Jay-Z Speaks on Cam'ron, Nas signing

XIAN

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1521548/20060124/jay_z.jhtml?headlines=true

The two biggest questions rap fans want answered right now are: What does Jay-Z think about Cam'ron coming at him on wax? And now that Nas is on Def Jam, how do God's Son and Hova plan to smash the rap game?

First things first — Cam is holding a press conference Wednesday (January 25) in New York to discuss what the streets are calling his "beef" with Hova. As for Killa Cam's "You Got It" dis record (see "Cam'ron Attacks Jay-Z With Dis Track 'You Got It' "), Jay said he's not sure he'll respond with his own dis record. Jigga said he's never had any problems with Cam, though he admits the two never bonded while Cam was on Roc-A-Fella.

"My thing is, it's such an obvious ploy for attention and to get people to talk about it and for [Cam to] sell albums," Jay said Tuesday, speaking to MTV News from a company retreat.

Even though Jay says he knows Cam's master plan, he's conflicted. On one hand he feels he's too big to stoop to Cam's level, but on the other hand, the MC in him is itching to retort with battle raps.

"I'm torn," he admitted. "I feel like I would be stupid to even pay that any attention, because it's such a ploy. ... N---as is holding press conferences behind [the dis record]. The MC in me is like, 'That's too easy [to come back at him.]' That's not even a good dis record. That
sh-- is trash. I'm torn. We'll see what happens. Maybe on my time we'll deal with it, but I'm not really pressed. I'm inspired by good artistic sh--. Cam's sh-- is not artistic. There's nothing good about it. Everything about it is an obvious ploy to get attention. Nobody wants to get used. You're just using me. Of course he had to go that far."

One of the brow-raisers in Cam's song comes at the beginning, when he says part of his disdain for Hov came about because Jay had wronged former partner Dame Dash in their business dealings. Speaking to New York radio station WQHT-FM, Cam also said Dame had tipped him off that Jay would be coming at him during last year's "I Declare War" concert (the show turned out to be all about peace; see "Jay-Z And Nas Put Beef To Sleep In Onstage Show Of Unity").

Jay called Dame's involvement in the equation "shocking" and said he hasn't spoken with his once close friend about Cam and has no plans to. "To be honest with you, that's the most surprising thing," Jay said calmly. "I'm still in shock, to be honest with you."

No one was really surprised this week when it was announced that Nas had signed to Def Jam (see "Nas Signs With Jay-Z, According To Report"). The two had been in talks for a while and performed two nights of shows in October. Hov said there probably will not be a Jay and Nas album, but he does expect to do at least a song with Nas.

"I'm guessing like September, fall, so we can do it right," Jay said of when he expects Nas' LP to drop. Nas has been recording material for months, but Hov thinks he'll start fresh with his new deal in place. "I didn't hear the stuff he did before, but I'm guessing it'll be a new slate."

Jay added that he hopes Nas will connect with some of the best producers in the game, such as Kanye West, DJ Premier, Just Blaze, Dr. Dre, Timbaland and Pharrell Williams, though he hasn't ruled out Nas teaming with some up-and-coming beatmakers. He said his former rival is in such a great headspace, he wouldn't be surprised if Nas made the best album of career.

"[I'm proud to have him on Def Jam] for so many different levels," he said. "One, he's been at the forefront of hip-hop since he's been out. [Illmatic] is arguably one of the best albums ever made. To have that down with the team, it's just a beautiful thing. Two, it says so much about the culture. It shows another way. [The media] always portrays us like we're ignorant. It shows another ending. I think it's bigger for the culture."

While the Nas album isn't due for several months, Jay is so excited about the albums coming out on Def Jam this year — including Ghostface Killah and LL Cool J — he contemplated dropping an album himself, but he's since rethought it and will continue to play the executive role.

And it's a part he's been playing to the fullest. Jay's team is on the brink of adding one or two more major players, but it's too early to name names, he said.

— Shaheem Reid

I feel sorry for Cam, everyone knows his ability and he's just making it worse for himself. How is going at one of the game's biggest names (of all time) going to boost his sales? Look what happened to Ja for goin at aftermath.
Can't wait for the next Nas Primo beat.

