I'm going on radio this Friday and....

Casey

Staff member
Hey everyone. I just agreed to go on Bobby Friction's show on BBC Asian Network this Friday.

Basically, they do a feature every Friday where they invite 2 well-known asian rap artists on, each artists picks a hiphop tune that influenced them a lot lyrically, and then freestyles over an instrumental for a few minutes about a theme that will be given to them on the show.

If anyone wants to listen, feel free.

But the reason I made this thread is to ponder over which tune I want to pick as having influenced me lyrically. I'm going through a lot of my hiphop CD's and trying to find something... Obviously 'Pac tunes came to mind first, but the emphasis is really on lyrics on this feature (previous MC's on this features have picked songs by KRS, Masta Ace, etc)...so perhaps a Tupac tune would be too obvious, unless of course it was something really obscure.

So far I've thought about:

Big Pun - Dream Shatterer
Big L - Put It On
AZ - Rather Unique
Kool G Rap - Ill Street Blues
Dice Raw - Brain Softener
Limp Bizkit & Method Man - N2 Gether Now (rap/rock connection, like my band)
Limp Bizkit - Just Like This ( I know LB have their haters, but Fred was a murderous MC back in the pre-sellout days, he ripped both of these tracks)
Nas - NY State Of Mind
Bone Thugs N Harmony - Mo' Murda
Bone Thugs & Tupac - Thug Luv
Craig Mack - Get Down

Right now, i'm leaning towards Craig Mack or Kool G. Haven't made my mind up completely yet though.

What do you think?

EDIT - I'm considering DJ Quik as well, but I'm not sure which track. Maybe Jus Lyke Compton. Quik would be good as he represents a lot of the rap styles I like, the P-Funk basslines and Zapp&Roger influence particularly...

TCD

I dont emcee or anything but if I did I would hope it would either sound dark life BIG feat. Diddy Victory or something by Common.

Actually when I think about it, listening to alot of ATCQ and Kanye West has really got me into old school soul music so i'd probably spit over the Marvin Gaye sampled "Spaceship" or the Otis Redding sampled "Gone" because those songs made me look for the sampled artsists.

masta247

Staff member
i don't know it's hard to tell coz everybody is influenced by something else. I've got many songs that influenced me like Tha realest "Az the time passes by" or many wu tang or nas songs. Maybe just choose a song u like.

Casey

Staff member
So I just did a test. I burned all 8 onto CD and played the CD in my living room with like 6 of my peeps in the room drinking and getting blazed.

Limp Bizkit & Meth got the best reception out of all 8 tracks. It's great because that was my first choice anyways. So I decided to choose that, but then we were listening to some 'Pac and now I really wanna use "Fuck All Y'all"...but I dont know if they will want that played on radio....lol.

masta247

Staff member
Personally i would choose "Deadly combination" probably. Lyrically it doesnt have any sense but its really awesome beat to freestyle over it :thumb:

edit: By the way militant.. Few days ago i bought Fifa world cup 2006. Is it you're song init?

Well obviously you want to pick a song that means something to you but theres no point in picking a song with a complex beat that makes it hard to freestyle over.

Casey

Staff member
masta247 said:
Personally i would choose "Deadly combination" probably. Lyrically it doesnt have any sense but its really awesome beat to freestyle over it :thumb:

edit: By the way militant.. Few days ago i bought Fifa world cup 2006. Is it you're song init?
I thought of Deadly Combination (the version with 'Pac, Biggie and Big L) but it didnt make my shortlist.

And yeah, my band's song "DesiRock" is in the Fifa World Cup game. I just got sent some free copies yesterday.

ARon

Hmm, when thinking of lyrical content and hip-hop Limp Bizkit doesnt even come on my radar. Especially that song, with that video and yeah.

Personally I'd choose OC - Time's Up, or some Nas. But I doubt it has influenced you so good luck. By the way, what time is it at?

FroDawgg

TCD said:
Actually when I think about it, listening to alot of ATCQ and Kanye West has really got me into old school soul music so i'd probably spit over the Marvin Gaye sampled "Spaceship" or the Otis Redding sampled "Gone" because those songs made me look for the sampled artsists.
quick question. since you say you would spit over "gone", do you have the instrumental or know where to get it? thanks.

Personally I'd say Kool G Rap - Ill Street Blues.

But I can feel N 2 Gether Now as a good rock/rap collabo.

Congrats btw, all the best.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.