How you got into certain rappers

How did you guys start listening to a certain rapper or a group? Like for example say you heard of Wu-Tang Clan and knew they were around for a while. You never listened to them yet you didn't know what they was like until you listened to one of there songs out of no where and because you got exposed to them somehow you started feelin them. I explain how I started listenin to certain guys.

I didn't know too much of the NWA back then. I heard Ice cube, Dre and Easy was in a group together back then but didn't know about them in great detail or how they broke up until the Beef DVD. When I saw the DVD i was like damn they was around since back then? I played GTA: San Andreas this past october and I heard "Easier said than done" and "Express yourself". But the song that got me hooked on NWA was "Always into Somethin" That was the rawest shit that I heard. The beat was just crazy and it fit the game perfectly. That track was tight. Because of that song I bought Niggaz4Life: 100 miles & Runnin and that whole cd minus automobile ile was straight fire. Also I knew about the D.O.C because of San Andreas and the Beef DVD. I heard Funky Enough and i thought oh that's where shyne got that beat from. I thought the song was tight. But I played NBA Live 05 and heard Mind Blowin' I was like that song is tight also and the funny thing is i had live since it came out and just recently i was listenin to that song when i was fixing my roster. I didn't pay attention till then and i thought that shit was raw. I bought "No one can do it better" and that's one of my fav cds also.

I remember reading about NWA on another messageboard, particularly "Fuck Tha Police" so I downloaded that and "Straight Outta Compton", have been mainstays on my playlist since.

To be completely honest I get into some rappers at complete random. For instance, I only got Jadakiss' "Kiss of Death" because all the reviews and things I had heard about it was good, and now I'm a fan of D-Block. I didn't know shit about Nas until very recently, same for Common - I kept hearing good things, picked up some albums.

ChrisZimbo

Staff member
fugees - the "ready or not" song
wu tang clan - the songs "itz yourz" and "dog shit"
2pac - the song "changes" as well as "teardrops and closed caskets"
Nas - the song "if i ruled the world" and "one mic" and "life's a bitch"
dmx - the song "slippin" and "hows it going down"

Farzin

I never really liked Nas or didnt really get into his music until i heard One Mic. I was blown away by that song it became one of my favourites and i then checked him out in depth and started to like his songs more and more.

linx

Staff member
Just by listening their music. I was never a big HOV fan, but the past year I gave his music alot more play and I became a bigger fan. I always liked and respected his music, but I was just never a big fan of it. If I hear someone dope, i'll try to get whatever I can by them.

I remember when I was in high school and I turned on TRL and saw the debuet of "My Name Is"....instantly fell in love with that song, and thought the guy was going to be a legend.

So I would go out and did what I did for Pac, buy every album he was on, every compilation, every soundtrack, whatever, I bought it. So Eminem was on the Blueprint, and even though I hated Jay-Z, I still bought the album. Jay-Z is now one of my 3 favorite rappers, along with Eminem and 2pac.

I think about how I started to listen to some rappers and I just realize that they all evolve from eachother. For example, I bought some album that 2pac was on, and the Luniz were on it too. I liked the Luniz, so I bought Yuk's first "United Ghetto", on there I heard Mac Dre, and Mac Dre is now in my top 5. It's all just an evolution.

roaches

Listening to the radio and mixtapes, the Internet and magazines (not so much anymore) to find out what was hot elsewhere.

well before the net.... i basically heard what my friends had...and if i liked the shit, i went and bought it

back in '94ish one of my friends had doggystyle..and he copied it to a tape for me lol....but yeah, it blew my mind away...but from that i bought the chronic, dogg food, and eventually all eyez on me..

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.