Joshua "RIP" Mallett interview

What's up Josh? It's been a good while since I heard from you. What have you been up to lately?

Emil! What's good wit it big hommie!? Man…as u can see, I'm still out here doin my thang! Grindin hard, doin what I gotta do to get by without making the corporate man richer (in refference to refusing to working another 9 to 5)! I'm just a young entrepreneur out here tryna make it. Obviously I'm still doin the music thang, still runnin my independent label RiP Records and performing. That's my main love & hustle but I co-founded a new entertainment company as well this year and I promote shows too now. That's another hustle I got goin on. We have our first concert in July. So I been out here in Chicago… promoting that… dealing with radio and media. Man I also just did a lil extra roll in a new Warner Brothers movie being filmed in Chicago. I aint supposed to be sayin anything really, they made me sign a release form to not really talk about it but you know Rip keep it gutter. I did a lil extra roll as a prisoner in the new Batman movie which is due out in Summer of 2008. Some of my fans know I did a lil extra roll as a prisoner in 2006's movie Let's Go To Prison featuring Dax Sheppard & Will Arnett too, which ended up bein a stupid ass movie anyway, but I'm just out there tryna get my foot in the door in that business too. I would love to break into acting one of these days… so lately I've been tryna get my foot in the door doin little extra rolls cause my manager hasn't been able to find me anything bigger yet. But these damn casting company's need to stop typecasting me as a Prisoner! That's two in a row! Ha! I'm versatile man! But yeah… you should be able to catch a glimpse of Rip in the new Batman flick… but we'll see how it turns out. And I just finished mixing the new Chris White (aka Whiteboy) mixtape. That kid is sick. If yall don't know who he is… google the muffucka. He got dope lyrics, a tight flow, solid production and got a unique sound to him. He's got songs with Twista, Kanye West, Crucial Conflict, me and more. But yeah, that's what I been up too… grindin, hustlin… doin what I gotta do, you heard!? STAYIN BUSY!

You've got this new joint out called "AYE", which is a real club banger by the way. How has the reactions been on this track? Are people feeling it?

Yeah yeah. Thanks! Man honestly I've gotten alotta love for it so far, but the reactions have been mixed. I really haven't gotten any negative reviews to be honest but I have got the typical corporate answer from radio station music directors basically telling me: "the song is ok, but you aint payin me enough to say it's hot enough to be on the radio". That aint their exact words but I been in this game long enough to know how radio works. Club DJ's like it and spin it but it could definitely be getting a few more spins and support from radio. But I'm pushin it man… I'm letting my fans know to hit up all the radio stations who's music directors I got the song to to hit em up n request it. This way we can show the corporate mothafucka's it's blowin up in the streets and people actually wanna hear it on the radio. But what alotta people don't understand is that the whole music industry is all corporate and nothing but politics. But the small folks don't know that. So I'm just tryna get my fans and supporters to blow up the stations n let them know to support their local artists and play my shit! Shouts out to Mar-K from Public Announcement for the hook!

It's a long read, so please click here to read the rest

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.