Jay-z Thread

I listen to a wide range of rap artists but one rapper that I have really never givin a chance to would be Jay-Z. So I was thinking about finally listening to some of his albums, so would the Jay-Z fans give me a hand by mentioning his good albums( tha ones I should listen too) and the albums of his which I should stay away from. And if you think Jay-Z is not worth listening to, state why you think so with valid reasons.

Listen to Reasonable Doubt first. It's his debut album and the perfect introduction to him. Lyrics: Mafioso, NY gangster content. Heavy on wordplay and similes/metaphors. Beats: Vintage NY production.

Then listen to his second album In My Lifetime, Vol. 1. Not quite as good as his debut but still his second best album altogether. Slightly more mainstream production, and not quite as much wordplay.

The Blueprint is his third best album. More concept songs and less mafioso lyrics. Soulful production provided by Kanye and Just Blaze.

He really doesn't have any TERRIBLE albums. Volume 2 is the only one i'd say isn't at least 'good'. Ideally, you wanna get all 8 official albums and listen to 'em in order.

roaches

His weakest solo album is Vol. 2. But that album's full of some of his most popular songs ("Hard Knock Life", "Can I Get A...", "Money Ain't a Thang", "Money, Cash, Hoes"), and two of his best songs period - "A Week Ago" and "Reservoir Dogs", so you may want to peep it. If you don't want to hear the whole thing, just grab "A Week Ago" and "Reservoir Dogs" and you're straight. "Nigga What, Nigga Who" is also dope.

Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint are considered his best albums, so just go ahead and listen to them through.

In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 is his most schizophrenic album - some straight-up pandering to popular tastes, and then some good old shit. "Imaginary Player" is one of his best songs, as is "You Must Love Me." "Where I'm From" is a pretty tough track (and a source of hilarity in Fade to Black, if you've seen that). "Friend or Foe '98" and "Streets Is Watching" are also quite dope, as is "A Million and One Questions" (also peep the extended version of this).

Vol. 3: "So Ghetto" is the last time you'll hear Jay-Z and Premier together. "Dopeman" is another one of those allegorical "hey, rapping is like a criminal enterprise" joints. "It's Hot" is dope, but more relevant in retrospect because he disses 50 Cent on it. "Snoopy Track" has Juvenile on it (peep Juvenile's "Ha" remix for one of Jay-Z's worst performances). "Pop 4 Roc" is a pretty good posse cut, Sigel shines on it. "Big Pimpin", well, you know. "There's Been a Murder" is pretty tough. "Come and Get Me" is a personal favorite of mine.

Dynasty is pretty unfairly maligned. The intro is pure fire, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. "This Can't Be Life" is another one of my favorite Jay-Z songs ever. "Soon You'll Understand", "Squeeze 1st", "Stick 2 the Script", and "Where Have You Been" (this song is chilling) are the other highlights of this album, besides the singles. Oh, "You, Me, Him, Her" is a lot better live than it is on the album.

Blueprint 2... hrm. "A Dream" is kinda corny but cool, he rips "Hovi Baby", he and Rakim both come off pretty nice on "The Watcher 2" (beat sucks, tho). "What They Gonna Do" is wack. I personally am a fan of "All Around the World". Twista steals the show on "Poppin' Tags". "The Bounce" is pretty good. The second disc is much better. "Diamond Is Forever", "Guns & Roses", "U Don't Know (Remix)", "Meet the Parents" - he rips all of these. "Some How Some Way" is dope, but kinda zzz-inducing. "Some People Hate" is one of Kanye West's more slept-on beats. "Blueprint2" has a nice beat and a wack hook. "Nigga Please" is the best Neptunes beat on the album. "A Ballad for the Fallen Soldier" is also kinda sleepy. Of the bonus cuts, I only like "Bitches and Sisters" ("La La La" on Blueprint 2.1 is also dope).

The Black Album: There are a few wack beats on the album, but Jay-Z doesn't do anything wack on here, except for the chorus of the last song.

