Jay-Z and Nas sit down with MTV

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Def Jam president Jay-Z and rapper Nas – once fierce rhyme enemies engaged in bitter lyrical warfare – are now all smiles, hugs, pounds and business as the two have a new recording partnership described by Jigga as “bigger than both of us.”

“It's not really about us,” Jay tells MTV in the duo’s first joint interview since announcing Nas as the latest artist signed to Def Jam. “I mean it is, but it really isn't. It's more about the culture, about showing people another way, because [the battle] we staged was something that stopped the world. Now everyone emulates the battle. 'If I do that, I can get attention drawn to me.' Now everyone is emulating the end result. So now we have to show them another way.”

The longstanding battle between the two artists went public in 2001 when Hov released “The Takeover” and Nas responded with “Ether.” While both had spent the following years claiming their beef was over, it wasn’t until last October when fans saw actual proof. The two performed together during Jay’s I Declare War sets for the Powerhouse 2005: Operation Takeover concerts in New Jersey and Philly. Then last month, it was announced that Nas had officially signed to Def Jam.

Both say that a duet is very likely down the road. In the meantime, the two admit that the timing of their reconciliation was not something that was choreographed.

“It's not a date you can say, ‘We're friends today,’” he explained to MTV, drawing a laugh from Nas. “But you can say it's respect [between us], and from respect, anything is possible."

Nas added: “In the midst of a battle, you never know how it's gonna turn out. All you know is that you're gonna fight to the finish. In the middle of it, that's how it was. It was always respect, it wasn't that he wanted to gun me down or I wanted to gun him down. It was never that. That's not how real bosses move or real men move."

Nas and Jigga have also done an interview with BET which will air soon. According to rumours Nas calls out Cam'ron and the Dipest crew, whom he has never had the greatest realtionship with.

masta247

Staff member
Though i don't like jay-z n his music im happy they finally squashed theyre beef. I just hope i wont see too many jay-z n Nas collabo coz it wont be good to Nas's music ;)

Jay only 'squashed' dis beef so dat Def Jam could sign a good artist since they ain't been able to keep many of them. It ain't real Jay jus willin to do wot he got to. Russel Simons 4 Def Jam President!! Get rid o Jay Z. Great rapper Bad President!!!!!! Jus ask Busta, DMX, eve...

ArtsyGirl

I dont think he meant litterally 'staged' atleast thats how I took it. It was less a personal beef than a lyrical one so staging a competition to see who's better is more what I took from that.
Im lookin forward to what comes out of this partnership.

wise

artisticgurl said:
I dont think he meant litterally 'staged' atleast thats how I took it. It was less a personal beef than a lyrical one so staging a competition to see who's better is more what I took from that.
Im lookin forward to what comes out of this partnership.
" What if I told you me and the rapper Hova was really cool..
... and we used this whole beef as an industry tool " ~ Nas

forget what song it's from, it was featuring lake i think...dont even know if the lyrics are correct but that's what he said...

juelz tookshots at nas during the jay z battle, so did camron...' zone out ', the track featuring bravehearts off of the GodSon album has NAS pokin' fun at the fact that rumors have circulated that CamRon is H-I-V positive...

" you gotta "H"ouse "I"n "V"irgina, the only way you ' sicker ' than us .. gettin' bagged with .22's now yousa rediculas fuck....no need for the gunplay it's okay, cause you dyin' anyway! "

holler back

wise said:
" What if I told you me and the rapper Hova was really cool..
... and we used this whole beef as an industry tool " ~ Nas

forget what song it's from, it was featuring lake i think...dont even know if the lyrics are correct but that's what he said...

juelz tookshots at nas during the jay z battle, so did camron...' zone out ', the track featuring bravehearts off of the GodSon album has NAS pokin' fun at the fact that rumors have circulated that CamRon is H-I-V positive...

" you gotta "H"ouse "I"n "V"irgina, the only way you ' sicker ' than us .. gettin' bagged with .22's now yousa rediculas fuck....no need for the gunplay it's okay, cause you dyin' anyway! "

holler back
Nas is genious though, I don't think collabin with Jay-Z would be a bad thing, they are both highly talented.

ArtsyGirl

Why is that bad tho? I feel that battling is legit in Hip Hop and thats what they did. Two of the biggest rappers in NY goin at it. Whats wrong with that?

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.