Hip Hop in 2006: Far from dead; just not very alive

Skulking around dusty covered vinyl’s in a gravel dunged record store whilst my best friend seeks out abstract indie bands isn’t an exciting pursuit of mine. If I were to employ Hugh Grant's time consumption methodology as seen in About A Boy, the two units I expend when partaking in such an activity would be better spent sitting on my john staring into space. Nonetheless, I go along for the ride because I’m a nice guy and on occasions my congeniality coins are reimbursed when I’m led to experimental musicianship that might otherwise escape my ears through other mediums.

Recently, my trips have yielded a plethora of sub-genre delights such as the Anticon-esque weirdness of Busdriver’s Fear Of A Black Tangent, the well-groomed surrealism of cLOUDDEAD and some nonconformist spoken word musings from Castleboy. Whilst I admire the envelope pushing of the aforementioned artists, none of them are excitable enough to convince me to part ways with my hard earned nicker.

Accordingly, I usually wait for my friend to conclude his bottom shelf exploration before reassuming my trustworthy position in the dependable sanctuary of [enter mainstream record outlet here] to ponder the large array of mainstream hip hop conventionalism before me. Upon surveying the wide selection of well known artists, I come to the same prior realisation that nothing in front of me is excitable enough to warrant expenditure. Herein lies my problem.

I’m not a tight fisted bastard and I like spending payola on dope music but hip hop as a genre isn’t working hard enough to assault my monthly pay check. It’s not even working hard enough to persuade me into using my once well exercised fingers to scour file sharing clients for downloads.

As the year 2006 concludes in the midst of a forth quarter corporate driven debate about whether hip is dead, the more discerning hip hop head will be aware that the grounds for posing such a ridiculous question exists only inside the minds of Def Jam marketing executives. One need only look at the quality releases over the course of this year to render such a suggestion laughable.

My assertion that 2006 has seen some fuego joints might seem at odds with my sentiment that hip hop isn’t doing enough to necessitate my interest. On the contrary, whilst I have no problems extolling the virtues of the high quality 06' offerings, in terms of dopeness alone, few joints compare to those of yesteryear and consequently my wallet is becoming fatter.

Maybe my standards have become too high or maybe 2006 hasn’t provided yours truly with enough certified classics to stop me voicing my discontent. Don’t get it twisted…Hip hop always falls into a slump every now and then....this is why I’m not on some “we need a revolution quick” shit.

I just hope 2007 won't disappoint me as much. My time units are valuable.

PuffnScruff

i thought there was some pretty good stuff to come out this year but most people wouldnt give the artists the time of day. they might not have been mainstream material but they were good albums.

7 Syns

I don't think the problem is hip-hop, rather the fans who are growing up rapidly with it. The old cliché "been there, done that" or in our circumstance "heard that, bumped that" could be applied here.

2006 may not pack a punch of quality "consistent" driven music of say the mid-to-early 90's but one shouldn't expect so much. For the most part if you search hard enough, chances are you will find what you are searching for.

I strayed away from the more corporate crafted albums to satisfy my ever evolving musical hunger and to be brutally honest, in 2006, I was far from disappointed.

What seemed to kick off and start as a beer-fested, lost count of how many times I replayed Ghostface's FishScale perhaps it was fitting that it would come to an end with More Fish. I know you out of all people on this site not including your bizarro-world twin roaches or dutch counterpart Chronic would have dwelled deep into mom's and pop's store shelves searching for something like a remedy, if not a cure, to jump-start the year or at the very least salvage it.

But like I said, maybe you didn't search hard enough this year as compared to others for that specific album/EP/mixtape/vinyl that would have you screaming inside "damn, I want more!". It's not your fault, it's the fact that the corporate world no-longer wants to associate or support artists who have the abilities, musically and creativity wise, to feed us with that. In saying that, artists like that are around. Always have and always will be.

I once did a line "hip-hop ain't dead, just passed the fuck out after receiving some head".

Nice post though :thumb:

peace.

There were a couple nice ones but i agree that there was a lot of crap i wouldnt buy or buy again if i had the choice. however albohemia and 7syns i must say that you both write very well. usually when i see long post i skim but you two were both interesting enough to keep my attention. hope you will take that as a compliment and good luck on your future purchases and downloads. thanks

does anybody else think Jeezy's "I Luv It" sounds a lil like T.I.'s "What U KNow" beat....but yeah, i only buy underground shit...last mainstream cd i bought was the game's N' t.i.'s cd....other than that, i keep it low key

WayCide-Ridah said:
does anybody else think Jeezy's "I Luv It" sounds a lil like T.I.'s "What U KNow" beat....but yeah, i only buy underground shit...last mainstream cd i bought was the game's N' t.i.'s cd....other than that, i keep it low key
Correct.
I agree with Albohemia but I still think the Clipse album has been the best for years.

S. Fourteen said:
OK, it's dying.. idiots can now leave hip hop behind and go listen to something else. Better for the people who stay behind.
Hip hop isn't dying but I sure hope you copped a manufacturers warrantee with that crystal ball you purchased over the festive period. I've always found tarot cards to be more reliable.

Latest posts

Donate

Any donations will be used to help pay for the site costs, and anything donated above will be donated to C-Dub's son on behalf of this community.

Members online

No members online now.