Dope non-album joints:
"In My Lifetime" and its remix
The original "Dead Presidents"
Jaz's "Originators"
Big L's "Da Graveyard"
The various flows on the S. Carter Collection mixtape
That remix with Mya
"People Talkin", a bonus cut on his live album
"Ignorant Shit"
"20 Bag Shorty"
"Anything"
"People's Court"
Extended version of "Big Pimpin"
"Hey Papi"
"Jigga My Nigga"
Beanie Sigel's "Still Got Love for You"
That long-ass Big L freestyle
Mary J Blige's "Love and Life"
dead prez's "Hell Yeah" remix
Freeway's "What We Do"
Talib Kweli's "Get By" remix
"Dear Summer"
Memphis Bleek's "Is That Yo Chick"
M.O.P.'s "4 Alarm Blaze", "Put it in the Air"
Outkast's "Flip Flop Rock"
That Punjabi MC joint
"Young Gs" off Puffy's first album
Biggie's "I Love the Dough"
Scarface's "Guess Who's Back"
That Slim Thug joint

Although I'm a big Jay-Z fan, I'm not about to go into all the detail that the above two did.. for the most part I agree with their suggestions. Roaches actually did a superb job in naming his best non-album cuts.

IMO, just listen to Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, and The Black Album. Those are his most complete albums.

Yoo much props to aloivas and especially roaches :thumb: Gave me some extremly detailed info on Jay-Z's discography, much appreciated :thumb:

linx

Staff member
They did a good job, so I won't go on. All i'll say is.. for the non-album joints, you GOTTA add "Early This Morning".

eh blueprint is okay... too much fillers in my opinion. If you're looking for one jay-z album to buy, then it's definitely Reasonable Doubt, that's a classic

tHuG $TyLe

Staff member
Yep Roaches just summed it all up.

Blueprint 2 is a good album, it got slated as a shit album, but it was a decent 2 disc effort.

^^^ I disagree

Blueprint 2 is definitely Jay's worst album. As far as double disc efforts go, it ranks way below All Eyez On Me, Life After Death, Street's Disciple, and Wu-Tang Forever.

It was so wack that Jigga even put out Blueprint 2.1, combining the best tracks off the two CD's into one disc with a few bonus cuts.

roaches said:
"Where I'm From" is a pretty tough track (and a source of hilarity in Fade to Black, if you've seen that).

The Black Album: There are a few wack beats on the album, but Jay-Z doesn't do anything wack on here, except for the chorus of the last song.
Are you talking about the bit where he goes "Biggie, Jay-Z or.......", the crowd finishes it for him & he goes, "nah"?

I thought The Black Album was solid all through. Which beats were 'wack' in your opinion?

Also, seeing as you've seen Fade To Black, do you know if he ever used that verse that he's spitting in Rick Rubin's studio that goes,
"I got so much troubles on my mind, refuse to lose
My nephews need new shoes, but they chew food like it's going out of style so blaow"?

roaches

Are you talking about the bit where he goes "Biggie, Jay-Z or.......", the crowd finishes it for him & he goes, "nah"?
Yeah. I guffawed pretty hard there.

I thought The Black Album was solid all through. Which beats were 'wack' in your opinion?
"Change Clothes" = "Excuse Me Miss With a Vengeance".
"Moment of Clarity" = an Eminem beat.
"Justify My Thug" = I felt embarrassed for Quik. The electro thing was a good idea, but it failed spectacularly.

I also don't like "My First Song" at all, now that I think about it. The album should've ended after "Allure', that's a perfect closer.

Also, seeing as you've seen Fade To Black, do you know if he ever used that verse that he's spitting in Rick Rubin's studio that goes,
The song's called "Pop the/that Burner". The snippet from the movie's been on a couple of mixtapes, and he said in an interview that he wanted to include it on a bonus disc with the movie, but I guess it didn't come out.

That shit was fire, though. The beat > the beat to "99 Problems"

roaches said:
Yeah. I guffawed pretty hard there.
Yeah, & the reaction from the crowd was pretty good too, half laughing, half shocked (why I don't know).

roaches said:
"Change Clothes" = "Excuse Me Miss With a Vengeance".
"Moment of Clarity" = an Eminem beat.
"Justify My Thug" = I felt embarrassed for Quik. The electro thing was a good idea, but it failed spectacularly.

