How did NAS get such dope Production with Illmatic?

For a debut album? There are some seriously classic yet simple beats on the album. I dont know what DJ Premier was working for back in the day, i'm just wondering. Did nas have some money before he dropped illmatic?

a

well he was on main sources song "live at the barbque" .. so large professor from that .. and large professor knows alot of people .. so word prolly spread that yo this kid got skills comin from queensbridge so they prolly showed love... hip hop was less politics back then

Jay-Z's production wasn't too bad for a debut either...but Illmatic was an allstar lineup, something that I doubt could happen these days.

fiftycent2002 said:
well he was on main sources song "live at the barbque" .. so large professor from that .. and large professor knows alot of people .. so word prolly spread that yo this kid got skills comin from queensbridge so they prolly showed love... hip hop was less politics back then
thats a good answer

7 Syns

HitEmUp21 said:
Jay-Z's production wasn't too bad for a debut either...but Illmatic was an allstar lineup, something that I doubt could happen these days.
That can be argued, look at who got on The Game's debut? Fair enough Just Blaze isn't Large Professor and Kanye West is no Pete Rock but The Documentry was beautifully laced production wise. Dr. Dre, Kanye West, Just Blaze, Cool & Dre, Timbaland, Hi-Tek and ofcourse Buckwild.

On Illmatic though, yeah that record is just nice when beats are concerned. That's the only reason this record is above Soul On Ice by Ras Kass, the production is just too hot. I always try to imagine what Soul On Ice wouldve been like had Ras gotten Large Pro, Pete Rock, Q-Tip, Dj Premo and possibly a Quik or Dre (being they are from the west) on it.

peace.

7 Syns said:
That can be argued, look at who got on The Game's debut? Fair enough Just Blaze isn't Large Professor and Kanye West is no Pete Rock but The Documentry was beautifully laced production wise. Dr. Dre, Kanye West, Just Blaze, Cool & Dre, Timbaland, Hi-Tek and ofcourse Buckwild.

On Illmatic though, yeah that record is just nice when beats are concerned. That's the only reason this record is above Soul On Ice by Ras Kass, the production is just too hot. I always try to imagine what Soul On Ice wouldve been like had Ras gotten Large Pro, Pete Rock, Q-Tip, Dj Premo and possibly a Quik or Dre (being they are from the west) on it.

peace.
that's a good point there... o man... how nice would it be to see Soul On Ice reissued with all new beats by those 4 producers...

sorry to say this but i didnt really feel the productions on the album :(
just my opinion though they arent bad at all but i just dont feel em

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.