I object to the amount of 50 Cent news featured on this site (PLEASE READ)

First of all this is not a post designed to antagonise people but merely an opinion. Furthermore I would like to add that I am a regular visitor to street hop.com mainly because of the album reviews, articles, forums etc and I think the creators of the site have done a fantastic job.

My one problem is that the only news that seems to be reported nowadays on streethop.com is concerning 50 Cent. Sure we get the odd titbit here and wherever informing us of the activities of other artists but in the last few months it seems the site has turned into somewhat of a homage to 50 Cent.

Regardless of my opinions on the rapper (And coincidentally, am I the only one who thinks other more corporate media outlets already offer more than enough news on this guy?) I thought that streethop.com was impartial in it’s reporting of news but it would seem like if 50 Cent takes a shit in his toilet it will get reported here.

Maybe I’m just being stupid and there really is nothing else going on in hip hop of any relevance or importance besides 50 Cent’s plans to penetrate (unintentional pun) the world of sex toys?

Can we have some hip hop news not related to 50 Cent more than once in a blue moon???! I don’t want to have to keep heading over to allhiphop.com, those advertisements annoy me but then it’s still a relatively 50 Cent free zone. Sadly Unique for any hip hop related sites these days.

Is everyone owned by XXL or something?

S. Fourteen

Hussein Fatal label news
The Game prepares Doctor's Advocate
Rappers help out their old hoods for Thanksgiving
DMX sentenced to 70 days in jail
Chamillionaire sells himself on Ebay
New York cracks down on Hip-Hop element
Cam uncooperative in shooting investigation
Diddy and The Lox Beefing again
The Lox retire from Interscope "bullshit"
UK - Urban music star Romeo cleared of attack
Voletta Wallace lets rip in "Biggie"
99 problems for Jay-Z and Ice-T
Curtain Call for Eminem

all of those are on the first page.

Like it or not, 50 Cent is one of the hottest things in Hip Hop. When you report something, you're trying to sell the story and 50 Cent sells. He sells, that is the reason why he's on the cover of GQ, that is the reason why XXL is on his nuts. I do agree with you though, I dont really need to read 50's sex toy business but at the same time i dont have a problem with it. This is a place where people make a thread when a famous person is spotted with a 2pac t-shirt.

saltynuts said:
Hussein Fatal label news
Curtain Call for Eminem

Like it or not, 50 Cent is one of the hottest things in Hip Hop. When you report something, you're trying to sell the story and 50 Cent sells. He sells, that is the reason why he's on the cover of GQ, that is the reason why XXL is on his nuts. I do agree with you though, I dont really need to read 50's sex toy business but at the same time i dont have a problem with it. This is a place where people make a thread when a famous person is spotted with a 2pac t-shirt.
I’m sorry, most of what you have just said is largely irrelevant to point I have just made. I did not state that NO other news gets reported at this site but rather it's predominantly 50 Cent news that is posted. (seven out of the last twenty pieces in fact)

I'm not disputing that 50 Cent sells magazines and wouldn't have a problem if the news posted about him was of somewhat importance, but it's not. More often than not, It's either based on claptrap hearsay or derived from unreliable sources ('The Sun' is arguably the UK's premier bullshitting tabloid)

What certain visitors choose to make posts about is irrelevant, in fact I'll think you will find if we are talking about target audiences here; more posts are made "hating on 50 Cent" than any other artist on this board. He's eclipsed even Ja Rule on that front which is no mean feat.

Furthermore, the most momentous occassion in hip hop for years and years took place just a month ago when Jay Z and Nas united on stage together. A story that would capture people's attention and be milked to death but I don't even recall reading about it on this site (I'm sure some wise ass with too much time on their hands will find some evidence) but the point is I've heard more about 50 Cent's films, video games and books than I have done about REAL hip hop news.

Big Flipp

Sime thing I would like to see is a little more underground news on here. You know, not really just any underground artist but the midlevel guys that are well known enough to be mentioned but never get any coverage.

Another thing that I think would be nice is some concert details and tour info.

S. Fourteen

I guess you're really deeply into this man. I respect your opinion but the fact remains. 50 Cent sells, his news sells, people likes to read about 50 Cent, a site with a lot of 50 Cent news gets more traffic.

I remember seeing two or three threads about Nas and Jay-Z. It started with a pic of them two on a stage and ended with 'wow thats really cool'.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
saltynuts said:
Hussein Fatal label news
Curtain Call for Eminem

Exactly. We report about a lot of artists, 50 Cent just happens to make a lot of news lately because of his movie and the shooting and hype around it.

I mean sure, I could report that Busta Rhymes cut his hair, but wow, is that such major news? I dont really care about another mans hair cut, so I wont post it.

