"how did rap turn gangsta"

i decided my assignment and thats the title
id like anyones imput and ideas
im planning to do a visual documentary with a voice over(mine)
to go for around 10 minutes and have things like N,W,A and KRS one and so forth
feedback would be great!

jasedwads

On probation, please report any break in the guidl
rappers talking about killin people, media gets involved and creates hype about rappers. Things esculate and get out of controle.

Deaths in the rap scene only adding to the sterotyping by the media and general public. It went from rappin to gang culture.

yea but i mean before that, why it went that way, and how
before it was like this it was more socially conscious rap not much of fuck this fuck that nigga nigga nigga crap

jasedwads

On probation, please report any break in the guidl
oh right i see what you mean.

Its a hard question to answer because i guess you have to be in the rap game and to be around the time it changed to be able to answer thatquestion. It could of just been a general movement in music. I mean look at pop music. 10 years ago, a pop artists would not swear but now a lot of pop artists are saying the odd swear word. Maybe its to create hype, maybe its too look 'cool'. This could be related to rap and the gangsta image.

Chronic

Are you sure you're knowledge of rap is enough to pull this off? Doing a presentation/essay on rap is very tempting but make sure you're capable of it.

i'm doin same thang for my english class. my group doin african american experience and i'm gonna write about rap is an expression of their hardships and how it influences youth today used as a marketing tool. i was thinkin of playin changes, dear mama, keep ya head up, or brendas gotta baby cuz they aint got cussin in em, but imma roll wit changes cuz it reflects how it is tha most. some suggestions would help yall..

reason y i dont do hiphop influences on the youth is cause i think its to broad
theres gang violence
theres the slang
theres the fashion
so much stuff thats y i tried to focus on rap rather than hiphop

Depends.

Current "gangsta" rap? For the most part, I'd consider that a mere trend; a fad. 50 Cent, Ja Rule, even Jadakiss/D-Block etc...

However, I'd say rap "turned gangsta" because streetwise rappers at the end of the 1980's and early 1990's were rapping about what they knew about; the ghetto, guns, drugs, etcetera...a lot of them can lay claim to having grown up in environments that saw various shootouts, gang related ordeals, drug trafficking, etc. etc.

.cloud. said:
Depends.

Current "gangsta" rap? For the most part, I'd consider that a mere trend; a fad. 50 Cent, Ja Rule, even Jadakiss/D-Block etc...

However, I'd say rap "turned gangsta" because streetwise rappers at the end of the 1980's and early 1990's were rapping about what they knew about; the ghetto, guns, drugs, etcetera...a lot of them can lay claim to having grown up in environments that saw various shootouts, gang related ordeals, drug trafficking, etc. etc.

keep these kinda posts coming to me please :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: this is the material im looking for
opinions, theories, facts and so forth

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.