"I'm torn," he admitted. "I feel like I would be stupid to even pay that any attention, because it's such a ploy. ... N---as is holding press conferences behind [the dis record]. The MC in me is like, 'That's too easy [to come back at him.]' That's not even a good dis record. That
sh-- is trash. I'm torn. We'll see what happens. Maybe on my time we'll deal with it, but I'm not really pressed. I'm inspired by good artistic sh--. Cam's sh-- is not artistic. There's nothing good about it. Everything about it is an obvious ploy to get attention. Nobody wants to get used. You're just using me. Of course he had to go that far."

that should stop anybody from being like "Cam's better then Jay-Z" I'm ashamed that people are even saying that shit on the board, I thought our level of Hip-hop IQ was higher then that

interesting from hiphopdx.com...

The Real Reason Cam Dissed Jay-Z
Wednesday - January 25, 2006
Brian Sims

By now we’ve all heard the diss track released by Cam’ron last week focusing in on none other than President Carter himself. From all accounts, the hip hop world was shocked, momentarily stunned into silence.

But not all of us. Some of us saw this coming. There’s a conspiracy theory out there among industry insiders, and it goes like this…

Weeks ago, on the eve of Jay-Z’s highly anticipated I Declare War concert, public speculation was that he planned to “air-out” Cam and the Dip Set collective. We all held our breath, like hyenas waiting for the lion to kill so that we could feast on the remains. But it was not to be, as the self-proclaimed J-Hova of the microphone pulled yet another miracle out of his robe by settling arguably the most celebrated beef in rap history by embracing Nas, an event which jolted and confused the rap universe.

But for the origins of the Cam’s problems with Jay-Z, we need turn the clock all the way back to the early 90s. A young Cam’ron was introduced to Lance “Un” Rivera by none other than The Notorious B.I.G., who was working with Rivera at the time. Cam’s first solo album would come out on Untertainment, which went unter-ground in ’99, the same year that Jay-Z allegedly stabbed Rivera in a nightclub altercation (Jay-Z would later be formally sentenced to three years' probation for the attack).

Hmm…

Cam then moved on to Sony, where he released 2000’s S.D.E only to make headlines for his reported hostility with Tommy Mottola and exit from the label. In 2001 he officially left Sony and joined Roc-A-Fella Records. The Roc, at the time, was still under the control of the Holy Trinity of Hip Hop (J-A-Y, Dash, Hoffa), and was all set to release Jay’s 6th album, The Blueprint, which dropped Sept. 11.

Cam’s subsequent album, 2002’s Come Home With Me (Oh Boy, Hey Ma) was his biggest to date, and was eventually certified platinum. This album paved the way for the introduction of the Dip Set movement, and Cam and crew were living large. Dame Dash (a childhood friend of Cam’ron), even went as far as to propose naming Cam'ron Vice President of Roc-a-fella, but there was internal opposition at the label.

Translation: Jay said no.

Many people credit point to this as the beginning of the Roc-A-Fella break-up. Amid media hype, rumors, and statements issued by both sides, Dame and Jay went their separate ways.

Translation: Dame left and Jay-Z became President Carter.

What does this have to do with Cam?

First, consider the fact that he and Jay have never been buddies. It was widely reported that Cam met with L.A. Reid, then head of Island Def Jam, to put terms in his contract stating that Jay-Z had no control over his projects at Def Jam. According to Cam, this was not because of bad blood between the two, just a lack of a personal relationship.

Fast forward to December 2004, when LA Reid, granted Cam’ron (now the Diplomat Records CEO) a release from his contract, even though he still contractually owed Def Jam three more albums.

Translation: Dame bounced, and took Cam with him.

And that brings us to 2006. Fresh off his peace-keeping mission with Nas, Jay-Z gets blindsided by a vicious rant from Cam’ron, trashing everything from Jay’s age, to his fashion, to Beyonce. The seven-minute track starts out with Cam listing 5 reasons why he’s attacking Jay, which include claims that Jay-Z stole the Roc-A-Fella (Kanye) and Rocawear empires from Dame and that Jay might be responsible for his recent attempted murder.

So, according to Cam’ron, this verbal attack is a reaction to Jay-Z’s: 1) problems with Dame and 2) involvement in Cam’s attempted murder.

Translation: Look, Dame is making me do this shit, I had to come up with something.

The word is that before his exit, Dame worked out some sort of agreement allowing for Cam to also be released from Def Jam. Cam is now simply repaying that favor by dissing Jay at a time when he couldn’t possibly respond. It’s brilliant.

