Ignorant comment made on another forum about hip-hop

This is a comment I came across in another forum. The one major part that pisses me off is that he thinks that rap doesn't involve musical instruments. :laugh:
You probably dont remember the 50 cent post... But i went off because i cant stand rap; in general. I have an extremely wide vary of music that ill listen to. Music is very important to me, and i respect it alot. Ill listen to anything from Ray Charles to No Innocent Victim. But rap is something i can NOT listen to, becuase it is NOT music. There are very few artists that i can listen to. One of them Being the Black Eyed Peas. They get a bad rep and some of their songs do suck ass, because they turn into pop music. But you know what? Your other rap songs dont involve musical instruments in the song like theirs do. I have respect for them because they play their own instruments and actually make their own music. All this other shit is some guy on a keyboard, trying beats until he likes one, then he makes "a song". Most the time someone will make the beat, someone else will sing it. So its not your "music"; if you call it that. It isnt music. Not because i dont like it; but because it really isnt. Its noise. If you really think about it, it doesnt have a musical aspect. Oh and the singing, what singing? Some of the songs i hear on mtv i really have to laugh at. Grown men singing like little *****es is now cool. Why dont they just cut their penis of while theyre at it? They dont sing, they talk. And occasinally change pitch... Maybe. And the reason it is so big, is because it is so mainstream and all the highschool and middle school age kids buy into it because they see them with all this bling and stuff and want to be like that. So they start changing the way they act and what they wear and what they listen to. Just because its cool. To the few people who actually like rap, good okay, whatever. But dont walk around like your some homie from the south side when you still live with your **** parents. Your acting like something you not, to try and be cool. And you dont realize how stupid you look to those of us who actually have a trace of intelligence. I was talking to this one freshman at my high school the other day. Somehow somone said something about rap, because she was listening to mainstream shit. She looked at me and said "i bet you listen to the gay rock shit right?" When she doesnt understand, if it wasent for rock, rap wouldnt have started. Blues turned into r&b, blues and r&b started rock, and rock started rap. People really just dont understand anything, and it frustrates me to know that people are that stupid. Go ahead and flame me now.
Opinions or comments?

Ignorance, dats like me assuming rock is nothing but Metallica, I dont blame him tho, it seems the only rap hes been exposed to is the kind of Lil Jon w.e tho....

Casey

Staff member
Meh. If all the rap he has heard is post-2002 mainstream, then for the most part he's got a point.

Mainstream hiphop these days does mostly suck ass.

roaches

If all the rap he has heard is post-2002 mainstream, then for the most part he's got a point.
No he doesn't, and he doubly doesn't if you're coming from a rock perspective - they love the popular strain of hip-hop more than hip-hop heads do.

Casey

Staff member
roaches said:
they love the popular strain of hip-hop more than hip-hop heads do.
rockers love mainstream hiphop more than hiphop heads? please. I'm a metaller myself (Korn, Sepultura, Slipknot, Killswitch Engage, Sabbath) and I hang out at all the rock clubs. When I talk to my rocker friends about hiphop they love Nas, Ice-T, NWA, Tribe, 'Pac, DMX. Not Em, Lil Jon, BEP, G-Unit and the bullshit MTV plays and is popular these days.

roaches

rockers love mainstream hiphop more than hiphop heads? please.
I can't speak on the U.K., but here in the U.S. the rock crowd is absolutely gaga over mainstream hip-hop. Jeezy, the Houston crop, Lil' Wayne, even G-Unit still, etc. Rock critics have even disowned the strains of underground hip-hop they used to champion.

ARon

Whats wrong with grown men singing. We wouldnt have some of the greatest songs ever made if it wasn't for grown men singing. See Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Teddy P, Sam Cooke and on and on and on.

RidinOutDaStorm said:
This is a comment I came across in another forum. The one major part that pisses me off is that he thinks that rap doesn't involve musical instruments. :laugh: Opinions or comments?
that person who wrote that shit should listen ROOTS:thumb:

he just has not been exposed to a lot of rap artists.

Once this kid gets out of high school he will grow into a steamy, firey, straight-laced conservative. He thinks that because he likes rock music the most, EVERYONE else is fucking brain dead for not liking EXACTLY what he likes.

He would fit ever so perfectly into a job with our nations government

Casey

Staff member
roaches said:
I can't speak on the U.K., but here in the U.S. the rock crowd is absolutely gaga over mainstream hip-hop. Jeezy, the Houston crop, Lil' Wayne, even G-Unit still, etc. Rock critics have even disowned the strains of underground hip-hop they used to champion.
Wow, that's interesting to note. It's not the same here. Are you talking about pop-rockers that listen to Green Day and stuff that's popular or people that listen to real metal, like the stuff I listen to. I wouldn't be as surprised if it was the former but I can't see it being the latter. Here, the people that listen to real good rock also aprpeciate real good hiphop and have a strong distaste for the commercial corporate bullshit that plagues both genres.

roaches said:

When did Rock critics become credible hip hop/rap critics?

The rock crowd in the US listens to pop rock. You know with all the bands that have a singer that sounds like hes pouting and whining.

Fuck critics anyway, I have only read a couple right on reviews in my life out of uncountable amounts of reviews read.

HiGhTillDeaTH said:
Once this kid gets out of high school he will grow into a steamy, firey, straight-laced conservative. He thinks that because he likes rock music the most, EVERYONE else is fucking brain dead for not liking EXACTLY what he likes.

He would fit ever so perfectly into a job with our nations government
So true :laugh:

Militant said:
Wow, that's interesting to note. It's not the same here. Are you talking about pop-rockers that listen to Green Day and stuff that's popular or people that listen to real metal, like the stuff I listen to. I wouldn't be as surprised if it was the former but I can't see it being the latter. Here, the people that listen to real good rock also aprpeciate real good hiphop and have a strong distaste for the commercial corporate bullshit that plagues both genres.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.