It Was Written: Classic?

I just can't stop listening to it. Affirmative Action, If I Ruled the World, I Gave You Power, Street Dreams etc. this album has few weak points. Possibly one of Nas' most underrated. It may not be street poetry of Illmatic but IWW is surely one of Hip-Hop's most important releases.

Opinions?

DPG iz all I C

"It Was Written i flossed, one of the most creative LP's ever to hit stores"

Agree with you, people were expecting another Illmatic when IWW dropped but that was never likely to happen, no 2 albums are ever a like. On this album Nas came so tight on nearly every song, and definatly didnt get the props he deserved from it.

FroDawgg

i disagree...i think it's overrated. i think of all his solos, this is no better than nastradamus (which is very underrated)

its classic to me...only wack song on the album is Nas is coming, and it aint that bad the rhymes are on point i guess its just the beat...but its a classic to me ...suspect, if i ruled the world,take it in blood, street dreams, the message, i gave you power, affirmative action are all classics to me and my favs off the album

linx

Staff member
FroDawgg said:
i disagree...i think it's overrated. i think of all his solos, this is no better than nastradamus (which is very underrated)
Fuck you talking about?

I don't know if you guys were around when I made a big post about this, but I reviewed the album and it got alot of replies where people agreed with me. Classic? No. Great album? Yes. I don't see how people heavily underrate this album.

ARon

^^Not at all really, if someone throws a classic label on an album that isn't argueable, best believe people are quick to check em. It might be thrown around too often like you say, but it is thrown around, not accepted.

Many say he "sold out" with production from this album, which on Illmatic, he was just working with the hottest producers at the time, nevertheless that shouldn't effect the music. For me this album cemented my liking for Nas, i like it a lot. To me i would say it is a personal Classic. But in the Hip-Hop world, i wouldn't say it is. Illmatic, Paid In Full, The Low End Theory, to name a few classics have no skippable tracks. This album I skip one, two, maybe three songs when I feel like it, not always. Part of the reason i could understand someone not calling it a Classic. But this is a very very solid album and shouldn't be overlooked by most "Heads" cus they think the album is irrelevant because it wasn't Illmatic and it was before Stillmatic.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.