But as salty pointed out, a lot of other news has been posted.

However, thank you for your concern and comments. The fact is, 50 just happens to be in the head lines a lot nowadays, next month it will be someone else dont worry.

Rukas

Capo Dei Capi
Staff member
Advocate said:
yeah i agree. if i was admin i would make it a g-unit free board. but thats just because im a sour puss.

a
Well its a good thing you dont, or your site would get shitty hits and shitty visitors.

Look at it like this, if I post a 50 Cent article, it will bring in the mainstream fans, who will then look at the other articles and threads and be educated in hiphop.

ARon

Do you actually have people who like try to find news, or you just get the news from other sites and then write an article about it?
Some news on obscure artists would be nice, not neccessarily underground but "most known unknown" artists I guess you could say. Release dates, remixes, just news on music not neccessarily the artist' life would be cool.

Oh yeah, most of the 50 cent threads are made by most of the same people and you get most of the same people in there talking about him. So dont think this whole board is owned by XXL or whatever.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Rukas is a businessman. He knows that mf doom fans won't give him the hits needed to keep up the site. Advocate, your site would be strictly subjective if you did that, and that would reduce the quality of your website. The point of news is to give others information, not inform people of what you like.

ARon

^Whats wrong with putting up the MF Doom news also though?

Also, props on the Planet Asia news, thats like exactly what I want to see, this guy is releasing this look out, follow it up with a review, blah blah, the whole 50 cent thing aint a big deal just want to see more news I guess, takes time though.

VV I was just using your example too VV

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
Aristotle said:

Also, props on the Planet Asia news, thats like exactly what I want to see, this guy is releasing this look out, follow it up with a review, blah blah, the whole 50 cent thing aint a big deal just want to see more news I guess, takes time though.
I used MF Doom as an example of underground artists that aren't really commercial. I have nothing against MF Doom. Ask Rukas why he doesn't put the news up, though. Maybe, there aren't any?

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Aristotle said:

VV I was just using your example too VV
S O F I S T I K said:
I used MF Doom as an example of underground artists that aren't really commercial. I have nothing against MF Doom. Ask Rukas why he doesn't put the news up, though. Maybe, there aren't any?

We have reported on MF Doom before. But it isn't that varied and doesn't get much of a response. You can only report "Doom and Mouse to work together" once.

If anyone has any obscure news pieces or any artist news they feel we have missed then they can just PM me, and if I agree, I will add it.

It's true though 50 Cent is heavy in the news at the moment and not just on this site. It isn't always about 50, just he is topical at the moment. And hate him or love him (most hate him), he creates the largest amount of views and posts.

ARon

MF Doom was an example of an artist. I'm sure I'm not and neither is Sofi saying make more news about him. But other artists not so seen maybe. And yeah 50 is in the news but for me I dont want the mistake to be made that I personally dont want to see news about him, i could care less. I would just like to see more nws period, on any artist. Which brings me back to my initial question, do you have "reporters" in a sense or just info you find on the net and so forth.

Pittsey

Knock, Knock...
Staff member
Aristotle said:
MF Doom was an example of an artist. I'm sure I'm not and neither is Sofi saying make more news about him. But other artists not so seen maybe. And yeah 50 is in the news but for me I dont want the mistake to be made that I personally dont want to see news about him, i could care less. I would just like to see more nws period, on any artist. Which brings me back to my initial question, do you have "reporters" in a sense or just info you find on the net and so forth.

I understood what you were saying. I was using your example, but I don't think I was clear.

It's easier to find news on 50 Cent. There are more people who work on the press side at interscope. More press releases sent to News Sources. I don't think many underground artists even send press releases. When looking for underground news it is usually taken from independent local websites or magazines. With 50 Cent it is global and found easily. Plus he seems to be doing more.

I have taken on your comments and will be making an effort to report more on the underdog. Check a new post about El-P in news coming up.

50cent is the greatest!!! Thats why we can't stop talking about him. For the last (3 YEARS!!!!!!) this board has been all about 50cent.I think 50 should have his on forum in Streethop.holla

ARon

Pittsey said:
I understood what you were saying. I was using your example, but I don't think I was clear.

It's easier to find news on 50 Cent. There are more people who work on the press side at interscope. More press releases sent to News Sources. I don't think many underground artists even send press releases. When looking for underground news it is usually taken from independent local websites or magazines. With 50 Cent it is global and found easily. Plus he seems to be doing more.

I have taken on your comments and will be making an effort to report more on the underdog. Check a new post about El-P in news coming up.
Understood.

jbrolax

There isnt that many 50 cent threads, and why make another division, street hop isnt exactly busy at the moment...

Plus most of it has to do with game and beef, so bringing back the BEEF forum would be more logical, i think

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.