Jay-Z Honored For His Humanitarian Work In Africa

Rahim

VIP Member
Staff member
Jay-Z was honored in New York on Wednesday night (October 1) at the U.N. Global Leadership Gala, for his humanitarian work in Africa where he's worked to bring clean water to poor parts of the continent.

However, unlike most celebs who just donate money in hopes of it reaching the right place, the rapper actually voyaged to the poor parts of Africa and made sure things were getting done.

"Many charities, you close your eyes and cross your fingers and hope that the money gets to the people who really deserve it," he said, according to People. "But with this, I got to go to Africa, see the water pumps. I got to see the kids turn them on."

During the event, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon paid tribute to Jay by rapping for five minutes to the crowd, reports MTV. Ki-moon spit, "So many people out there experiencing so much strife / Their life needs water ... Water for Life" and continued "I may be old, but I'm still a learner / I see many friends out there, I see Ted Turner."

Jay-Z told MTV following the event that while he is honored for being recognized by the U.N., the real reward was being there, seeing people receive clean water. In fact, he says it's one of the most rewarding experiences of his life.

"I don't know how to feel. It's a great thing and a testament to my journey," the rapper said. "I do believe people should be rewarded for philanthropy, but I think you're rewarded if you're doing it for the right reasons. I was already rewarded when I was in Angola and in these places, and to see kids turning on the water, being able to see what you donated to them.

"I was on the ground and I got to experience it. That was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life," he continued.

Jay has been using his influence across the globe to educate people about the world's water crisis. Back in 2006, he partnered with the U.N. and MTV to spread the word, and used his world concert tour that year to visit poor regions lacking clean water, encouraging young people to conserve water.

"As I started looking around and looking at ways I can become helpful, it started with water. Something as simple as water," said Jay-Z previously. "Young people need to know the problem exists."

Source: BallerStatus.com

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.