Jim Jones and Bay Area rappers state the importance of education

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Rapper Jim Jones has joined forces with Entertainers 4 Education Alliance (E4EA) to present the Achieve Your Dreams Poetry Contest, which aims to convince at-risk kids in New York City to graduate from high school.

Scheduled for Jan. 24 at the Magic Johnson Theater in Harlem, six finalists will be chosen to recite their poems to the artist regarding the importance of realizing dreams. The winner will receive a stipend to cover the purchase of books during their freshman year of college and a summer internship with Jones.

"I am very excited about this event; we received hundreds of poem submissions from students from around the city and narrowed it down to the finalists," Jones said. "I just want students to know that they can be anything they want to be if they believe they can. I am happy that I can make a difference."

Busta Rhymes, Dr. Benjamin Chavis, Russell Simmons, Fredro Starr and Remy Ma are among the artists scheduled to attend the event.

Meanwhile, Bay area rappers Keak Da Sneak, Mistah Fab, Federation and Jacka are among a group of artists appearing on a new charity single to raise money for eight local schools.

The collective – also including Erase E, Mugzi, Hoodstarz and Mac N AK – is known as the Bay Area Rappers Care (B.A.R.C.) coalition. Together, their single “Stay in School” hopes to raise money for books, educational materials and canceled programs in the area.

"I now have kids myself and even as a teacher, I see the problem first hand," said rapper Kontac, who is also a teacher in East Palo Alto. "With the help of these concerned rappers and this music, we can set new goals and once again be optimistic about our educational goals."

:thumb: well done Jim Jones

i like him, always cracks me up 'im so fly i go to the shop just in my drawers and socks man and cop a whole new outfit.. true story.. ask about me'

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.