Hot 97 under surveillance; faces eviction

The popular hip-hop radio station Hot 97 will be permanently monitored by the New York Police Department as of this week.

Due to a long history of violence outside of the station, the NYPD has deemed it necessary to install a permanent surveillance camera which will monitor Hot 97's broadcasting building twenty-four hours a day.

This particular camera, the first of five-hundred cameras erected in a $9-million crack down on New York street crime, is being established for the sole purpose of discouraging musically orientated violence outside of the radio station’s HQ at 395 Hudson Street.

A police source told the New York Daily News that “we’ll keep it in place until Hot 97 is evicted or cleans up its act.”

Last week rapper Gravy, who was due to appear on the radio station, was shot in the buttocks by an unknown assailant.

“It was a clean shot. It went straight through and just missed my pelvis bone and my stomach area to make me have a shit bag," said Gravy. “It's all about luck, it was eleven rounds and I only took one hit."

The New York City District Council of Carpenters, the owners of the building in which the radio station is housed, has moved to evict the business from the premises – a move strongly supported by local tenants.

Attorney for the organisation Brian O'Dwyer told the New York Daily News that “lawyers will be meeting with their clients [today] and examining all their options.”

ArtsyGirl

Lets be real, everytime a rapper is killed we all say "stop the violence" if the hip hop police want to install a camera that may stop some shootings that can possibly kill someone, why not? They shouldnt be shootin in the first place. These guys are musicians, if they are doing anything illegal outfront Hot97 then they are stupid.

S O F I

Administrator
Staff member
artisticgurl said:
Lets be real, everytime a rapper is killed we all say "stop the violence" if the hip hop police want to install a camera that may stop some shootings that can possibly kill someone, why not? They shouldnt be shootin in the first place. These guys are musicians, if they are doing anything illegal outfront Hot97 then they are stupid.
Well, for one, rappers won't come to the show as often because they know they'll be monitored. Nobody likes to be watched by cops. Second, it's not rappers that shoot and commit the crimes neccessarily. It's people that wish to hurt the rappers. But, I don't think HOT97 would complain much about the security cameras. The problem is, I think, that the people in the area are trying to throw them out.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.