I also don't like "My First Song" at all, now that I think about it. The album should've ended after "Allure', that's a perfect closer.
I thought Change Clothes was a pretty nice beat. Similar to Excuse Me Miss but a little quicker with a little extra pizazz. And although I prefer to hear "rip the beat Jay" I don't mind listening to "playful Jay".

I agree Moment Of Clarity was a mediocre beat & that kind of plodding beat doesn't compliment Jay at all, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it 'wack'.

Again, I quite liked Justify My Thug & in no way would I call the beat 'wack'. Maybe if I just listened to the instrumental it would be different though......

You don't like My First Song? Well, I like the beat but more than that, I feel Jay's flow.

roaches said:
The song's called "Pop the/that Burner". The snippet from the movie's been on a couple of mixtapes, and he said in an interview that he wanted to include it on a bonus disc with the movie, but I guess it didn't come out.

That shit was fire, though. The beat > the beat to "99 Problems"
He's got to release that at some point because it was ridiculous. I was going to mention the beat as well, but I figured someone else would've taken it if it didn't make Jay's album - guess not. It's a sick beat though & Jay flows over it beautifully. I dunno if I'd consider the beat better than the 99 Problems beat (I'd liked to hear it at full length, intro & all) but I'd really love to see it released - with Jay's rhymes of course.

If You Listen To Reasonable Doubt One Word Of Advice Listen To It. Dont Just Play It Listen To It. Im Listening To Dead Presidents And Im Actually Hearing New Shit. There Is A Story In That Song And In Most Of Them. Favorite Line In The Whole Album Is The 22 Two's Something Like "look In His Casket/ Feelin Sarcastic/ Look At Him/ Still Sleepin" I Probably Fucked Up The Line But Its Some Shit Like That. Best Coded Album Ive Ever Heard!

AmerikazMost

The only two Jay-Z albums I bought were Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint, both classics.

But if you want pop, go with Vol. 2 Hard Knock Life.

The Black Album has it's moments, but you're better off just downloading some of the highlights.

Vol. 3, the Life and times of S. Carter is alright. Just like the Black Album, but not as good, in that it has some moments, but not worth the $$.

Ditto to Roc La Familia

roaches said:
His weakest solo album is Vol. 2. But that album's full of some of his most popular songs ("Hard Knock Life", "Can I Get A...", "Money Ain't a Thang", "Money, Cash, Hoes"), and two of his best songs period - "A Week Ago" and "Reservoir Dogs", so you may want to peep it. If you don't want to hear the whole thing, just grab "A Week Ago" and "Reservoir Dogs" and you're straight. "Nigga What, Nigga Who" is also dope.

Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint are considered his best albums, so just go ahead and listen to them through.

In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 is his most schizophrenic album - some straight-up pandering to popular tastes, and then some good old shit. "Imaginary Player" is one of his best songs, as is "You Must Love Me." "Where I'm From" is a pretty tough track (and a source of hilarity in Fade to Black, if you've seen that). "Friend or Foe '98" and "Streets Is Watching" are also quite dope, as is "A Million and One Questions" (also peep the extended version of this).

Vol. 3: "So Ghetto" is the last time you'll hear Jay-Z and Premier together. "Dopeman" is another one of those allegorical "hey, rapping is like a criminal enterprise" joints. "It's Hot" is dope, but more relevant in retrospect because he disses 50 Cent on it. "Snoopy Track" has Juvenile on it (peep Juvenile's "Ha" remix for one of Jay-Z's worst performances). "Pop 4 Roc" is a pretty good posse cut, Sigel shines on it. "Big Pimpin", well, you know. "There's Been a Murder" is pretty tough. "Come and Get Me" is a personal favorite of mine.

Dynasty is pretty unfairly maligned. The intro is pure fire, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. "This Can't Be Life" is another one of my favorite Jay-Z songs ever. "Soon You'll Understand", "Squeeze 1st", "Stick 2 the Script", and "Where Have You Been" (this song is chilling) are the other highlights of this album, besides the singles. Oh, "You, Me, Him, Her" is a lot better live than it is on the album.

