Hip-hop sales down 22.4%

Compared to the first six months of 2005, the first half of 2006 has seen a 22.4% drop in album sales. 53.8 million units have been sold this year, which is a notable drop from 2006’s 69.3 million. These figures also take into account the sale of R&B albums.

Music industry insiders find the figures troubling, especially given the star studded line up of releases this year which include Mary. J. Blige, T.I., Ne-Yo and Jamie Foxx. The numbers are not a good indication for mainstream urban music, which is currently in a downswing as it is.

Hopes are riding on the albums due from Beyonce, Ludacris, OutKast, Janet Jackson and Game to make up the gap.

The statistics were calculated from data compiled by Nielsen SoundScan.

its not just the south its the whole music industry tryin to provide hip hop fans with garbage music that there sells r goin down..they should take this as a lesson and start puttin out real good music not no bullshit..

That could be a good thing. If hiphop loses its mainstream appeal faggots that have nothing to do with it won't rape it for all it's worth for a few bucks.

AmerikazMost

KAMIKAZI said:
That could be a good thing. If hiphop loses its mainstream appeal faggots that have nothing to do with it won't rape it for all it's worth for a few bucks.
lmao i'm for that

And people wonder why rappers want to leave for acting.

Yeah, I don't listen to much that has been released lately. I have bought a ton of underground/semi underground stuff lately. MF Doom, MF Grimm, all the artists from QN5 (whom are fucking incredible), etc. I will undoubtably buy the Outkast album, because they are great. The only decent mainstream release I have bought this year was Ghostface's new CD.

Man, this shouldn't make a rap fan happy but man am I happy.

I'm sick of people acting like crunk and hyphy and all that other garbage is just as good as music, say, from the 90s.

22.4%, that is quite the decrease there. Maybe now people will realise hip hop is dying.

Diaz said:
Man, this shouldn't make a rap fan happy but man am I happy.

I'm sick of people acting like crunk and hyphy and all that other garbage is just as good as music, say, from the 90s.

22.4%, that is quite the decrease there. Maybe now people will realise hip hop is dying.

in a sense i agree but it also could be due to our economy ,the war , gas , ect.....

People are generally not spending as much as they once were. Its so much cheaper to just download and burn a 15 cent cd then to buy a 11.99 or 16.99 dollar cd. I personally enjoy to throw some loot 2 my fav rappers but most ppl jus dont .

i'm glad as well too see the drop in sales. i can't help but hope that what's given to us today is done by greedy label folks. honestly, we don't have too many actual "artist" in the rap game these days. everyone wants to get rich quick and shine on bullshit to be hard. no one wants to just make a good song these days. they all just follow the "should work" blueprint to quick cash and the music suffers for it.

so maybe if the money becomes less a factor, the music won't suffer as much.

ArtsyGirl

I hope it helps create a swing that develops into some real Hip Hop getting some shine. Looking forward to the Beyonce, OutKast and Nas albums and I dont have a problem giving my money to some real artists but if less people are buying the garbage atleast that might make room for the guys/girls with real talent to come thru.

Yea, even for me who owns over 500 CDs, i have not done a lot of downloading and certainly not a lot of buying this year compared to other years. Shit is just wack out there right now. And then this fucking Southern bubble gum rap is taking over.

GOOD

Maybe not the 'Industry' can find some other type of music to exploit and offer a better Return on Investment.

Gimmie my music back.
Bitches.

Flipmo

VIP Member
Staff member
There are way too many artists coming out and not everyone of them are meant to be 'superstars', so alot of these guys won't sell too much. The fact that the same shit is in rotation over and over on the radio and it all sounds the same just doesn't make an album worth buying. Other genres of music have been on the rise big time just like rap did at one point, and example is Electronic music (progressive, Trance, Goa, etc) and I've been a big fan of Rap and Electronica since I was much younger, so I'm hoping that marketing and businesses don't rape that genre, but in the end, everything has it's popular point and then it's downfall just like disco did and it became overrun by 80s rock..

One thing for sure is, real artists who put alot of effort and soul into their music won't dissapear, groups like Outkast for example.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.