Kanye West biting MF DOOM?

Duke

Staff member
Yes, very perceptive tommy :D I agree though, the drums are straight jacked and if you would've played the Kanye song without vocals for me, i would've sworn it was a Doom beat.

do i hear lawsuit?

i hope he gets sued for every penny. even that metal plate in his fucking chin that he shows off in like every video

"look at me, im so cool, i have metal in my chin. i dare you to punch me it wont hurt!"

TCD

Ghetto_Ghost said:
do i hear lawsuit?

i hope he gets sued for every penny. even that metal plate in his fucking chin that he shows off in like every video

"look at me, im so cool, i have metal in my chin. i dare you to punch me it wont hurt!"
lol......hater

Do you have the original?

anyhow doom is da shit,should aleast pay the man for samplin if he did.oh yeah i got operation doomsday brand new from a used cd shop for 10 bucks!!!hello Ebay

PuffnScruff

thats what kanye does. he has said himself that he would steal from anyone even if its just a snare. he admited to biting dre's drums long time ago.

roaches

"8 Steps to Perfection (roaches's Digging in the Crates and swinging a stuffed sock remix)"

1. This post is disappointing.

2. MFDoomsite.com sucks.

3. The Ill Community sucks.

4. No DJ/producer owns a sample.

5. Yes, those drums are the same.

6. MF Doom and Kanye West are not the only ones to use them. Marley fucking Marl used them. Those are the same drums that were used on the very first Eric B & Rakim song recorded (and their very first b-side. Incidentally, this song is also the inspiration for Teiarra Mari's "Make Her Feel Good"). Doom even sampled Rakim's vocals from that song on "The Mic" (you could legitimately argue that Just Blaze was biting MF Doom on Jay-Z/M.O.P.'s "Put it in the Air", since I believe it also uses the same drums and a Rakim vocal sample).

7. Even if this WAS somehow biting, Doom's hardly innocent. Many people rhymed over a sample from the same record Doom sampled for "Dead Bent", including 2Pac AND Biggie (I've been wanting to bring Biggie into this, because "Make Her Feel Good" also takes a cue from Biggie's "Things Done Changed"), before Daniel even came up with biting Marvel Comics.

8. Note that I haven't identified the sampled songs, because I don't violate and I borrowed shirts from Jim Jones's video shoot (This step interpolates Gang Starr's "Royalty").

Chronic

^^
I know all that and I was sure MF wasn't the first to use those drums but with DOOM's 'recent' exposure it seemed a bit too coincidental.
Most producers have an invidual style (influenced or not) and to me this doesn't sound like Kanye's shit while it could easily be on a Special Herbs album.

" 2. MFDoomsite.com sucks."

And yes very much agreed. I got it from that board but I didn't want to name it since I can't stand the people. I just browse it to get info on new tracks or what not.

Edit: You misunderstood me. I'm not saying Kanye bit DOOM cause they used the same sample, I should be banned from Hip-Hop if I was. The beat has DOOM written all over it AND it uses the exact same drums. Like I said above, with DOOM's 'recent' exposure it seemed too coincidental.

roaches

The sample sounds similar to the kind of records Doom likes to sample, I agree, but that doesn't mean Kanye was biting Doom. I think the aesthetic similarities are the result of the way Kanye joints these days are being replayed, mixed, mastered - by a guy who messes with orchestras, film scores, and acoustic shit. Some of Kanye's shit on Be, "Real People" in particular, also fits in with the Special Herb aesthetic (I could also see Doom over the advance version of "Family Business").

I think it's an interesting coincidence, and I have no doubt Kanye's heard Doom records, but I doubt Doom's style really rubbed off on Kanye that much, other than maybe Kanye saying, "Hey, these samples are pretty good, next time I'll go digging I'll check out those artists/labels and see if there's anything good that hasn't been used yet."

Edit: You misunderstood me. I'm not saying Kanye bit DOOM cause they used the same sample, I should be banned from Hip-Hop if I had. The beat has DOOM written all over it AND it uses the exact same drums. Like I said above, with DOOM's 'recent' exposure it seemed too coincidental.
Duly noted.

Duke

Staff member
Music industry, everyone jacks from everyone, thats common and accepted, but i agree with Chronic on that the track doesnt sound like a Kanye track at all to me. I would swear its a Doom production if i didn't know better.

I does though so it is a pretty good statement, wheter he did it on purpose or not, after all he basically admitted on record ( last call) that This Cant Be Life drums were basically the same as the ones Dre did on Xplosive so doesnt suprise me at all. Just gives more cred to MF as a porducer that sum1 like Kanye who is a big name producer would be inspired by it if he really did do it

It's eerily similar, like it was ripped straight off a Special Herbs..But why would he include all the elements into one song? Now this song sounds real out of place on the album for me.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.