Blueprint 2... hrm. "A Dream" is kinda corny but cool, he rips "Hovi Baby", he and Rakim both come off pretty nice on "The Watcher 2" (beat sucks, tho). "What They Gonna Do" is wack. I personally am a fan of "All Around the World". Twista steals the show on "Poppin' Tags". "The Bounce" is pretty good. The second disc is much better. "Diamond Is Forever", "Guns & Roses", "U Don't Know (Remix)", "Meet the Parents" - he rips all of these. "Some How Some Way" is dope, but kinda zzz-inducing. "Some People Hate" is one of Kanye West's more slept-on beats. "Blueprint2" has a nice beat and a wack hook. "Nigga Please" is the best Neptunes beat on the album. "A Ballad for the Fallen Soldier" is also kinda sleepy. Of the bonus cuts, I only like "Bitches and Sisters" ("La La La" on Blueprint 2.1 is also dope).

Dope non-album joints:
"In My Lifetime" and its remix
The original "Dead Presidents"
Jaz's "Originators"
Big L's "Da Graveyard"
The various flows on the S. Carter Collection mixtape
That remix with Mya
"People Talkin", a bonus cut on his live album
"Ignorant Shit"
"20 Bag Shorty"
"Anything"
"People's Court"
Extended version of "Big Pimpin"
"Hey Papi"
"Jigga My Nigga"
Beanie Sigel's "Still Got Love for You"
That long-ass Big L freestyle
Mary J Blige's "Love and Life"
dead prez's "Hell Yeah" remix
Freeway's "What We Do"
Talib Kweli's "Get By" remix
"Dear Summer"
Memphis Bleek's "Is That Yo Chick"
M.O.P.'s "4 Alarm Blaze", "Put it in the Air"
Outkast's "Flip Flop Rock"
That Punjabi MC joint
"Young Gs" off Puffy's first album
Biggie's "I Love the Dough"
Scarface's "Guess Who's Back"
That Slim Thug joint

Like dude what the hell are you talking about? Hard Knock Life. Vol.2 is Jay-z's 3rd best album in line coming next to Reasonable Doubt & The Blueprint. In fact, it was Vol.3 that rose Jay-z to the public eye and gained him love. This album was probably one of the hottest albums of 1998. In fact every joint on that album could've been a single. Hard Knock Life. Vol.2 crossed over to the mainstream, but at the same time was still street and stuck to hip hop, while at the same time being great for radio. You've got to be SUPER NUTS TO SAY THAT WAS JAY-Z's weakest album.

Jay-Z's weakest albums IMO-IN MY LIFETIME Vol. 1. Jay-Z even admitted it that it was his weakest. And its true that album took off no where.
BLUEPRINT 2-Was a weak album. Jay-Z admitted that on the radio that it wasn't as great as it could've been or wanted it to be. He sampled Me & My Girlfriend-But the worst was it was a weak song and a low point in his career. Probably one of the weakest double albums in hip hop history.
BLACK ALBUM-The Black album was NOT A CLASSIC. People go out there way to make this seem as one of the best albums Jay-Z ever made, but the whole album was nothing but radio/commercial bulls**T. Just because it was his so called last album, doesn't make it the best and infact I was dissappointed that I purchased it with my money. I expected another Reasonable Doubt or Blueprint 1, but Jay-Z dissappointed. If radio djs never had this album in rotation over and over, people wouldn't be hailing this as great. This album got as much radioplay as "Get Rich Or Die Tryin", but just like that album, Black album isn't great. In fact, it was weak. SO OVERATED. I dare someone to put this album over "Thug Life" LP. Now THUG LIFE is a CLASSIC. BLACK ALBUM=NOT

THE DYNASTY: ROC LA FAMILIA 2000- The Dynasty was something I didn't really like when I first got it, but as time went on and I started listening to it, it grew on me. This is an album that if you don't like right away, it could grow on you. I think this album is better than the "Black Album" by far.
Volume 3: THE LIFE & TIMES OF S. CARTER- This album was alright. It was okay. It had some good joints, while at the same tight it had some OKAY songs. For now, I can't really remember any corny songs on it, but this album seemed more pop and or radio targeted.

When you think about it Jay-Z only had 3 classic albums, Nothing about his other albums don't really stand out. He's not as great as everyone is making him out to be, but now that he's retired everyone wants to love him. But he is definitely a top 5 rapper and is a great lyricist. Have fun listening to him.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.