Jay-Z Bought 200,000+ of his own CD's?

December 8. In its first week on the market, Jay Z latest album Kingdom Come sold an impressive 680,000 copies. But the numbers may not be what they seem. MediaTakeOut.com received an anonymous email from a person claiming that in an effort to inflate sales figures, Jay Z may have purchased his own albums.

The full text of the email is printed below:

Just wanted to let you know that the "numbers" that Jay put up are probably fake. I work at Def Jam and everyone here knows that [Jay Z] bought more than 200,000 copies of the album himself. Ain't that some [EXPLETIVE]. I guess money really ain't a thing for [Jay Z].

He was all up on the BET Awards saying "Numbers don't lie." Fake [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE].

And there seems to be evidence to support the tipster's claim. MediaTakeOut.com has learned that in its second week on the market, sales of Kingdom Come declined by 81% - a drop off that's almost unheard of in the record business.

. Developing...

Source: MediaTakeout.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's pathetic as fuck if its true...

Here's the thing....

MediaTakeOut.com received an anonymous email from a person claiming that in an effort to inflate sales figures, Jay Z may have purchased his own albums.

I could just email the site and tell them that I also work for Def Jam and that Jay Z likes to have sex with trolls.

True... i never said it was true did i? the title has a ? on it... and i say at the end, thats fuckin pathetic if its true..

Just pure entertainment until the consensus is out on if its true or not.. ya never know

Get In The Van I Have Candy said:
Here's the thing....

MediaTakeOut.com received an anonymous email from a person claiming that in an effort to inflate sales figures, Jay Z may have purchased his own albums.

I could just email the site and tell them that I also work for Def Jam and that Jay Z likes to have sex with trolls.
Perhaps but I wouldn't be surprised. An 85% drop is pretty fuckin big.

roaches

An 85% drop is pretty fuckin big.
It's big, but not that big. There's almost always a huge difference between first-week and second-week sales - the Game and Fat Joe both saw 60-something percent drops, to give recent examples. And the album dropped on the week of Black Friday - of course fewer people were going to be in stores the following week.

Sarr

Wishes he was on probation
it sounds about correct...i mean nobody is selling what jigga sold in his first week (nobody from NY anyway) and he easily has the money to do that shit...plus look at the huge drop in sales

duno..i suspected it even before i read this

SiGh

Who's there?
Staff member
Get In The Van I Have Candy said:
Here's the thing....

LMAO.
Where u been btw?

KO

I'm not one to follow rumours n shit but I must admit I wouldnt be surprised if this was indeed true, those numbers he put up first week are almost unheard of these days with the decline in record sales, he outsold the games album 2 to 1 based on first week sales, surely something is up there? plus we all know Jay has the money to pull this off, and we all know what his ego is like.

ArtsyGirl

Depends by what they mean by "And there seems to be evidence to support the tipster's claim. MediaTakeOut.com has learned that in its second week on the market, sales of Kingdom Come declined by 81% - a drop off that's almost unheard of in the record business." If thats all they got then its not all that much evidence at all. But I wouldnt be suprised if he did, or if this has been done before.

roaches

if 85% is not "that big" - what is? When have we ever seen such a massive drop in sales from week 1 to week 2?
It would be THAT big if it happened in any other week than the one it did happen in. Reading is fundamental.

Big Flipp

Like someone pointed out, black friday was during his first week of sales. Records sales for that week were 36% higher than they were the previous week so if his record was to drop any other week we are looking at a 49% drop, not exactally unheard of these days.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.