just say that Little Brother and the rest of the Justus League are some of the coolest, down to earth people you’ll ever meet. Southern hospitality is not a myth! I still haven’t met Nicolay in person. I was at the Beat Society show in NY that he performed at, but didn’t get a chance to meet him before he left.

Your music has a Native Tongues type of vibe to it, who were your influences growing up musically?
It’s funny you should say that, because A Tribe Called Quest’s “Midnight Marauders” was the first hip hop album I ever copped. I was definitely influenced early on by cats like Tribe, De La Soul, as well as cats like Nas, Wu-Tang, and even Snoop and other west coast artists. But my biggest influence came in my formative years, listening to artists like Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Ras Kass, Canibus, Pharoahe Monch, etc., cats I felt like were pushing the envelope lyrically.

Washington D.C. seems to never get the same attention that its’ east coast neighboring cities receive, so we want Kenn Starr to give us a ghetto tour of the untouched landscape that is our nation’s capital. What are some of the hot record spots, open mics, clubs, strip clubs, and who are some of the next artists to blow out of Dodge City if given the right type of exposure?
Record spots: DJ Hut and Capitol City Records. Open Mics: Bar Nun. Clubs: Dream, H2O. Strip clubs: no comment, haha. Next to blow: Low Budget.

Since this is an interview for Metaphoric Clothing I guess it would only be right to touch on fashion. What types of labels and flavors can we find Kenn Starr rocking on a day to day basis?
I’m a t-shirt and jeans type of dude at heart. I’m not really into brands like that, but I’ve always been a fan of the Ecko line. I’m feeling Akademiks and LRG as well. Basically whatever looks good and is affordable. Following trends is too expensive these days.

What was the last record you bought, movie you saw, or book that you read that inspired you to write or hit the studio?
Jay-Z’s “Fade To Black” hands down. Watching Hov rock the Garden had me amped. Plus seeing him in the lab and witnessing his creative process was really motivating. Definitely made me wanna step my game up.

I have been waiting to ask Common, Q-Tip, or any other conscious emcees, and since your music has that Native Tongues type of flavor I am going to try it out on you. When was the last time that Kenn Starr had to get his Charlie Murphy on and was forced to get physical, choke somebody out, or really had to hold back from said actions?
I’m a real chill dude, so it takes a lot for me to get that upset. I try to keep the negativity and drama to a minimum, so things like that don’t happen that often. But I guess I would have to say a couple of years back, I was in a cipher that escalated into battle, which got outta hand. Some people take things too personally (I’m sure my fellow emcees out there can relate). When it was all said and done, everything was resolved peacefully (well at least there were no blows thrown) But yeah, sorry folks, no Ron Artest-type stories from Kenn Starr, haha.

What is on tap for Kenn Starr in 2005?
First and foremost, "The Starr Report Mixtape" droppin' in the spring, followed by the album “Starr Status” coming later this year. Also got the Isaac Jones project coming soon, produced entirely by Kev Brown. Other than that, appearances on upcoming projects from Kev Brown, Critically Acclaimed, Cesar Comanche, Illmind & S1, as well as other guest spots and collabos.

Do you have any words of wisdom, shout outs, disses, Springer Final Thoughts, or Zen Ideologies that you would like to leave the readers with?Shout out to Metaphoric Clothing. Everybody keep your eyes and ears open for Low Budget in 2005.
Here is his myspace http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7240339

Check out the tracks.
Remember where you heard it first.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.