if you could do the original black album concept today, who'd you get?

roaches

the original concept: jay-z was going to have 12 songs, each with a different producer. in the lists that were floating around the rumor bill back then there were some contemporary hitmakers (neptunes, kanye), some anachronisms (swizz beats - this was before his resurgence, remember), some legends (marley marl, premier), some lesser-known names (beatnuts, dilla) and some of his reliable standbys (just blaze).

who would you get to do your black album?

masta247

Staff member
I don't like Jayz and don't like his beats neither but I like some of his producers.
I'd get:

1. DJ Premier
2. The RZA
3. 9th Wonder
4. 4th Disciple
5. Dr. Dre
6. DJ Jazzy Jeff
7. Johnny J (because of sentiment)
8. Warren G
9. Da Beatminerz (I'd like to meat them in real life)
10. Swizz Beatz (for a party track because I don't like him much except that)
11. Armand Van Helden (not popular for hip-hop but nearly every beat he makes is awesome)
12. Inspectah Deck

It'd be pretty mixed I guess.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
I would have to have 9th wonder send me about 50 beats so I could choose a good one out of a plethora of garbage beats.

like Jigga did.

1. The Hitmen
2. DJ Toomp
3. Polow da Don
4. Kanye West
5. The Neptunes
6. Just Blaze
7. Cool & Dre
8. Hi-Tek
9. No ID
10. DJ Green Lantern
11. Bink!
12. The Heatmakerz

:)

1. DJ Premier
2. Kanye
3. Just Blaze
4. Polow Da Don
5. Sha Money XL
6. Hi-Tek
7. Neptunes
8. Johnny J
9. Eminem
10. Dr. Dre
11. J.R Rotem
12. Scott Storch

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
In no order.

01. Dr. Dre
02. Kanye West
03. Just Blaze
04. Timbaland
05. DJ Toomp
06. DJ Quik
07. JR Rotem
08. The Runners
09. Cool & Dre
10. RZA

ARon

Dilla...what does Wale say, there aint no advance that can bring back Dilla, or something along those lines.
Premo
Pete Rock
RZA
Organized Noize
DJ Muggs
Rick Rubin
Alchemist
Mannie
I want to say Black Milk but I think Imma go with DJ Honda to round it off.

This question is so damn hard though. I can change those last 3 or 4 up with ease. You got Dre, Dan the Automator, Doom, Ant Banks, Stoupe, Beatnuts, Diamond D matter of fact anyone from the DITC crew, or Buckshot and BCC for that matter, LES, and on and on and on. And of course there are people missing that'll Ill be pissed at myself for missing but thats a given. Some of you made some choices that have me questioning you. The Black Album was gonna be the album of his catalogue, you don't go get weak ass people who are hot at the moment for it. Cool & Dre people, for real?

Who's Black Milk?

And what has Shock G done recently?

Cool & Dre people, for real?
Say what you want about Cool & Dre, but, bar a couple, they've produced more bangers in the last 5 years than anyone.

I'd rather have "weak ass" producers who have an exceptional recent track record than "great" producers who are washed up and haven't made a decent beat in years (RZA, PR, Prem).

roaches

Who's Black Milk?
Rapper/producer from Detroit. One half of BR Gunna (they did a couple of Slum Village albums). Dropped a pretty good mixtape with Bishop Lamont.

And what has Shock G done recently?
The last DU album dropped this year. I haven't heard it. I threw his name in there as part of the anachronism thing, though, you know?

And while you can argue they haven't dropped any true gems in a while, saying that Pete/Preeme/RZA haven't made DECENT beats in years is just wrong.

Preach

i was surprised you put shock g there, but it didn't strike me as out of place. i always thought shock was underrated. he is a great musician in a more traditional sense of the word than a lot of current producers. he did at least one cut on the second rose from concrete album, and while it featured the embarrassment that was candyman 187, and while rose from concrete cds normally suck, that one song had an awesome du-style beat.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.