Jim Jones Diary Of A Summer August 19th 2k5 Interview Speak Game, Dipset, Warner Musi

SOHH said:
Features:
Jim Jones: Dog Days Of Summer

As the summer season kicks into high gear, Dip Set general Jim Jones takes time to tell to SOHH.com why he's hotter than the sun in July. During our chat, Jones discusses his forthcoming Harlem: The Diary of A Summer album, his new position as Director of Black Music at Warner Music Group (WMG), the future of Diplomat Records and why he fucks with The Game. So, turn on the AC cause this boy is hot!

Since releasing On My Way To Church in August 2004, Jim Jones has expanded himself beyond his Diplomat boss and Harlem rapper image. His debut album gave a taste of the Dip Set capo's hunger for more with singles such as "Certified Gangsta" and "Crunk Musik". Now, on his follow-up Harlem: The Diary Of A Summer, Jones brings a more mature side of himself to the table. He goes through a metamorphosis as he takes a walk on the other side of the industry, as major label exec.

SOHH: Let's talk about your new position at WMG? How did that come about? Is that a job that you pursued or did it come to you?

Jim Jones: Kevin Liles has been watching me for years. As far as Diplomat Records, he respected all the work I put in and how we utilized the streets as our tool for success.

No, I ain't pursued nothing; he [Kevin Liles] asked me if I would take interest in a job like that. I said, "sh!t, why not?" I'd love to be on both sides of the game. The job was a great opportunity for me to learn both sides of the game as far as being a super executive and just being a person they gave a label deal to. Nah mean… these are the people that gave Murder Inc. their money, Roc-a-fella their money, us our money. So, imagine what type of money they're playing with.

SOHH: With your position at WMG, what exactly are you doing there?

Jim Jones: They just want me to find some hot sh!t. They're looking for the next Jay-Z, Ludacris-- they're looking for all the next hot artists. And they feel that with the way that I built the Diplomats, I would be a good person for the job.

SOHH: What type of side projects are you working on, what other ventures [at WMG]?

Jim Jones: I just executively produced my first outside album by an artist named Hot Wright. Lyor Cohen and Craig Kallan signed him to Atlantic Records and people was trying to push his record to the side and wasn't really doing what they needed to do. So, I took the initiative and went and did the sht fucking with my ni99a, nah mean. Built a good rapport with him, now I fuck with him. He's a real smart ni99a. He got a lot of heart and now he got a good album too.

SOHH: Puff (Sean "P.Diddy" Combs) just sold half of Bad Boy Records to WMG? Will you have any dealings with him?

Jim Jones: Nah, Puff is in his mode. Puff got his sh!t premeditated. Nobody deals with Puff but Puff. I steal some of Puff's moves, I'm watching him. The boy's a genius. You feel me.

SOHH: How does the new position at WMG affect your position with Diplomat Records?What's your objective now with Diplomat Records?

Jim Jones: It doesn't affect it at all. I'm the co-CEO of Diplomat Records, my partner is Cam'Ron. This just helps us. Our objective is to sell a lot of records so that everybody can be comfortable in living; families and everything included.

SOHH: Are there any new acts that you're looking into signing?
Jim Jones: I got a new artist; my dude's name is Max B. He's incredible, Rambo from the hood. [He's] fresh home from doing a seven-year bid, but he's up there. I put him up there with the elite. I really respect his work. If he didn't get a chance to come and fuck with me in the midst of me doing my album, I probably wouldn't have as good of an album because he brought a lot of good energy to me. So, it was cool.

SOHH: What about Jha' Jha? I see you guys are messing with Jha' Jha and she's got some heat from MIA. How did ya'll hook up with her?

Jim Jones: Jha' Jha, she's one of the most incredible artists that I know. Female or male, she just knows music. Jha' Jha just came to the record label one day, she just showed up talking about she rap. So, ni99as just put her on the spot and she showed and proved right there on the spot. I really believe in her sound and in her music. I follow her lead; she gave me one of the singles on my album called "What You Been Drinkin On" and Puffy just jumped on the record. So that goes to show you what type of song she gave me.

SOHH: What's going on with the JR Writer and Hell Rell's projects?

Jim Jones: We're in the midst of wrapping up both of their albums. There album will most likely come out in the beginning of '06. 'Cause my album comes out in August, Juelz's comes out at the end of September and probably Cam will just come out for Christmas-- so we can swoop all that money up.

SOHH: What are you doing as far as your new music? Any collabos on the new album?

Jim Jones: My new album is called Harlem: Diary of a Summer slated for August 9th . My single "Baby Girl" is out now. I got Puffy on my second single; it's called "What You Been Drinkin On". I got Paul Wall, nah mean. I'm just going hard. I got Trey Songz on there.

SOHH said:
SOHH: How did you hook up with him?

Jim Jones: We were in the Bahamas for this radio convention dealing with all the DJs and showcases. I saw his showcase and he had a lot of swagger and sh!t like that. I was like, 'Damn that young ni99a got a lot of sh!t with him. I wanna do a song with him for my album'. I sent him the song and he sent it back and that sh!t was fire.

SOHH: What producers did you work with on this album?

Jim Jones: I got Paul Wall, the whole Dip Set, Denise Weeks and some producers. I ain't got too many people on there, but I got a lot of sh!t on there. The production on the album, I got Yogi, Hannen, Tuneheadz. Me and my man Duke Da God did a track together and a couple of new producers.

SOHH: In what ways have you stepped up this album?

Jim Jones: The last album I was talking about everything I've been through in life up until thus far-- as far as just getting in the game. This album, sh!t is different. Life has become a little more comfortable financially; just being able to live. It's still hard as hell dealing with life from a day to day basis, just dealing with ni99as, nah mean. [They] got me living like I'm selling drugs. I'm watching my ass 24/7-- paranoid. I feel like a goldfish in a fish tank.