Translation: Damon Dash truly is the ultimate hustler.

After all, if Cam’ron had a major problem with Jay-Z, wouldn’t he have said something about it before now? Why now? Damon Dash, that’s why. Damon Dash has got to be salty from the split. After all, he got robbed. And recall, Jay-Z has said his peace on the matter, most notably on the Diamond’s Are Forever Remix with Kanye West.

The Chain remains, the gang is intact/ The name is mine, I’ll take blame for that…
I’m not a businessman, I’m a business, man/ Let me handle my business, damn.

But Dame doesn’t have a voice. So, if you’re Damon Dash, and you wanted to take a shot at Jay, what would you do?

You’d get Cam’ron, (the only dude arrogant enough to think that he’s got a shot at turning the tables on Jay-Z) to diss him. After all, he’s perfect for the job. For starters, he doesn’t like Jay-Z anymore than you do. And he owes you big. Not to mention the fact that he’s no stranger to controversy with other rappers. Plus, (and here’s the kicker) he’s got an album due out on his new label, Asylum.

As far as the word from Def Jam, an official spokesperson told me "Obviously, Cam'ron has a new album coming soon."

And there you have it. For all of the attention that this diss track has generated, it appears to be nothing more than fallout from the Roc split and publicity for Cam’s upcoming album. Evidence can be seen in the fact that not one single person associated with the Diplomats has publicly commented on the issue (I’ve even heard that there’s been a high-level gag-order placed on Dip affiliates.)

Translation: Don’t let the smooth taste fool you.

So, I’ll ask the obvious question: “Will Jay-Z respond?” A source close to the Roc guaranteed me that he will not. However, Jay-Z is planning a live, on-line chat with registered fans at Rocafella.com, scheduled for February 15th, 2006 (5pm EST).

One has to believe that he’ll have something to say.
yep.

ok now the thing i dont get is cam'rons "boy" Juelz Santana is a Def Jam Representative and gettin close with Jay so does that mean while the dips were on the Roc that juelz n jay were cool but cam wasnt?

guess we can pretty much kiss the Primo/Nas collabo bye bye too at least for an entire LP. Forget the neptunes better make good with Pete Rock.

"I'm guessing like September, fall, so we can do it right," Jay said of when he expects Nas' LP to drop. Nas has been recording material for months, but Hov thinks he'll start fresh with his new deal in place. "I didn't hear the stuff he did before, but I'm guessing it'll be a new slate."
Jay added that he hopes Nas will connect with some of the best producers in the game, such as Kanye West, DJ Premier, Just Blaze, Dr. Dre, Timbaland and Pharrell Williams, though he hasn't ruled out Nas teaming with some up-and-coming beatmakers. He said his former rival is in such a great headspace, he wouldn't be surprised if Nas made the best album of career.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Four Bars said:
I feel sorry for Cam, everyone knows his ability and he's just making it worse for himself. How is going at one of the game's biggest names (of all time) going to boost his sales? Look what happened to Ja for goin at aftermath.
Can't wait for the next Nas Primo beat.
Cam has loyal fans, it's not going to be like Ja Rule. If Killa Season flops, it's cause the album is too wack, not because of whatever else. I heard the advance and it was mediocre.

S O F I S T I K said:
Cam has loyal fans, it's not going to be like Ja Rule. If Killa Season flops, it's cause the album is too wack, not because of whatever else. I heard the advance and it was mediocre.

they stuck by him even when he rocked Pink for god sakes...

Jay's a smart guy..I think its awesome to watch a rapper go corporate. Just shows the evolution of this shit. Nas sucked up his pride on this one though, now working for the man who admitted to having sex with his babys mother..I give him credit for being to look past that and look at the big picture.

As for camron..lol hes not even in this equation. that guy is so far gone...not too mention im sure Mase will have some things to say about him as will G Unit when his album comes out. Its stupid.

Sarr

Wishes he was on probation
i gota admit i never paid much attention to cam before this diss...now im feelin the guy

but i still think jigga will come back and probably smash him. Only problem is...what material does hov have on cam? cam used the ugly thing, sandles,beyonce,age, fake hustler,biggie rhyme biter.. etc etc. What does jigga have on camron?

this is a very interesting beef

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.