Informant In Biggie's Slaying Admits Hearsay

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-biggie3jun03,0,4408184.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Informant in Rap Star's Slaying Admits Hearsay
By Chuck Philips, Times Staff Writer

A paid informant who figured prominently in police and FBI investigations into the killing of rap star Notorious B.I.G., and who accused rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight and a rogue police officer of orchestrating the murder, has admitted that his information was "all hearsay."

The informant, questioned under oath in a civil lawsuit, also admitted that his identification of the alleged gunman was fraudulent. He described himself as a paranoid schizophrenic.

ADVERTISEMENT
The statements cast grave doubt on a theory that has gained wide currency: that corrupt police officers played a role in the killing and that top LAPD officials covered up their actions.

The theory, energetically promoted by a former Los Angeles police detective, has been featured in Rolling Stone magazine, on MTV and PBS' "Frontline," and in books and movies. Along the way, it has attained a kind of pop-culture immortality.

Notorious B.I.G., born Christopher Wallace, was gunned down March 9, 1997, after a music-industry party in the Mid-Wilshire district. The case remains unsolved.

Leads that the informant gave LAPD detectives formed the basis of the theory that Knight, founder of Death Row Records, conspired with then-LAPD Officer David A. Mack to arrange the shooting.

According to this scenario, a college friend of Mack's, a Southland mortgage broker named Amir Muhammad, ambushed Wallace as his motorcade waited at a stoplight.

The informant picked Muhammad's picture out of a police photo lineup in 1998.

Five years later, he served as an undercover operative in an FBI investigation that focused on Muhammad.

In his recent deposition, the informant, known to law enforcement officials as "Psycho Mike," all but demolished his earlier assertions about the killing.

He said he had no solid information that Knight or Mack was involved — only "hearsay." And he acknowledged that he had never laid eyes on Muhammad when LAPD detectives showed him six photos and asked him to identify the suspect.

The informant was asked how he knew what Muhammad looked like.

"I didn't know what he looked like," he replied, according to a transcript of the Feb. 3 deposition obtained by The Times.

"So actually, when you looked at this picture, you guessed?" a lawyer asked.

"Yes," the informant said. "Hearsay."

The Times is withholding the man's name because authorities said disclosing it could endanger his life.

Muhammad, Mack and Knight have long denied any role in the killing.

Wrongful-Death Suit

The deposition was related to a wrongful-death lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles by Wallace's estate, his mother, Voletta Wallace, and other relatives.

The suit contends that LAPD officials covered up police involvement in the rapper's death, and seeks unspecified monetary damages. It is scheduled to go to trial in U.S. District Court on June 14.

There's no doubt in my mind that these 2 cases will never be solved, because the cops don't care. But this information basically destroys any remote possibility of Biggie's case being solved, all the evidence they had against Suge and David Mack just went out the window

CalcuoCuchicheo

Little Miss Vixen
AmerikazMost said:
I think Suge, for one, knows what happened in both, whether he was involved or not. Maybe he'll release a tell all book one day?
I don't think Suge's the Godafther or nothing but, seeing as where both of them happened, I'd think he has at least some idea of what went down. (btw, I don't think he had a direct hand in Tupac's, possibly Biggie's though).

In a way I hope he doesn't tell as it will just kick off more shit.

I've never believed he was involved with Pac's murder, but I've always believed he was directly involved with Biggie's. However most of the evidence I based that assumption on was from this guy's information, so now I don't know. Suge knows something tho, I'd bet my life on it

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.