Kanye down -$600 000?

I was looking at a website that had a quote about Kanye "at it again" or something along those lines in which he is caught up in being arrogant or whatever... (thats whats makes him great)

He says hes done $600 000 on his new album? is that possible? he already sold a shitload....

**edit found the link
http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/7993

5. Kanye's at it again. According to reports Kanye is back to his ole modest self when it comes to The Grammy's. "If I don't win Album of the Year, I'm gonna really have a problem with that. I can never talk myself out of [winning], you know why? Because I put in the work." Kanye continued, "I don't care if I jumped up and down right now on the couch like Tom Cruise. I don't care what I do, I don't care how much I stunt -- you can never take away from the amount of work I put into it. So I don't wanna hear all of that politically correct stuff. You put the camera in front of me, I'm gonna tell you like this. I worked hard to get here. I put my love, I put my heart, I put my money [into Late Registration]. I'm $600,000 in the hole right now on that album and you tell me about being politically incorrect?''

Casey

Staff member
Samples are a bitch to clear, they cost a shitload, especially when you use shit like shirley bassey. kanye uses too many samples man, im not surprised he's in debt.

obviously HE is not in debt ... i was thinking hes still 600 000 down on the album...so he hasnt even made his money back?...but i doubt it... i think for sure hes made money of the album already...and i read somewhere he actually didnt produce the whole album, some of it was co-produced

PuffnScruff

ThaTruth said:
obviously HE is not in debt ... i was thinking hes still 600 000 down on the album...so he hasnt even made his money back?...but i doubt it... i think for sure hes made money of the album already...and i read somewhere he actually didnt produce the whole album, some of it was co-produced

where did you read that? the album credits?:laugh:

TCD

PuffnScruff said:
where did you read that? the album credits?:laugh:
Before you know there will be threads like "Kanye has ghost producers".

I think he ment he may not have got his money back from the album.
Of course Kanye isn't in debt himself.

I wanna kick Kanye in the face each time he opens his mouth whether it be an interview or a song. I had tickets to his show tonight... and sold them cause i've got a hockey game.

_carmi

me, myself & us
kanye west himself cant be in debt. he makes a bunch of money for producin other people's tracks. so maybe he still has to pay 600,000 on that album.

Jon Brion co-produced the whole thing. This is how it works:

-Record Label (Roc-A-Fella) gives Kanye an advance to do the album...say $2 million (this doesn't happen w/all artists, some get less depending on how responsible the labels think they are. I'm guessing Jigga or whoever think Kanye can handle it himself)
-With that $2 million, it's up to Kanye to get his album done. That means studio sessions, co-producers, engineers, new equipment, shoot videos, do the ENTIRE marketing - ads, commercials, posters, whatever.
-When the album drops, Kanye will get royalties f/album sales, radio spins, promotional appearances (sometimes - magazines never pay an artist to appear on the cover or do a story about them)
-These royalties are subtracted f/the advance until there is a surplus. With samples, a portion of the royalties goes to the sample credit, and this reduces what Kanye gets drastically.

Until he makes more than his advance, he's "in the red" - meaning he's in the hole. So yeah, if Kanye theoretically spent $2 mil to make and promote the album, and he's only received $1.4 mil since then, he's down $600 g's. The article's probably right.

TCD

Kanye has sold 2,119,508 records of Late Registration to date. I'm figuring he's sold atleast another 500,000 in different countries. And still no royalties? Add atleast 250,000 from single sales and he's still in the red?Must be one expensive album.

btw, he has probably made double the 600,000 he owes in his Touch The Sky Tour.

Don't you pay a lump sum for samples? How can you pay royalties to every one of the people that have been sampled on an album? I can understand singles but album tracks?

************* said:
i bet he spent 6 million on the album but hes rich as fuck from producing other peoples shit and from his first albums sales. hes not in debt. IMO

exactlly, even if he is in debt he wont be for long...producers are the hustlers of the game.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.