JR Writer: Gotta Go Hard

SicC

Dying Breed
Staff member
JR Writer is back at it again with his latest album, Writer's Block 5, the first official release from his popular mixtape series. Keeping busy with mixtapes, touring and managing his record label Writer's Block Records, JR Writer still found time to come out with the fifth installment of his Writer's Block series. Already releasing Writer's Block 4 earlier this year, JR is going tit for tat with his albums and still has more to say. The Diplomat has had a full plate in 2007 and we can expect even more from him in 2008.

His newest album features the song, "Where You At," that attempts to go hard at other rappers in the industry with none other than the typical incentive of money. The idea for the song and military style video was to create a metaphor -- a battle that includes going in, taking over and getting money to define JR's place in the rap game.

BallerStatus spoke with the Dipset soldier about starting out with Cam'ron and working with Lil Wayne on the "We Gettin' It Baby (Remix)," as well as talked about the impact of Dipset worldwide and locally in NYC. Additionally, JR touched on the fact that he is one of the few Hispanic rappers in the game, not to mention Dipset itself.

BallerStatus.com: Back in the day, did you ever think Cam'ron was going to give you your "big break?"

JR Writer: Nah, I didn't know that, but I knew what my goal was -- I had to go hard. I had to get Cam. He was holding down Harlem at the time.

BallerStatus.com: How do you feel about your nickname "Ethiopian" from Cam'ron?

JR Writer: That's not a nickname. He just said that he seen that hunger in me. In his own way, he described that as Ethiopian. Bascially, my work ethic. The hunger when a rapper first starts.

BallerStatus.com: Do you think Dipset is often more exclusive to the NYC area rather than worldwide?

JR Writer: I think we worldwide. I think we need to get out there worldwide. They know Dipset across the world -- Japan, London. As far as NYC they get to see us more, be at the places we be at and club at the places we club at.

BallerStatus.com: With the on-going War in Iraq, why did you choose to shoot a military style video for the song "Where You At?"

JR Writer: Ain't got nothing to do with no Iraq. I'm just basically letting people know I'm ready for war and combat in rap terms. Ready to go to war and take over. When I did that video, I was making a statement. We ran up in the military base, took it over and took all the money. That was in a military scene thing going on in Long Island.

BallerStatus.com: What was it like to do a remix for "We Gettin' It Baby" with Lil Wayne, one of the hottest rappers out right now?

JR Writer: Yeah, you know like you said, he's one of the hottest rappers out. He's constantly touring. He did it while he was on the road and sent it right back. That's how we do. I shot my first single, "Byrd Call," on 204 and Post (specific streets in Harlem), had Lil Wayne out there, Dame Dash, Juelz [Santana]... everybody.

BallerStatus.com: How is your label Writer's Block Records doing these days, who's signed to it?

JR Writer: My little brother Fred Money and Show Gunner. Tryin' to get it off the ground. Tryin' to push it. Tryin' to make it. When I do get to that point where I can get in [the industry], I'm grinding early. I'm just really tryin' to get to the top, so I can get them with me.

BallerStatus.com: Do you think mixtapes or albums work better for you as an artist?

JR Writer: I could do both. I can do mixtapes and albums at the same time. That's what I started with -- mixtapes to get my name out there. Mixtape sh-- is more easier, but albums are more brainstorming and getting it out there. Use other people's beats and show people how lyrically inclined you are. Mixtapes are supposed to be promotional only, getting people prepped for your album. When you putting them out on the streets, they are good promotion. You just gotta get out there and push. I think mixtapes right now, they might be doin' better than a lot of records 'cause they don't go through all the packaging and sending, so they don't get leaked. You basically hitting the streets.

BallerStatus.com: It's almost the end of 2007, are the mixtapes, Block Work and Double Trouble with Hell Rell, going to be pushed until 2008 along with Writers Block: The Movement?

JR Writer: Me and Hell Rell is supposed to be coming out in 2008. Block Work is in stores right now. Ya'll gonna be hearing more and more from my artists. I'm getting them prepped, so that they can come out. I got a studio in my crib or we be in the city recording. A bunch of stuff people might not hear, but it will be out next year. Right now, they just getting prepped behind the scenes. It's hard out there, you gotta go hard.

BallerStatus.com: What's it like to be one of the few Hispanic rappers in the industry?

JR Writer: It feels good. I feel like I'm really going hard for my peoples. I feel the love in Wash Heights (Washington Heights in Harlem, NYC). No Dominican rappers in the game that I know of. I get to represent a whole different type of race anywhere I go from Boston to Florida. Wild Dominicans showin' me love. It's crazy. I was just in Orlando and Jacksonville. We gonna hit the road in a few more days. I'm tryin' to go everywhere -- Uptown, West Coast, Down South. I like doing all that. I like grinding to show my presence. That's when they [fans] go out and buy the album. They gotta feel your character. People don't just buy for one song. When you hot period and they like you as a person, they go buy your album. When they see your face and feel your presence, your presence is felt in that certain state. They like "I'mma f--- with Writer for real. I'mma go hit the stores and support him for real."

BallerStatus.com: Any last thoughts?

JR Writer: Just go out there and support your boy. I'm not letting up. Writer, Holla at me. Writer's Block 5 in stores.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.