Joe Budden's 'Dumb Out'--A Hip-Hop Classic?

Eric

You may be asking why am I doing this now, this song's been out for nearly a year and a half, but it's a song that I always come back to and it stands the test of time. I'm constantly telling people this song is in the Top 50 Greatest Rap Songs of All Time. I don't even know what else would be in the list, I don't have one, but it's a fair statement in my opinion to include this.

There's not a single dull moment in this entire 8 minutes of endless classic quotables. And though he was speaking on one particular part of his entire range, it applied in the song as well: don't put niggas in the same sink as me/I mean metaphors, storylines, deep shit, club shit, girl shit, world shit, they don't use the ink like me/niggas don't even think like me.

There's so much that can be quoted from this song. The part where he mentions all the rappers is probably one of the most classic rhymes in the past 5 years:

..more like '99/ no name should be mentioned but mine/
Unless you talkin' Big Pun in his prime/
Maybe '96 Jay before Dame was throwin' money around/
Or 2Pac without Humpty around/
Or 50 before Em', Nas talkin' like a gun in his song/
Cam'ron durin' Children of The Corn/
Beans before the cops came through and tried to grill 'em/
I'm talkin' '95 Big L before they killed 'em/
Em before 8 mile, Shyne before the jail shit/
Canibus--no album out before the L shit/
I'm talkin' about Kiss, DMX before he was fuckin' with coke/
Or Cuban Linx, Raekwon and Ghost/
I do it all who blended so well in the game/
Talkin' Fab back when he was still spellin' his name mayne/
On my Diddy shit, Memphis Grizzly shit/
Like back in the day when Clue swiped all of Biggie's shit/
Rappers don't need trouble with I/
Unless it's Ras Kass before the DWI/
Or Talib & Mos, Common before Be/
If they any less common don't put em before me/

Opinions?

ARon

For me it is, I listen to this song which seems to be daily, and when I play it people are still droppin there jaws askin who it is, i tell them and they are like the pump it up guy, haha, yeah thats him. Then of course tell em bout mood muzik bla hbalh, anyways.

One reocurring thought I keep havin is how much hate the snippet you posted would be gettin if Game dropped it, heh. Nevertheless, classic in my book.

linx

Staff member
Mannn, you don't even knoww. I'm a bigggg Budden fan.. so when I first first heard Dumb Out, I was damn near speechless. The song is fucking ridiculous. It became one of my favorite songs right away, that simple. When I listen to Dumb Out, you can bet im going along with it. :thumb:

Yea Dumb Out is the shit.. Especially early on when he says

Im somewhere between the real and the fakeness/
the red pill, blue pill, real or the matrix/

I didnt know what that line really meant till i saw the matrix again after i heard the song and remembered about the pills :thumb:

By the way does some1 have his diss towards Game? "Game Over"?

PuffnScruff

ive been listening to this song almost every day the past week.

but i dont know if i can take erics opinion serious because he thinks the new tupac song is dope

_carmi

me, myself & us
i'm gonna listen to the song. i like some of budden's stuff.

btw where is the new 2pac track? somenoe can pu it? can't see a link anywhere or a thread.

shinehigh

Shine High 4 Life
I love this joint, but it makes me sad ... the line about not dropping in 05 so he preparing for 06 ... Well 06 is almost over and we still ain't got that new budden :(

I'll be the first to say watch out for him in 07. But I also said this in 04, 05, and 06. So ya, "the growth" is now just going to be a mixtape if I'm not mistaken. I don't know anymore, hes nice, but career wise, he may want to take up a radio talk show or something.

its linx! said:
I actually wish it was longer. In a interview he said he has a track called "Chain smoking" for the Growth thats over 10 minutes.. So I guess it'll be like a "10 minutes pt. 2" or something..

Preach

Fataldawg said:
Yea Dumb Out is the shit.. Especially early on when he says

Im somewhere between the real and the fakeness/
the red pill, blue pill, real or the matrix/

I didnt know what that line really meant till i saw the matrix again after i heard the song and remembered about the pills :thumb:
i don't get that line at all.

so what, he's saying he's a little fake and a little real, right in between.. and he's saying this like i'm automatically supposed to accept this as real or good or okay?

so yeah, explain it to me.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.