SOHH: What's your feelings being that your on Koch, Cam's on Asylum/ Warner Bros. and Juelz is still on Def Jam?

Jim Jones: We're all getting money. That's all Diplomat Records, whether it's Koch, Asylum, Def Jam or Jive. I don't give a fuck what it is, it says Diplomat Records first and that's all our money.
SOHH: What's your relationship with the new Dame Dash Music Group or Roc-a-fella Records?

Jim Jones: My relationship with Dame-- I fucks with Dame. Dame's like a big brother to me.

SOHH: Got a question about the "Purple City Bird Gang" cause the name comes from an East Harlem drug gang, but the group is from the Westside of Harlem. Was ever any tension or ill feelings between the younger cats in Purple City Byrd Gang and the older cats from the Eastside?

Jim Jones: Nah, that's some old school sh!t. That's some real old school Eastside sh!t. The Purple City sh!t been gone for over ten years, some Boricua ni99as getting a lot of money and running around in 10-20 purple cars and sh!t like that. We smoke on that purple, so that's the purple we talking about.

SOHH: What was for you it like coming up in Taft Projects and getting from that point to the point where you are now?

Jim Jones: The projects is 'a hood within the hood. There's different sh!t going on in the projects then just coming up in Harlem and being in the hood. If you can just live past 25 in my projects then you made a big accomplishment in life. 'Cause still, recently kids are dying and killing each other.

SOHH: What's the whole movement with the Purple City Byrd Gang, Hell Rell, all of the things and different crews that you [Dip Set] are affiliated with?

Jim Jones: Diplomat Records is the top of the top. It don't go no further than that. Everything we do is subsidiaries of what we trying to do. PurpleCity are brothers that fall under Diplomats. My man Duke Da God just started to do production. Juelz's doing his thing. I'm in the midst of doing a Byrd Gang deal, and Cam's doing him. We're all just trying to generate as much money as possible. That's why we call it a movement. It's a livelihood, we create job opportunities, and we feed people, put roofs over heads; all that's included in what we're doing.

SOHH: Do you see yourself ever leaving rapping alone, not necessarily Hip-Hop, but as an artist?

Jim Jones: I'm not going to be rapping like this [forever]. My 30th birthday is my last year doing this rap sh!t. You can count me out in a couple more years. Ya'll better enjoy me while you can cause I got other sh!t to do.

SOHH: What do you plan to do with your remaining time in the game? How do you plan on stepping your game up? What do you plan to do to take your skills up to the next level artistically?

Jim Jones: I'm trying to do that now. Hopefully, this album now will show people how I stepped up as far as doing music, how I've matured. I should get a lot of different reviews this time, a lot of mixed feelings.

SOHH: You have a really tight relationship with Koch, why are you such an advocate of the independent way of doing it on your own?

Jim Jones: I wasn't at first, I tried to get a major deal, they just sh!tted on me. I knew in my heart that I deserve to be out there and Alan [Grunblatt] was that ni99a that gave me the opportunity to. Whether he felt I could do it or not, he took that risk. So to him, I feel like I owe him something for taking that risk. So, I ride with him, that's why I fuck with him.

SOHH: How did you end up getting Game on the track, "Certified Gangsta"? How did you guys form such a tight relationship?
SOHH said:
Jim Jones: I reached out to him. The homies was like you gotta get the homie Game on your sh!t to spit some hard sh!t like a couple of years back. I wasn't too familiar with him; and I reached out to him and the feeling was mutual. I love West Coast music; it's some of the best music I listen to. I grew up on that music.

SOHH: How did you feel about 50 Cent's reaction or comments about not wanting Game to appear on an independent track? Did you have to put in a request to get Game?

Jim Jones: I don't give a fuck about what them ni99as feel. That's like crying over spilled milk; that sh!t's done. You smell me? Nah, that's my homie, what the fuck I gotta put in a request for? I get my money, baby.

SOHH: What are some other side projects you're working on?

Jim Jones: Shout out to Tracy Christian. I can't really speak on it now, but you'll see me up on that big screen soon. Music-wise, the sky's the limit. I got all access at my fingertips.

SOHH: Who would you want to work with that you haven't yet?

Jim Jones: Tupac and Biggie.

SOHH: So you're producing now, do you produce other peoples' album too?

Jim Jones: Nah, I produced two tracks on this album and a couple of on my last. I don't really produce on other peoples' album. I make beats a little bit different. I mean, if a ni99a gonna to listen to what I tell him then maybe.

SOHH: Touch on Jim Jones "the rapper" vs. Jim Jones "the business man."

Jim Jones: They all one person. Jim Jones "the hustler." Superman was Clark Kent, but, sh!t, he was all one person. Batman was Bruce Wayne but sh!t he was all one person.

SOHH: What's the title of your new album mean?

Jim Jones: August 9th - Harlem: The Diary of A Summer. It's the hottest time of the year and what goes on in the summer stays in the summer!

http://www.sohh.com/thecore/read.php?contentID=7248

definetely gonna be a good cd........ wasnt really feelin him at one time but his newer shit shows hes stepped his game up :thumb:

Jim Jones Diary Of A Summer August 19th 2k5 Interview Speak Game, Dipset, Warner

HellRazor05 said:
How can he say Game is his homie when he dissed him on "Baby Girl"?

THAT WASN'T A DISS, IF IT WAS:IT WAS WEAK THEN. THESE N**GAZ BEEFIN, THEN THEY KISS AND MAKE UP. THATS LIKE A CHEAP SHOT, I DON'T EVEN CONSIDER THAT A CHEAP SHOT. A WEAK JAB.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.